Game Thoughts: They stunk like fish today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Not much positive today, but here we go:

• I think the Pats constantly changing of the o-line killed this team today. The o-line did fairly well in the first half today, but there were a lot of missed blocking assignments in the second half. I think that had to do with so much confusion.
  • People can't blame this on the loss of Mankins. The Pats were getting killed mostly on the outside of the line, not inside. I felt the LG position was the least of the problems.
  • Ryan Allen better not put a down payment on any house because I think he is on a very short leash. He was great last year, but he has been awful this year going back into the preseason.
  • As bad as the defense was against the run and giving up plays in the open field, the red zone defense was very good. The first Dolphins TD was a gift from the Pats' punting team. The second Dolphins TD was actually broken up by Revis and Wallace was able to catch it off his knee. The only time they broke and I would say the red zone defense let the Pats down was on the third TD.
  • I liked the fact that Hightower and Collins were allowed to rush the passer from the outside. They need to get better at it though. They were both a little too slow getting to Tannehill.
  • I thought the Pats were going to be more aggressive on defense. I was disappointed that they didn't really blitz all that much and they didn't seem aggressive.
  • The tackling was awful today. They were hitting Moreno and Miller at or behind the line of scrimmage and they would just bounce off people. Obviously, hitting Tannehill too high was a big issue today too.
  • Wasn't happy that Brady forced it to Gronk so much, but he he did it last year too in the first game and it might have accelerated Gronk's return to speed even though he wasn't great the first game.
  • Not happy with the play of LaFell, but I think they put him in a role for which he isn't suited. He took the role Dobson would have played. Yes, he can be an outside receiver, but I don't think he is a down the field threat.
  • I don't think the Pats really took advantage of the depleted LB and safety corps. They ran a lot of outside routes when the center of the field should have been far more open.
  • Not a fan of the 3-4. They really don't have the personnel for it. They just don't have bigger body DEs to bookend Wilfork. It showed against the run today. Although I don't think the Pats missed Mankins today all that much, they probably missed Kelly quite a bit.
Overall, this was just one game. A horrible loss. A game they probably should never have lost, but it isn't the end of the season.

Jerry Maguire should give this speech to the patriots:

Not much positive today, but here we go:
  • I don't think the Pats really took advantage of the depleted LB and safety corp. They ran a lot of outside routes when the center of the field should have been far more open.

This is the one thing I don't understand. Maybe somebody here can explain it to me but why didn't we try to find more plays in the middle via Amendola/Edelman ? Is it because the OL was so aweful that there was no time for Brady to find a player there ? I seriously don't understand it.

With Edelman and Amendola we should have players that both excel right there..

I'm not 100% sure that wasn't Brandon Tate instead of LaFell. Hopefully that'll be his worse game of the season.

I don't think the 34 is the problem, I think the version they are trying is the issue, having C Jones in the end position with Ninko outside of him is what killed them. I don't know who thinks that is a good idea, bit it is not, and they kept doing it even after it clearly not working. If they want to play 34 they need to have Jones as an OLB, with Ninko/Hightower on the other OLB spot. They can either play Cris Jones, Easly , Vellano as the 2 DE. Chandler should not play there it doesn't work, he is not JJ Watt, he should not play DT in the 43 either, because that doesn't work either.

This is the one thing I don't understand. Maybe somebody here can explain it to me but why didn't we try to find more plays in the middle via Amendola/Edelman ? Is it because the OL was so aweful that there was no time for Brady to find a player there ? I seriously don't understand it.

I would guess that you hit the nail on the head, luuked. There just wasn't any time whatsoever to try and do much of anything.

I didn't get it either. The short game is the entire offensive strength and was probably Miami's weakness. Those corners weren't going to give up home runs, not like the d-line was about to give Brady time for those sort of passes either.

I agree with the OL its not like the DL you have to find a line up and stay with it. I also don't like the 3-4 they spent the last 3 drafts building a good 4-3 defense and then moved to a 3-4 ? I don't get it the coaching was almost as bad as the play of the O and D lines

I didn't get it either. The short game is the entire offensive strength and was probably Miami's weakness. Those corners weren't going to give up home runs, not like the d-line was about to give Brady time for those sort of passes either.

