PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Garnett -Done deal

Slagathor

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Wow!

I guess the Celts saw what Hype the Moss acquisition craeted for the Pats.

Plus Pierce ain't getting any younger.

Danny Ainge needs to be fired. He has lost his long term view.

He just traded away a STUD in Al Jefferson. After the all star break last season Al Jefferson was one of the top 5 players in the NBA.

Garnett is 32, Jefferson is 22, and this past year Jefferson outplayed Garnett when the Celtics played the T'Wolves.

godamnit Danny.

Danny Ainge needs to be fired. He has lost his long term view.

He just traded away a STUD in Al Jefferson. After the all star break last season Al Jefferson was one of the top 5 players in the NBA.

Garnett is 32, Jefferson is 22, and this past year Jefferson outplayed Garnett when the Celtics played the T'Wolves.

godamnit Danny.

I appreciate the enthusiasm but at NO point was AJ ever a top 5 player last year. He played alot better than before, but top 5 is a stretch.

Plus the biggest factor is you've got Paul Pierce getting older. You might as well go all out for one more big run.

My preference would have been to trade Pierce & start all over. But after making the Allen trade this was the obvious next chess piece to be had.

I'm a big fan of AJ. and would hate to see him go. That being said, Garnett, Pierce, Allen, put the Celtics in the championship game with a good chance of winning. As good as Jefferson is, he will probably never touch Garnett's game. That is the word from the most knowledgeable basketball gurus. You can also blast Ainge all you want, but he deserves at least as much a time frame as any of the previous Celtic gm's who have not won any championships. The only reason the Celtics are in the running for Garnett is due to the drafting and assembling of talent that Ainge pulled the trigger on. So all the great NBA teams which covet Garnett, all the NBA cities with their oasis of palm trees and night life, all those NBA cities lose out to Garnett, because he chooses to come to Boston and signs an extension putting Boston on the road their next championship. Yea, fire Danny.

I appreciate the enthusiasm but at NO point was AJ ever a top 5 player last year. He played alot better than before, but top 5 is a stretch.

I forgot which media stat guy did the analysis, but there's a list of Big Al as one of the best players in the league last year after the all star break. I just tried to look for it, couldn't find it immediately, but here are Al's stats from ESPN:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/splits?statsId=3832

After the all star break, Big Al averaged 20pts/game, 11.5rebs, 1.7blks, 1.1stls, shot 55%. in april he average 22.3pts, 10rebs, 2.5blks, 1.3 stls, shot 59%.

Who is a more promising 22 year old in the league than Big Al?

I forgot which media stat guy did the analysis, but there's a list of Big Al as one of the best players in the league last year after the all star break. I just tried to look for it, couldn't find it immediately, but here are Al's stats from ESPN:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/splits?statsId=3832

After the all star break, Big Al averaged 20pts/game, 11.5rebs, 1.7blks, 1.1stls, shot 55%. in april he average 22.3pts, 10rebs, 2.5blks, 1.3 stls, shot 59%.

Who is a more promising 22 year old in the league than Big Al?

I've been against trading Big Al, but your argument is flawed when you think of the context in which he played well last season.

Pierce went down, simply put, somebody else was going to have to get points. This team was considered a joke last season, and most teams barely showed up to play us, to the point where it felt disrespectful (Spurs & Pistons games come to mind).

I would have loved to see if Al is the real deal, I think the reason it doesn't make that much sense to deal him is b/c he is both a help in the short term and in the long term.

That said, if the deal is done, so be it, I'll be excited about it. Jefferson's defense has left a lot to be desired, and his inexperience on that side of the ball has led to a lot of mistakes, and made other players D look bad in the process. We got a lot better defensively. We'll be a contender again. That is something that might never have happened under Big Al's career as a Celtic.

I've been against trading Big Al, but your argument is flawed when you think of the context in which he played well last season.

Pierce went down, simply put, somebody else was going to have to get points. This team was considered a joke last season, and most teams barely showed up to play us, to the point where it felt disrespectful (Spurs & Pistons games come to mind).

I would have loved to see if Al is the real deal, I think the reason it doesn't make that much sense to deal him is b/c he is both a help in the short term and in the long term.

That said, if the deal is done, so be it, I'll be excited about it. Jefferson's defense has left a lot to be desired, and his inexperience on that side of the ball has led to a lot of mistakes, and made other players D look bad in the process. We got a lot better defensively. We'll be a contender again. That is something that might never have happened under Big Al's career as a Celtic.

I tend to agree with you - it may be that 5 years from now that the T-Wolves clearly got the better of this deal - especially if AJ, Green etc. develop to their potential.

But the list of young guys in the NBA who fail to live up to their potential is a long one... much longer than the list of guys who the Celts have given up on too early (of which there are quite a few as well)

Although their stats aren't that different from last year, Garnett's a much better defensive presence, and gets his points the hard way - AJ still has to prove he can do it consistently in tough environments.

