PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gameday Superstitions, and the Loss to Denver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat_Nasty

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
In another thread, I confessed that the loss to the Broncos was my fault.

See, I watched the Buffalo game from a bar in NY, and to celebrate my M******* heritage, I started out drinking Sam Adams... after the horrible 1st half, I decided to switch to Brooklyn Lager. We all know how things turned out.

I then drank exclusively Brooklyn Brewery beers during the Jets game. The day of the Denver game, however, I was lazy, and let my girlfriend pickup the beer while she was at the market Sunday afternoon. She came home with a case of Sam -- I was horrified, but couldn't say anything because she thought she was being thoughtful.

I even considered going out and getting a sixer of Brooklyn during halftime, but the bodega closes early on Sunday nights.

So I've considered the loss to Denver my fault... but now poster "5 Rings for Brady!!" tells me that it's his wife's fault because of the way she arranged her Patriots bedsheets before the game.

So I'm wondering... how many Pats fans out there have gameday superstitions, and how many of you broke them on the Sunday night vs. Denver?

Pat_Nasty said:

See, I watched the Buffalo game from a bar in NY, and to celebrate my M******* heritage, I started out drinking Sam Adams... after the horrible 1st half, I decided to switch to Brooklyn Lager. We all know how things turned out.

I then drank exclusively Brooklyn Brewery beers during the Jets game. The day of the Denver game, however, I was lazy, and let my girlfriend pickup the beer while she was at the market Sunday afternoon. She came home with a case of Sam -- I was horrified, but couldn't say anything because she thought she was being thoughtful.

I even considered going out and getting a sixer of Brooklyn during halftime, but the bodega closes early on Sunday nights.

So I've considered the loss to Denver my fault... but now poster "5 Rings for Brady!!" tells me that it's his wife's fault because of the way she arranged her Patriots bedsheets before the game.

So I'm wondering... how many Pats fans out there have gameday superstitions, and how many of you broke them on the Sunday night vs. Denver?

What kind of heritage is so bad that it gets bleeped??

As for any broken superstitions during Denver, nope. I wore my jersey, I drank my beer.

My one superstition that had to end was my Pats Mardi Gras beads. They broke in the offseason though, so they've been gone during all four games, not just Denver.

I did Drink a little less for the Denver game because it was a late game though. So maybe I just wasn't drunk enough for us to win.

i feel responsible for the end of the pats 21 game win-streak, during the win streak, me, my cousins, and my uncles watched every game of the win streak in the same place and did pretty much the same thing every game. The FIRST game we don't watch together (steelers game) they lose. The ONLY other game we didn't watch together later taht season (miami) we lose. Needless to say, during the playoffs, we always watch teh games together.

I went to this game instead of watching it on TV. Luckily I always see only ONE loss in person a year since '02 and I'm going to Miami in December and any playoff game against the Broncos.

Lockdown06 said:
i feel responsible for the end of the pats 21 game win-streak, during the win streak, me, my cousins, and my uncles watched every game of the win streak in the same place and did pretty much the same thing every game. The FIRST game we don't watch together (steelers game) they lose. The ONLY other game we didn't watch together later taht season (miami) we lose. Needless to say, during the playoffs, we always watch teh games together.

REPENT!!!!

Lockdown06 said:

I was at the Halloween Massacre too....and the last game we lost before the streak at Washington. I did go to the Jets game in the Meadowlands in '03 and the '04 home opener so I avoided any jinxes.

I was running late when we played Denaver and when I turned on the game, I was horrified to see that it was first and 10 and that I'd just missed the kick off. I looked at my girlfriend and said, " I blew it for us. We're going to lose". She looked at me like I was nuts.
Everytime I miss the kick off, we lose.
The Denver loss was clearly my fault and I'm filled with guilt and shame about it.
My apologies to Pats Nation.
There, I feel better now. LOL!!!
Respects,

Rich

ummm...for each game i ask...pats1 or Patriots4ever to make Official Game Thread..but for Denver/Pats game..sumone else made it..so its NOT ma fault..llollll:D :(

BelizePats said:
I was running late when we played Denaver and when I turned on the game, I was horrified to see that it was first and 10 and that I'd just missed the kick off. I looked at my girlfriend and said, " I blew it for us. We're going to lose". She looked at me like I was nuts.
Everytime I miss the kick off, we lose.
The Denver loss was clearly my fault and I'm filled with guilt and shame about it.
My apologies to Pats Nation.
There, I feel better now. LOL!!!
Respects,

Rich

I thought I'd done the same thing in Week 1. I was late getting to the bar and missed the opening snap, which of course was returned for a Buffalo TD. I was sure I'd done us in, but the boys came back and won anyway. :)

Both of the last two losses to Denver are my wife's fault!!!

I try and get her to leave the house during games, (i.e. honey why don't you go shopping Sunday afternoon, etc) or at the very least, not talk during the game.....

Well, last year, she was home during the Denver game, she was pretty much quit and upstairs, then she comes downstairs while the Pats were driving for the go ahead score, makes my stop my Tivo when the Pats were on the ten yard line going in, so I can help here do some stupid BS household chore, ten minutes later I come back to the TV, hit the pplay button, and yada, yada, yada...

Fast forward to this year, there she was again, in the house, yapping at me, while I'm trying to watch the game, so much so, that I had to stop the Tivo again to fake listening to her, when she is finally done, I get back to the game, and YUCK!!

All the other three games this year, she has been either out of the house, or beautifully silent.

I'm thinking about restraints for future games..

p.s. I can't remember the Pats losing while I was wearing my SBXXVI shirt!

