Garret Wolfe, RB, Northern Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gon_Trevil

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Here's a report on him from SI's Don Banks:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/don_banks/02/27/wolfe/index.html

Looks like someone we could snatch as a day 2 pick.

Very small at 5'7, 186, but posted the best cone and shuttle drills among RBs in the draft. Size makes durability a concern, but since we're only looking for a complimentary back, he seems to be a perfect fit. Maroney can handle his own goal line carries (he's big enough, strong enough, and more than quick enough). Wolfe could fit the bill as a 8-10 carries per game kind of guy, with Maroney getting around 16-20 carries.

And please, if you're one of those people who don't like RB combos, then we've already heard your opinion. Let the rest of us discuss whoever we like as Maroney's sidekick.

Last edited:

Very small at 5'7, 186, but posted the best cone and shuttle drills among RBs in the draft. Size makes durability a concern, but since we're only looking for a complimentary back, he seems to be a perfect fit. Maroney can handle his own goal line carries (he's big enough, strong enough, and more than quick enough). Wolfe could fit the bill as a 6-9 carries per game kind of guy, just a speller with no strong ties to any down or situation, with Maroney getting around 18-20 carries.

And please, if you're one of those people who don't like RB combos, then we've already heard your opinion. Let the rest of us discuss whoever we like as Maroney's sidekick.

it may be a possiblity. speaking as an NIU grad, he is very small and yes durability may be a big concern. during the bowl game he was shut down.

Very small at 5'7, 186, but posted the best cone and shuttle drills among RBs in the draft. Size makes durability a concern, but since we're only looking for a complimentary back, he seems to be a perfect fit. Maroney can handle his own goal line carries (he's big enough, strong enough, and more than quick enough). Wolfe could fit the bill as a 8-10 carries per game kind of guy, with Maroney getting around 16-20 carries.

I don't know much about Wolfe but I agree that maroney has enough power and skill to handle short yardage situation and further more he would probably be upset if we brought someone in to be a short yardage back as he is probably hoping that he gets corey's TD runs next year.

Wolfe is interesting, in that he slumped late last season. He played amazingly in games against big time competition (torched both Michigan and Ohio State- not easy to do) and I've always been enamored with him. Not sure he's the type of back we need, though.

Living in Chicago, I saw him play a bot. I wouldn't want him based on the size and style of runner he is. He doesn't hit the holes hard enough, and often dances in the back field. . . .no thanks. I'd much prefer the back out of UMass, whos name is escaping me. . . . .

Wolfe impressed me with his bench..he had somewhere between 22-26 i think..very good for a guy his size

Wolfe is interesting, in that he slumped late last season. He played amazingly in games against big time competition (torched both Michigan and Ohio State- not easy to do) and I've always been enamored with him. Not sure he's the type of back we need, though.

Why isn't he the type of back we need? Do you mean we need a goal line back? I think Maroney can handle those duties himself. IMO we just need someone who can be effective spelling him, preferably without losing the big play potential we have with Maroney on the field.

And he wouldn't wear down if we only give him 8-10 carries per game.

Living in Chicago, I saw him play a bot. I wouldn't want him based on the size and style of runner he is. He doesn't hit the holes hard enough, and often dances in the back field. . . .no thanks. I'd much prefer the back out of UMass, whos name is escaping me. . . . .

Bad news there, but it sounds like something that can be coached. I'm not really sure about this, but don't a lot of college RBs come in with a reputation as a dancer and whatnot (something they can get away with in college), and then learn to become more aggressive in the pros?

Then again, some players never learn...

Wolfe impressed me with his bench..he had somewhere between 22-26 i think..very good for a guy his size

I'd think that bench pressing helps the good ol' stiff arm. I'm liking this guy more now as a day 2 gamble. If it doesn't work, well, you can't hit EVERY late draft pick you make. Just ask Cedric Cobbs. But I think it's very much worth a shot.

Baylark .....

Too runty a RB for my tastes. I was pretty big on drafting Michael Turner "the Burner". The guy had legs like tree trunks and speed and power too. The Chargers got him and now they have 2 quality backs.
If I were looking for a back I'd look for the guy with the low powerful build and strong legs. Maurice Drew Jones also has a similar build to Turner and we all know how he turned out.

Maroney is a bit of a finesse guy. So I'd want a power guy to complement him. The guy doesn't have to be tall but he'd better have a lot of leg drive and some heft to him so he won't go down with mere arm tackles. I find it hard to believe that a guy as small as Wolfe would fit the bill.

Just compare the two profiles and objectively think which guy would translate to the pros better (ignoring what you already know about how good Turner actually is).

Michael Turner's profile 5-10, 237, 4.42 40
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/michael_turner

Garret Wolfe's profile 5-7, 177, 4.45 40
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/rb/garrettwolfe.html

I do think the Pats need to look into a second back to spell Maroney but I'm really not enamored with Wolfe after looking at his scouting report and physical attributes.

I'd prefer a guy like say Marshawn Lynch 5-11, 217 4.46 40
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/lynch_marshawn

Scouting report on Lynch tabs him as a good, slippery inside runner with good vision. He's also supposedly good at blitz pickup which would certainly help Brady out. I think he would be a better complement to Maroney's skills. Maroney likes to take it to the outside more and he has the speed to get there. Not sure where Lynch is projected to go but the guy just sounds like a better back.

Last edited:
Turner was a second rounder. And unless you want to spend one of our 1st rounders on Lynch, he won't be a Pat.

Wolfe just seems like a guy that could have an effective career if used as a part timer. I think the main problem is that we probably wouldn't be able to count on him to carry the load should something unfortunate happen to Maroney.

Bush is the guy we'd want if he's still available. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down