Garrnett to Boston...

Boston Boxer

U.S. Air Force Retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
talk of a deal are this. Boston gets Garrnett and gives up Big Al, Green, Telfair and the #5. I hate this trade. I don't want to give up Al.

talk of a deal are this. Boston gets Garrnett and gives up Big Al, Green, Telfair and the #5. I hate this trade. I don't want to give up Al.

It's just way too much to give up.

If we do pull a trade, I hope it's one with a much less steep price, ie the rumored Marion trade.

Last edited:
I wouldn't trade Al straight up for one year of Garnett. The fact the rumor has Boston sweetening the pot makes me feel much better because it shows there's nothing to it.

McHale might want all of that, but there's no way he's getting it.

For some reason, Garnett isn't too eager to come here. I can't imagine why.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2912075

Think we can send them Telfair anyway?

Thank God. Even if Ainge wanted to do something stupid Garnett wouldn't let him.

I don't worry too much about guys like Telfair. He makes peanuts and could be cut with minimal impact. I still like that the Telfair trade allowed them to unload Raef.

For some reason, Garnett isn't too eager to come here. I can't imagine why.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2912075

Think we can send them Telfair anyway?

our three chips with the most upside are: gerald, al, and the number five pick
i really didnt wanna give up all three

then again, i didnt realize we could give wally back
that woulda been kinda nice

what sux is that it says marion doesnt wanna come here
so who does???

I question how much value the #5 pick has to us... we've got plenty of youth and have been building for the future for the last decade it seems.

A Garnett trade effectively accepts the fact that Jefferson is a force on one side of the basket, whereas Garnett is a force on both sides.

Sure Jefferson has more upsdie but Garnett has realized his upside.

Basically one has to ask oneself what would a team with Garnett and Pierce be able to accomplish in the next three years as opposed to the status quo.

I think Garnett and Pierce can make some good things happen right away.

Basically one has to ask oneself what would a team with Garnett and Pierce be able to accomplish in the next three years as opposed to the status quo.

If they'd have him for 3 years I just might like he idea. The reality is that they'd only get him for 1.

Trading might be the way to go, but Garnett is not the right target.

I do not like this trade, will satisfy some short term goals, but in three years will just be another mediocre NBA team.

Good article by Gerry Callahan in today's Herald. Talking about M.L. Carr and the acquisition of Dominique Wilkiins. After 12 seasons Wilkins was not the same player and the Celtics won three more games then the year before. I tend to think of Dave Cowens who played 10 seasons before surrendering. So you want to trade for the most expensive player in the league who's play is declining and might have two good years left? In addition, your giving up a young soon to be dominant big man, a lottery pick which may be a very good player in two years, and a point guard who most people are highly complimentary (Rondo). Yea, I make that trade, then reminisce of the glorious Rick Pitino days.

Good article by Gerry Callahan in today's Herald. Talking about M.L. Carr and the acquisition of Dominique Wilkiins. After 12 seasons Wilkins was not the same player and the Celtics won three more games then the year before. I tend to think of Dave Cowens who played 10 seasons before surrendering. So you want to trade for the most expensive player in the league who's play is declining and might have two good years left? In addition, your giving up a young soon to be dominant big man, a lottery pick which may be a very good player in two years, and a point guard who most people are highly complimentary (Rondo). Yea, I make that trade, then reminisce of the glorious Rick Pitino days.

Callahan was so on point with that article. I remember my friends step dad busting out a cigar during that press conference, and me feeling like the C's were contenders again. HA!

Anyhow, I'm glad we didn't make the trade. I'd give up #5, but not Jefferson. I don't think people realize that we are not far from being a competitive team. Not contenders mind you, but competitive. See, if you trade your entire future for a 3 year run of the 2nd round, and maybe the ECF's, then you're ultimately just a competitive team. I'd much prefer we draft at #5, compete to a lesser degree, and then have a 10 year window to make noise.

Wilkins is like Garnett?

We're trying to compare the acquisition of a 35 year old has been to a 31 year old who has led the league in rebounds 2 staright years while being 1st and 2nd team all NBA?

The Celtics only real option with Garnett publicly dissing them and Marion dissing them as well is to tear it down and trade Pierce before he has no value. In the unlikely event that the young players develop into the foundation of a contender Pierce will no longer be an all star caliber player. You are looking at 5 years before guys like Jefferson hit their prime by which time Pierce will be 35.

He's most likely one more useless offseason (which we are headed for) and a 2 game November losing streak from demanding a trade and when he does his value goes down.

Wilkins is like Garnett?

We're trying to compare the acquisition of a 35 year old has been to a 31 year old who has led the league in rebounds 2 staright years while being 1st and 2nd team all NBA?

The Celtics only real option with Garnett publicly dissing them and Marion dissing them as well is to tear it down and trade Pierce before he has no value. In the unlikely event that the young players develop into the foundation of a contender Pierce will no longer be an all star caliber player. You are looking at 5 years before guys like Jefferson hit their prime by which time Pierce will be 35.

He's most likely one more useless offseason (which we are headed for) and a 2 game November losing streak from demanding a trade and when he does his value goes down.

I don't think Callahan was comparing the two as was pointing out that he is already not the same player he was. That can be said of almost any NBA player toward the end of their careers. The point is, the fans who root for this trade to happen are looking for immediate gratification even if its for two years and means not winning a championship (sorry KG and Pierce do not win first prize). I would welcome the trade of Pierce, just don't think we can get value for him, I'm sure Ainge has at least hinted in all his talks with different clubs.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back