Brownfan80 said:
What kind of heritage is so bad that it gets bleeped??

Heh.

I used an epithet for people from Massachusetts that ends with "hole".

FreeTedWilliams said:
Both of the last two losses to Denver are my wife's fault!!!

I try and get her to leave the house during games, (i.e. honey why don't you go shopping Sunday afternoon, etc) or at the very least, not talk during the game.....

Well, last year, she was home during the Denver game, she was pretty much quit and upstairs, then she comes downstairs while the Pats were driving for the go ahead score, makes my stop my Tivo when the Pats were on the ten yard line going in, so I can help here do some stupid BS household chore, ten minutes later I come back to the TV, hit the pplay button, and yada, yada, yada...

Fast forward to this year, there she was again, in the house, yapping at me, while I'm trying to watch the game, so much so, that I had to stop the Tivo again to fake listening to her, when she is finally done, I get back to the game, and YUCK!!

All the other three games this year, she has been either out of the house, or beautifully silent.

I'm thinking about restraints for future games..

p.s. I can't remember the Pats losing while I was wearing my SBXXVI shirt!

I've got an idea...

...ever see the Hitchcock film Strangers on a Train?

Last edited:
Pat_Nasty said:

I notice a theme here - the woman seems to be at fault. Its imperative that we emphasize the role played here by our better halves and its importance to the outcome of the game. If they care about us, they will comply.

I decided to change my traditional game shirt for the Denver game and by half time I took off my new shirt and threw it against the wall. I then put on my regular game shirt but it was too late by then.

Pat_Nasty said:
I've got an idea...

...ever see the Hitchcock film Strangers on a Train?

I can't believe it censored Alfred Hitchc o c k's name.

Silver lining I discovered by this thread: the phrase "Denver Loss" no longer refers to that horrible meltdown we suffered last January, rather just a bad offensive performance without any turnovers.

Random factoid: Denver has been responsible for our last 2 losses and 3 of the last 6. As Cartman would say "I hate you guys!!!"

i had to work that night, so instead of wearing my traditional game day uniform, with my jeresey and the same t-shirt and jeans and socks, i had to wear my work uniform. I throughly believe I blew it for the Pats. This is coming from a guy who has a full can of Mountain Dew saved from the Snow Bowl. The can is special because when my friends and I were celebrating the win, we went outside, and there was a frozen case of mountain dew on the porch. I ran out into the street, and my friend threw me a can. It slipped right through my hands, and it would have broken my nose had I not turned my head. Well, long story short, my ear got sliced open, and the can has been 10-1 in the playoffs since. we always have it on top of a tv when the Pats are on.

Wife and I share equal blame, although she was damn nasty about it on top of it.

Her fault:

She headed out early Sunday to do some shopping, and uncharacteristically put her hair in a ponytail and threw on her pink Flying Elvis hat (of course, I told her she looked hot in a Pats cap). She had it on all day. Game time comes, I dissapear into the den to yell at the TV in private. Just after the first quarter she pops her head in to see if I need a beer (being the quality chick that she is) and I noticed... no hat. I told her, "No no no baby, you had your Patriots hat on today, you've got to keep it on during the game, go put it on"

She says, "Who are we playing?"

I told her, "Effin' Denver"

She comes back with, "Ehhh.... I think I'll leave it off, so you have something to blame the loss on." :eek:

I wanted to throw my beer at her.

This weekend... I hid her hat Saturday night just so she couldn't mess with me again.

My fault:

Dawned on me in the 2nd quarter... I had forgotten something. Jumped up, dropped my pants, sure enough... no lucky blue silk boxers. Had my hat, had my shirt, forgot the right underwear. Forgetting my own rule of not changing gear during the game (except to turn the hat around backwards when we need to 'turn it around') I raced like a madman to the bedroom to find the boxers at half time. Nothing. Down to the laundry room... bingo. Changed on the spot, and ran back to the den hoping that breaking my rule of changing during the game would counteract the bad mojo of the wife's hat fiasco. Only made it worse.

Sorry. *hangs head in shame*

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Wife and I share equal blame, although she was damn nasty about it on top of it.

Her fault:

She headed out early Sunday to do some shopping, and uncharacteristically put her hair in a ponytail and threw on her pink Flying Elvis hat (of course, I told her she looked hot in a Pats cap). She had it on all day. Game time comes, I dissapear into the den to yell at the TV in private. Just after the first quarter she pops her head in to see if I need a beer (being the quality chick that she is) and I noticed... no hat. I told her, "No no no baby, you had your Patriots hat on today, you've got to keep it on during the game, go put it on"

She says, "Who are we playing?"

I told her, "Effin' Denver"

She comes back with, "Ehhh.... I think I'll leave it off, so you have something to blame the loss on." :eek:

I wanted to throw my beer at her.

This weekend... I hid her hat Saturday night just so she couldn't mess with me again.

My fault:

Dawned on me in the 2nd quarter... I had forgotten something. Jumped up, dropped my pants, sure enough... no lucky blue silk boxers. Had my hat, had my shirt, forgot the right underwear. Forgetting my own rule of not changing gear during the game (except to turn the hat around backwards when we need to 'turn it around') I raced like a madman to the bedroom to find the boxers at half time. Nothing. Down to the laundry room... bingo. Changed on the spot, and ran back to the den hoping that breaking my rule of changing during the game would counteract the bad mojo of the wife's hat fiasco. Only made it worse.

Sorry. *hangs head in shame*

Well, now that explains it. And here you were, giving me hell the other week for getting some nookie before the game and changing my ritual. Tsk tsk tsk, mister T-Shirt man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back