What I'm unclear on is how we stack up in the east now, and if Garnett's enough of an inside presence to bring us to the championship. Any insight would be appreciated.

I tend to agree with you - it may be that 5 years from now that the T-Wolves clearly got the better of this deal - especially if AJ, Green etc. develop to their potential.

But the list of young guys in the NBA who fail to live up to their potential is a long one... much longer than the list of guys who the Celts have given up on too early (of which there are quite a few as well)

Although their stats aren't that different from last year, Garnett's a much better defensive presence, and gets his points the hard way - AJ still has to prove he can do it consistently in tough environments.

What I'm unclear on is how we stack up in the east now, and if Garnett's enough of an inside presence to bring us to the championship. Any insight would be appreciated.

I think this deal is going to work out well for both teams. I will say I think the odds of us winning a championship within the next ten years are much better than the T'Wolves.

We could've gone the way of the Wolves and shipped Paul, blew it up. I would've been OK with that. We went the other way and tried to build around him, I think that's probably the smartest move.

But either way, Ainge committed to one of the two paths which CAN lead to success. You have to hand it to him for that.

In terms of stacking up with the East. This team was basically a .500 team with Paul Pierce healthy, the only thing we'll really have lost is Al Jefferson. We improved our perimeter shooting with Allen. Garnett is an upgrade over him offensivesly and a huge upgrade over him defensively.

I think we're clearly one of the best in the East right now, but we'll have to see how they mesh in order to really know. The next question becomes, what position do you play KG at? Do you go big and play Rondo-Allen-Pierce-KG-Perk? Or do you go small, Rondo-Allen-Pierce-Gomes-KG?

The Herald has Gomes being part of the package. They also say its a done deal including KG's extention.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/celtics/

Here is an article posted on the Herald that confirms the deal is pretty much done.

We lose Al Jefferson, Green, Gomes, Ratliff, and Telfair.
We get KG.
I'm surprised that no draft picks were involved.
Look at it this way, by the time KG's extension expires, we will have Minny's #1 to play with and hopefully 2 1st round picks to restock the talent that year.

I think we're clearly one of the best in the East right now, but we'll have to see how they mesh in order to really know. The next question becomes, what position do you play KG at? Do you go big and play Rondo-Allen-Pierce-KG-Perk? Or do you go small, Rondo-Allen-Pierce-Gomes-KG?

Rondo-Allen-Pierce-KG-Perkins

That recent question about lineup is VERY interesting. Al Jefferson was a natural power forward.

Where do you put KG? KG is a SMALL FORWARD. He doesn't have an elite post-up game.

This lineup is screwy now.

That recent question about lineup is VERY interesting. Al Jefferson was a natural power forward.

Where do you put KG? KG is a SMALL FORWARD. He doesn't have an elite post-up game.

This lineup is screwy now.

KG is no small forward, he might have the physical/athletic attributes of one, but he's a PF/C in size, rebounding and defensive ability - which is where it matters most.

Big Al wasn't a natural power forward at all, IMO. He was a center, and most of his success came playing center, b/c he was quicker than whoever was guarding him. On top of that, he struggled defensively at both positions.

Last edited:
Have been trying to find an on-line betting source for odds on the Celtics winning this years championship. Someone in another site mentioned he got 90 to one odds. Beats the lottery.

:rocker: Weei is reporting that Jefferson is not apart of the deal now and it will be replaced by two #1 picks. Nothing set in stone yet but if thats the case you have to be a ****** to have any negative vibes from that deal, even with Jefferson included this deal needs to be done, what good is keeping Al around to develope, to then need to replace Allen and Pierce? The time is now not 3 years from now, do the deal and pay the lux tax hit!

:rocker: Weei is reporting that Jefferson is not apart of the deal now and it will be replaced by two #1 picks. Nothing set in stone yet but if thats the case you have to be a ****** to have any negative vibes from that deal, even with Jefferson included this deal needs to be done, what good is keeping Al around to develope, to then need to replace Allen and Pierce? The time is now not 3 years from now, do the deal and pay the lux tax hit!

WEEI is now reporting that it was a mistake and that they are including 2 #1's and Jefferson...i want KG, but that's a lot to give up.

WEEI is now reporting that it was a mistake and that they are including 2 #1's and Jefferson...i want KG, but that's a lot to give up.

Regardless this team as constructed now would be lucky to even get a wiff of the playoffs! They either get the deal done or be a 8th seed team at best and lose in the first round only to get worse every year as pierce and allen decline waiting for all these so called great young players develope!

There's been a lot of misinformation out there - at one point I think Rondo and Gomes were part of the package.

Giving up the 2 #1s doesn't bother me in the least. If we're putting together a team that's a contender, barring injury we're deep in the playoffs and I question the value of anything outside of the top 5 picks compared to proven NBA talent.

That would have been amazing had AJ not been part of the package, but too good to be true

I hate that we have to trade away Al but hell, if we have indeed got Garnett and are contenders...I really can't complain.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Back