Welcome to PatsFans.com

Gas Station Chain Fined Over Prices

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsFanInMaine, Feb 27, 2006.

1. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

2. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

I actually like the law. In most fair trade programs there is a price floor to keep smaller companies in business. Of course, I wish the floor was much lower these days.
  3. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

As long as they were warned a couple of times, I'm ok with it. I'd guess that in the case of the 140k fine the station probably told the state to stick it a couple of times. The state has a legitimate interest in maintaining healthy competition.
  4. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think the state would have a healthy interest in building more refineries and in drilling for oil in places where we know it to be, also.

I know as a gas-buying consumer, it would certainly be in my interest.
  5. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I think the state should have the biggest interest in moving us away from oil (and not with that ethanol junk-science crap).
  6. Chevy

Chevy Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I personally think that law goes against the tenets of a free market. If I, as a business owner, wish to live above my shop and work longer hours so that I can cut 3 or 4 percent off my markup, then that is my business.

BTW - this was brought up here in Louisana, but was shot down quickly.

If anything, the government needs to crack down on unofficial price gouging more than worrying about someone not charging enough.
  7. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +776 / 8 / -10

Disable Jersey

I have not researched ethanol in detail personally but I fear that it may be 'junk science' in that there seem to be legit concerns that the energy consumed in creating ethanol (farming, tractors, harvesting, processing) exceeds that saved in adding it to gasoline and consuming it in autos. I hope that skepticism is unwarranted.
  8. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

9. Chevy

Chevy Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

10. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

11. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

That hits the nail right on the head. It takes more energy to produce ethanol than you get from burning it. It's a convenient excuse to give corn farmers subsidies, which would normally go against free-trade agreements.
  12. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

13. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Pujo...ethanol is just one of a half dozen alternatives that needs to be addressed. Biodeisel and methanol are others. Its not the solution itself, but it is one essential component of a broader, more responsible energy policy. And if it saves some family farms through energy cooperatives, that would be a good thing. You do realize how much we subsidize the petroleum industry, whats the problem with investing internally with farm subsidies if it also contributes to our national security?

Big mike has other ideas about using organic waste streams to convert algae to biofuels. Breakthoughs are underway in using bacterial fermentation to convert cellulose to fuels. These things all have to be examined as well.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater because corn-ethanol conversion is not yet perfect...we should be looking at that as the right direction, if not a perfect solution.
  14. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Oh, I agree completely that other renewable energy sources are feasable and absolutely critical to our survival. My beef is specifically with ethanol, which doesn't seem like it will ever be feasable. Wind, energy from waste, nuclear power, wave energy, and geothermal power seem like the ways to go.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  15. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

We are NEVER going away from the monopoly companies. Whatever the fuel of choice is...the dominant companies will be there...so will uncle slam. We have to fund our own demise.
  16. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +776 / 8 / -10

Disable Jersey

That's my energy policy right there, along with solar voltiacs and a 25 year migration to hydrogen (needs nukes to split water for H2). Sadly, it looks like MA pols (Romney, Kennedy) and the beautiful people with Hyannis waterfront properties are about to legislate Cape Wind out of the picture.