Really, the way they weren't able to capitalize on Miami losing two starting linebackers from what was already supposed to be a fairly weak linebacking corps is perhaps my biggest disappointment with the offense.

Pretty much spot on, Rob.

Welcome to average.
The run is over.
You can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.
You win the games in the trenches. Always have.
I don't how or why they've lost their direction over the years but they have.
You build a team from the inside out. What you saw today was a team that was a shell of itself.

I would guess that you hit the nail on the head, luuked. There just wasn't any time whatsoever to try and do much of anything.

I was very close to call out McDaniels on that because there are multiple things he could have tried to slow down the Miami DL (why not play more screens ?) but in the end it was an overall coaching meltdown. The inability to adjust to it over the entire second half is very worrisome..

As @primetime pointed out in the other thread, the difference between the first and second half may have been exaggerated due to the heat/humidity issue as well.

Welcome to average.
The run is over.
You can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.
You win the games in the trenches. Always have.
I don't how or why they've lost their direction over the years but they have.

The first half was totally fine, and they were on pace to score 40 pts again. It was certainly a tale of 2 halves.

It's not the way anyone wanted to start the season, but c'mon---the "run is over." Really?

As @primetime pointed out in the other thread, the difference between the first and second half may have been exaggerated due to the heat/humidity issue as well.

I figured that as well. Doesn't help that the Offense barely gave the defense a breather by not being able to stay on the field. Those guys had to be gassed and worn out.

Can someone with a sensible disposition and with the relevant analytical skills try and give me a decent explanation of the O-line's woes today? No one-word answers please.

I want you guys to watch the rest of the games today. And tell me who's o line and d line is worse than the Pat's.
You are totally delusional if you think the Pat's can compete with Seattle or even Miami's.
You win games/championships in the trenches always have always will.

Can someone with a sensible disposition and with the relevant analytical skills try and give me a decent explanation of the O-line's woes today? No one-word answers please.

I think that it had a lot to do with the differences in halves, which may have been due to the heat. Even if you don't buy into that theory, it certainly did not help.

The OL does not look like it has much cohesion at the moment. I still do not personally care for the move of Cannon to the L side. I was not impressed with Cannon on the L side during the last preseason game, especially for a guy who hasn't had many looks at guard in the first place.

We'll have to hope for the best, but the pressure seemed to come more from the outside than it did the inside--at least on first glance anyway. If that's really the case, then I'm probably being way too hard on the move of Cannon. I'm just speaking from a personal standpoint, in that I prefer him on the R side, that's all.

I still think that Nate Solder has a lot of work to do before he reaches that "elite" status level. I am a bit surprised that we weren't able to scheme a bit better to combat their pass rush, which may point to the theory of the heat proving true even more.

Danny Amendola sucks. Teams signed Steve Smith and Anquan Bolden for pennies on the dollar, and we get Amendola. That is bad value.

Nate Solder was overdrafted, and there were much better players on the board, at positions of need (Muhhamed Wilkerson, Cameron Jordan). Or we probably could've packaged #17 and #33 overall (Ras-I Dowling) to move up to #11 and get JJ Watt + a 3rd rounder. I hated that 2011 drafted class then, and I still do now.

Joe Vellano is one of the last guys on defense that I wanna see getting a lot of snaps. Can you seriously tell me Vellano is better than Tommy Kelly?

3-4 needs to go NOW.

Edelman, Amendola, Thompkins, LaFell are all possession receivers. Defenses will continue to blitz the hell out of Brady. Let's really hope Gronkowski stays healthy all year, and Dobson can take the next step.

Last edited:
I want you guys to watch the rest of the games today. And tell me who's o line and d line is worse than the Pat's.
You are totally delusional if you think the Pat's can compete with Seattle or even Miami's.
You win games/championships in the trenches always have always will.
Cocaine is a hell of a drug.
I truly believe that the o line issues will be corrected I think the team will play a lot different the next few weeks then we saw the second half in Miami.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back