PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Garoppolo's QB coach and college teammate share insights on his abilities and traits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I only see him as a reliable, serviceable back up or 20-25 overall kinda qb. There's alot of hype for this kid but i'm not falling for it.

Having said that, I hope i'm wrong.

I only see him as a reliable, serviceable back up or 20-25 overall kinda qb. There's alot of hype for this kid but i'm not falling for it.

Hey, Spy. I respect your viewpoint, though I don't necessarily agree with it (partially). My disagreement has nothing to do with where you feel he belongs in the QB rankings though. It's when you talk about the hype. I don't think there is any actual hype, per se. I think there is optimism. Hype, to me, would be if people were already proclaiming him the next coming. I don't believe I've seen or heard that from anybody in the media, local or otherwise. I have, however, heard people, myself included, express optimism that he can at least keep NE afloat during the suspension. And that would seem to fit your assertion that he's only a reliable, serviceable QB because that's what reliable, serviceable guys should be able to do when the star is not playing.

I do believe he has all the opportunity in the world to become more, though. He's learning from the greatest to ever do it for an OC who knows QB's well under the greatest HC certainly of this generation (and likely ever as Seau stated). He'll also (at least this season) be playing with a stacked deck on offense and backed by a D that looks primed to rank pretty high in every defensive category. The sky's the limit for him. He has too many things going in his favor to fail, though I know none of those same advantages is any guarantee of success either. We all will just have to see how things play out when it matters.

Last edited:
I think overall Jimmy is going to perform very well in this offense. He'll have a bad throw or two a game but because of the great coaching and immense talent surrounding him he'll do just fine.

The problem Jimmy has with the fans is that they've been watching Ted Williams for 15 years and now they are watching a 1962 Carl Yastremski (hopefully...:D)

I've watched him pretty closely in training camp, preseason games plus his very limited regular-season appearances and believe he has intriguing Drew Brees-like potential. What makes him possibly VERY special is his quick release. He is reasonably accurate, but that and his decision-making process will coalesce only with experience. He's mobile enough in the pocket to get out of trouble, can throw on the run and I think he's a smart, motivated kid. I really hope he succeeds here. I think we'll see a little different offense tailored around his skill set when he's in there, possibly more rollouts and quick-hitting plays.

Hoping for the best. All summer to get ready to play the Cardinals.

Jim McBride: These traits can make Jimmy Garoppolo a successful starter for the Patriots - The Boston Globe

Really great read right here^^^

I was excited by Jimmy G. the moment we drafted him, and more so now that we finally get to see him play for a full game. He has my 100% support, and if he plays with promise, I hope the Patriots find a way to keep both him and Brady for another season. Time will tell....

Here is one line that stands out for me:
"Our offense at Eastern Illinois, that is what we were known for: our ability to go to the field and to adjust and react to what teams were doing, and that is definitely one of Jimmy’s strengths,’’ Lora said last week from his home in Miami."

That sure sounds like the hallmark of what the Patriots do on offense.. If Jimmy can do that during his 1st 4 games with the Pats, they are going to have some tough decisions to make..

I think how he looks will be tied directly to the health of Edelman and Dion. Defenses are going to blitz him like there is no tomorrow early on. He needs Edelman and Dion out there for quick outlets and dump offs. I hope he shows out because, if he does, it will tell the team what they need to do regarding the QB position in the coming years.

I think how he looks will be tied directly to the health of Edelman and Dion. Defenses are going to blitz him like there is no tomorrow early on. He needs Edelman and Dion out there for quick outlets and dump offs. I hope he shows out because, if he does, it will tell the team what they need to do regarding the QB position in the coming years.
You won't see him hanging long in the pocket like Brady waiting for all the read options to develop. He'll be rolling out, doing a lot of quick-hitting stuff; I think his quick release is going to pay off. But, I also think he will throw some long balls, which he did well in college.

I've watched him pretty closely in training camp, preseason games plus his very limited regular-season appearances and believe he has intriguing Drew Brees-like potential. What makes him possibly VERY special is his quick release. He is reasonably accurate, but that and his decision-making process will coalesce only with experience. He's mobile enough in the pocket to get out of trouble, can throw on the run and I think he's a smart, motivated kid. I really hope he succeeds here. I think we'll see a little different offense tailored around his skill set when he's in there, possibly more rollouts and quick-hitting plays.
Yeah, it seems pretty clear he has all the tools he needs to succeed as a upper level NFL QB. He just has to put in the work. He's smart, has absolutely beautiful throwing mechanics with that lightening release. He just needs to develop the ability to process the field quickly enough and he's good to go.

Hey, Spy. I respect your viewpoint, though I don't necessarily agree with it (partially). My disagreement has nothing to do with where you feel he belongs in the QB rankings though. It's when you talk about the hype. I don't think there is any actual hype, per se. I think there optimism. Hype, to me, would be if people were already proclaiming him the next coming. I don't believe I've seen or heard that from anybody in the media, local or otherwise. I have, however, heard people, myself included, express optimism that he can at least keep NE afloat during the suspension. And that would seem to fit your assertion that he's only a reliable, serviceable QB because that's what reliable, serviceable guys should be able to do when the star is not playing.

I do believe he has all the opportunity in the world to become more, though. He's learning from the greatest to ever do it for an OC who knows QB's well under the greatest HC certainly of this generation (and likely ever as Seau stated). He'll also (at least this season) be playing with a stacked deck on offense and backed by a D that looks primed to rank pretty high in every defensive category. The sky's the limit for him. He has too many things going in his favor to fail, though I know none of those same advantages is any guarantee of success either. We all will just have to see how things play out when it matters.

Well said. I don't know, i've been hearing guys talk about him looking like a young aaron rodgers or a tony romo and just the way analysts hint on tv when they gloat about him, it just sounds like he's being talked up in certain corners. He's certainly got a good skill set, nice arm, quick release, athletic but the qb position is more than that as we all know.

I want him to do well obviously but I am also biased in the sense that I don't want a qb controversy. I remember the Matt Cassel over Tom Brady crowd a while back which was absolutely ludicrous. I know different circumstances now with Brady being older but man, I want to see him break all the passing records as a Patriot.

I think the question should be simple - who gives this team a better chance to win Superbowls over the next 3-5 years. Although I understand the team plans in the near, mid, and long-term, this team needs to be motivated to make Goodell's life hell over whatever remaining years he's kept on.

Say he does perform well, I just don't want him taking over Brady's job. I'd rather have Brady around another 3-4 years and if he is to break the all time yardage and td passing records, that he do it as a Patriot. I know i'm a little biased but i'd rather have Jimmy move on and be a starter somewhere else (if he is indeed legit)when the time comes.

If Jimmy fails we all know who to blame: Booby "Please let me touch your hiney, Roger" Krafty Bob. What a joke of an owner. Quote this if you're down.

If Jimmy fails we all know who to blame: Booby "Please let me touch your hiney, Roger" Krafty Bob. What a joke of an owner. Quote this if you're down.
I'm down!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey