Welcome to PatsFans.com

Gas and oil prices

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by scott c, Sep 14, 2006.

1. scott c

scott c Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The selfish bastards are finally going to get whats coming to them.Fuel prices have been so high that everyone is seeking better fuel economical vehicles and burning more wood and other alternative fuels.Prices are dropping fast and if we all stick to our guns instead of forgetting and going back to our old ways we can kick these money hungry bastards right in the nuts.Lets send a message to them and keep conserving energy.I'd like nothing more than them not be able to eventually give their fuel away.I urge everyone not to forget and to stay angry.Even wood prices have gone way up,but I'd rather give my money to Bubba up the street than to some greedy bastard CEO who ruthlessly picks my pocket.:mad:
  2. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -1

I agree but I'm afraid this thread belongs (or will belong) in a different forum, politically speaking.....
  3. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +569 / 1 / -3

#75 Jersey

Historians will look back at the 1970-2006 era as a time of scandal - - where big oil interests destroyed America (except for Texas).
  4. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +387 / 6 / -9

Presumably this will happen after a conversion to something other than a fossil-feul based economy. For right now, the go juice is what everybody needs and some people (the oil companies and the states in which the resource resides) control. It's like Dune, dude.

Of course, the best way to render the turmoil of the Middle East irrelevent, is to find some feul other than decayed dinosaur on which to depend. By the way, you work less to buy a gallon of gas now than in 1980... so there's no way the "payback" for the oil companies is in sight yet (figure the Exxon lynchings to start north of the $5/gallon point.)

PFnV
  5. mcbee

mcbee Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I weep for my country when I read such drivel. "Big oil" produce about 10% of world oil supply, they no more control prices than the man on the moon.

Raw oil is $1.50 a gallon, about half the price of milk. Are milk farmers "gouging"?

World discoveries of oil peaked 40 years ago and the older fields are depleting fast. I think we'll look back on these years and wonder why we complained when we had it so good.

The accouting profits they earn are because they have revenue of $70 oil against their finding costs of $5 per barrel, 20-30 years ago when it was discovered.

These are the same selfish bastards who invested tons of money in the early 1980s, broke the back of the OPEC oil cartel and saw the price of their commodity go from $40 to $10. At that point it was 25 cents per gallon. Now why would they "let" it go to $10 if they control the prices of oil so easily? I mean everyone EXPECTED in 1980 that oil would go up if anything. One famous economist predicted that it would go up 15% a year forever, and would be completely gone in 30 years. That was 1980. Instead these companies bet their companies discovering oil in the North Sea, invented horizontal drilling to better extract oil, etc, and the PRICE WENT DOWN. It was cheaper than bottled water for 20 YEARS.

So where were you? WEre you writing threads about how lucky we are and how we should thank them for selling us this incredibly useful product at 25 cents per gallon? Cheaper than bottled water? No. The price goes up to 1/2 the price of milk and you're calling for their heads. It's just illiteracy in economic form.

How about how oil prices stayed level for 20 years at 20-25 per barrel even as housing prices quadrupled (but that's the free market, you say!), and everything else in society at least doubled. Does that merit a "gee, that's pretty neat how oil prices haven't risen"? No.

So tell me, what SHOULD oil prices be? $10 a barrel? At that point no oil company in the world will invest anything in new production, why would they? They'd lose money. Meanwhile the second largest field in the world is declining 15% per YEAR. The largest field is 50 years old, Ghawar. What will happen when these fields inevitably die? Where will the oil come from then? IT won't. But at least those damn oil companies won't be making a profit!

I have an idea. When you sell your house which you purchased in 1975 for $50,000, you have to sell it for $55,000 tops. Even though the neighbors are selling theirs for $500,000. If you say "but the market price is 500K", then by your own definition, you're a greedy bastard.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  6. scott c

scott c Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

This is not about one company or even one country,Mcbee should take a Mcbreak and realize that some people in my area cant afford to heat their homes or fuel their vehicles for the drive to their minimum wage jobs.As far as oil cheaper than water,in some of the ****holes we buy it from,it should be.Water is a whole diff. story.We have to have it to survive.Oil we need to do without as much as possible.Mcbee must be related to Bush or cheney.................THE CONSUMERS WERE BEING GOUGED,no ifs ands or buts about it.................
  7. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +569 / 1 / -3

#75 Jersey

Did Milk Farmers get to have a closed door commission with Dick Cheney?

Are they actively blocking new technologies for alternative milk products?

Does their product cause geopolitical strife?

Are the Vice President and President of the United States former Milk Industry executives?

Did a Milk corporation recently announce this past quarter the highest dollar quarterly profit in the history of private corporations? ......just narrowly beating the previous record........it's OWN from the PREVIOUS quarter?......several months after said corporation's industry received a $4 billion dollar handout from the U.S. Government (run by the previously mentioned former "Milk" excutives?)

The "inflation-adjusted" cost is an old canard. Tell me, McBee, how much does a computer or television cost today relative to 1970?

I'm actually one of those who hopes the cost of oil RISES as soon as possible. Then, maybe we can get some progress on alternative fuels that will be friendlier to the environment, won't be a cash cow for Al-Qaida and Texans, will help our own national security, create more jobs in this country and will not run out.
  8. scott c

scott c Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Right on shmessy,your way too smart.............glad your on my side............:rocker: