PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Garoppolo trade value for 2015?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupofjoe1962

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Looking through the 2015 Mock Drafts it doesn't look like a deep QB crop.

Jameson Winston & Marcus Mariota are both projected to go in the top 5 picks of the 2015 Draft.

Winston seems to be an on the field winner, but he is a huge risk because of his off field troubles.
Mariota is probably a safer pick, but he is not known as an accurate passer.

I think Garoppalo could appear to be a better choice for the NFL than either Mariota or Winston.

I believe the Patriots drafted Mallett to use as a backup and then spin him for a higher pick in the future.
Unfortunately Mallett never impressed anyone on the field.

Garoppalo has looked good, and I can't help but wonder about his 2015 value.

What Mayo said. If there's no quality in this years draft crop, who backs up Brady? And if it's a FA, how much more does someone like Cassell cost over Garoppolo? Sometimes it's just better to have a backup you can rely on.

None, because his replacement cost would be higher than his trade value.

I disagree......

Who is the safer bet for the NFL, Garropalo, Winston, or Mariota.
If I was picking a college team I would go with Winston, but for the NFL I would go with Garropalo.
Now, we probably wouldn't get a top 10 pick for him, but what about a 10-20 pick?

Houston really needs a Quarterback.
Philly (20-25 range, may go QB).

Didn't we have enough of these with Hoyer and Mallet?

200.gif

First round pick for Gropp? Sure. No problem. That's what we got for Mallett and Hoyer...

...oh, wait...

I disagree......

Who is the safer bet for the NFL, Garropalo, Winston, or Mariota.
If I was picking a college team I would go with Winston, but for the NFL I would go with Garropalo.
Now, we probably wouldn't get a top 10 pick for him, but what about a 10-20 pick?

Houston really needs a Quarterback.
Philly (20-25 range, may go QB).

If Garoppolo was worth a top 10-20 pick, why didn't someone use one on him last year?

Looking through the 2015 Mock Drafts it doesn't look like a deep QB crop.

Jameson Winston & Marcus Mariota are both projected to go in the top 5 picks of the 2015 Draft.

Winston seems to be an on the field winner, but he is a huge risk because of his off field troubles.
Mariota is probably a safer pick, but he is not known as an accurate passer.

I think Garoppalo could appear to be a better choice for the NFL than either Mariota or Winston.

I believe the Patriots drafted Mallett to use as a backup and then spin him for a higher pick in the future.
Unfortunately Mallett never impressed anyone on the field.

Garoppalo has looked good, and I can't help but wonder about his 2015 value.
His value would be a late 2nd to early 3rd just as it was in may. He's done nothing to change that.

LOL after our Mallett giveaway I'm out of this game.

However if Cook really stays in school then Mariota is the only top QB IMO as Winston is more likely to be in jail in 5 years than in the pro bowl. So I would think it would be high but I liked Mallett' rade situation too and that didn't work out.

I like JG but if we could get a mid #1 I'd be all over it.

His value would be a late 2nd to early 3rd just as it was in may. He's done nothing to change that.
A terrible QB class changes it. Right now there's one first round QB unless you buy Winston.

Although Prescott would be another high #1, I believe, if he comes out.

and in that case Garoppolo would compete in a market place with the likes of Foles, Cassell, Manziel, Cousins who could all be surplus to requirements. Is Garoppolo worth one of those PLUS a first round pick?

Edit: And of course Ryan Mallett.

The missing part of the equation is the $. His 2015 salary is ~$580K, and his 2016 salary is ~$690K. Those are locked in stone.

Then again, this is how I see a Garoppolo trade conversation going this offseason:

GM: "Hey, Bill, it's [GM]. Would you be interested in trading Garoppolo?"
BB: "Would you be willing to give up two first-rounders?"
GM: "No."
*dial tone*

A trade will never happen for Garopollo.

If I was BB and I was going to trade Garoppolo I would demand 3 first round picks. That is what a franchise QB is worth and that is what I think Garopollo is going to be if you made me decide today.

No team is going to give that up. Which in a way is kinda silly.

A team would have given that up for Luck and did for RG3 and they showed nothing in the NFL before demanding that value. Garopollo has shown a lot of good things already and he IS the best rookie QB of this class I think.

However no team will do that for him cause the hype and potential matters more than reality to fans and that is who the GM & Owners report to.

Patsfans.com through week 4: "Brady will never be good ever again!"

Patsfans.com weeks 5-10: "We'll never need anyone but Brady ever again!"

Why would the Pats want to trade Garoppolo? That makes no sense. They've got a back up QB for a 37 year old starter at 1/10th the price it would take to sign a decent backup in free agency. And, he has already shown the intangibles to be a plausible successor to Brady.

He's worth much more to the Patriots than he would be to a trade partner. In fact, he has to be viewed as a very important player on the Pats' roster.

Wasn't Jimmy G drafted in the second round to be the heir apparent after TFB retires in a few years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back