PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Garay fined 15k for Brady hit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, not good enough. I wasn't watching what happened BEFORE he hit Brady and iirc, they didn't show the BEFORE on the replay either. We need a link to the WHOLE play.

He shed his blocker, and had a clear run at Bradys leg.

He couldve tackled him cleanly, but opted to dive for his leg instead.

It's not rocket science. What happened, happened. It was very obvious to anyone watching the game.

Neither of these shows what happened BEFORE he lunged at his knees which is imperative when trying to determine intent.

DISCLAIMER: I am not trying to say it wasn't illegal, I am trying to figure out intent. It was clearly against the rules (a rule I like).

Actually, you are wrong. The league ruled that a defensive player on his knees can NOT lunge for the QB in the way Garay did. They said as much 3 years ago when they fined Wilfork twice.. Though one of Wilfork's fines was for hitting the QB in the THIGH area.. Which I still have yet to understand.

He shed his blocker, and had a clear run at Bradys leg.

He couldve tackled him cleanly, but opted to dive for his leg instead.

It's not rocket science. What happened, happened. It was very obvious to anyone watching the game.
Sorry. I don't believe that's the way it happened. Do you have a link?

Actually, you are wrong. The league ruled that a defensive player on his knees can NOT lunge for the QB in the way Garay did. They said as much 3 years ago when they fined Wilfork twice.. Though one of Wilfork's fines was for hitting the QB in the THIGH area.. Which I still have yet to understand.
Actually, if you read what I posted, I NEVER said what Garay did was legal. It was illegal and he should have been penalized and fined. I can't be much clearer than that.

The rule has nothing to do with intent.
It would be impossible to legislate intent - you should intend to tackle him, but not to injure him.
The rule is based on behavior. One of the behaviors the league intends to eliminate is diving at the defenseless QB's knees.

In this case, regardless of intent, it's pretty clear. He dove, he aligned his body to make contact. The ref's ignored it. The league fined the player based on it.

Many argue that these rules are taking the physicality out of the game. Based on the increasing number of injuries, I in general support any rule that is designed to decrease devastating injuries. Unfortunately, rules in place when average linemen were 250 pounds and ran 5.00 40's no longer protect players at the sizes and speeds now in play.

The rule has nothing to do with intent.
It would be impossible to legislate intent - you should intend to tackle him, but not to injure him.
The rule is based on behavior. One of the behaviors the league intends to eliminate is diving at the defenseless QB's knees.

In this case, regardless of intent, it's pretty clear. He dove, he aligned his body to make contact. The ref's ignored it. The league fined the player based on it.

Many argue that these rules are taking the physicality out of the game. Based on the increasing number of injuries, I in general support any rule that is designed to decrease devastating injuries. Unfortunately, rules in place when average linemen were 250 pounds and ran 5.00 40's no longer protect players at the sizes and speeds now in play.
No one is arguing that there must be intent to injure for there to be a penalty. Eveyone agrees, there should have been a penalty called on that play.

It appears the lockout and lack of offseason has hurt the refs' performance more than the guys who actually play the game. How does that happen?

probably a severe lack of referee offseason workouts... mini-camps... and getting to training camp late hurt as well.

perchance, if the guru of nfl officiating mike pereira channeled his inner-drew brees and got these guys in organized referee team activities right after the lockout became manifest, we would not be in this dastardly quagmire.

probably a severe lack of referee offseason workouts... mini-camps... and getting to training camp late hurt as well.

perchance, if the guru of nfl officiating mike pereira channeled his inner-drew brees and got these guys in organized referee team activities right after the lockout became manifest, we would not be in this dastardly quagmire.

With the speed and size these guys play, I don't know if it's possible to really not have problems.

Maybe one or two more might help. Likewise concentrating of fewer rules might help.

my boy garay deserved the fine

you can't go low like that on a qb

i also would hope that if one of your guys does the same kind of play, you'd call him out on it as well......

well...after finally seeing "justice" done, I have to think Blubbagutz the Toe Menace will (wink wink nod nod) have the entire Rat defensive line and LB's practicing the knee dive will the same fervor and dedication he had the "The Great Trip Ping Wall" of players on the sideline last season. There's NOTHING beneath this abomination to the game and 15K almost guarantees the Rats will be flying at Brady's knees with that disgusting disgrace laughing like a jackass on the sidelines.

Last edited:
i also would hope that if one of your guys does the same kind of play, you'd call him out on it as well......

When Wilfork was blocked into Losman's knee a couple of years back, most of us argued that it did not look intentional, but I think pretty much everyone was okay with the fine in of itself. To more directly answer, though, yeah, I'd call out a Patriot who went after a QB's knee with the obvious intent that Garay did to Brady.

Last edited:
When Wilfork was blocked into Losman's knee a couple of years back, most of us argued that it did not look intentional, but I think pretty much everyone was okay with the fine in of itself. To more directly answer, though, yeah, I'd call out a Patriot who went after a QB's knee with the obvious intent that Garay did to Brady.

+1

anyway, why would any player will want to hurt a QB for no reason? i dont get it.

Sorry. I don't believe that's the way it happened. Do you have a link?

Do you or someone remember at what time/ quarter the hit happened?
I am gonna try to get the video sequence.

+1

anyway, why would any player will want to hurt a QB for no reason? i dont get it.

UMMMM....Because SD has not gotten by NE to get to where they want to be ...remember the 2007 AFCCG?

Take the franchise player out and your odds go up considerably....on this team,maybe 98% better chance to beat NE.

Last edited:
No, I don't recall but would appreciate seeing the video. Garay isn't known as a "dirty" player, would like to see if there is evidence to the contrary.

UMMMM....Because SD has not gotten by NE to get to where they want to be ...remember the 2007 AFCCG?
So you believe that there was a conspiracy by the Chargers to injure Brady. Ok, right. Seems to me if that was the case why wait, why not do it on the first series? Grassy knoll anyone?

Go back to the gameday thread here and when you see comments like....OHHHHH SH!!!!!TTT..or FOR THE LOVE OF GOD,PLEASE NO.....

then check the time of the post in the upper left corner and there you got it. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey