PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Thoughts: Thank God We Don't Have to Rehash the Snow Bowl Anymore Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know what happened to Siliga?

It was an ugly win and nothing to be encouraged about, but it was still a win. Bills lost, Dolphins lost, jets should lose, Broncos lost. Siliga getting hurt, hope it's nothing serious, but all in all the team is in a better place today than they were yesterday. And if we saw the changing of the guard with stork being the new starting center and Devey being anywhere but on the field, then I'm happy.

With regards to the run game:

Subtract the two (might have been three) Ridley sprint sweeps, subtract the vereen runs between the tackles (in your defense he may have broke one or two), and then subtract all the forfeited downs when Bolden got the carry.

That is why I was railing on the play calls. It wasn't just the pass calls, but the type of pass calls.

1st and twenty, double play action (gut then end around) into a screen...there had been zero evidence of the line being capable of pass pro to that point. We went three and out on a couple miserable pass calls. Instead of coming out abd trying to let Ridley and the o line punch the raiders in the mouth, we called a sorry ass quick out to try to get Lafell going.

First and goal from the four (think it was three but giving your defense of not running the bennie here), Vereen left for pretty much nothing (played it too close to the middle and got his feet taken out). Play action to Gronk, bad pass and a drop. Another sorry pass call...

All this against a team whose weakness has been the run.

When my wife is asking me why Ridley didn't get a touch on first and goal, McD is failing.

The run game was horribly misused, Ridley on sweeps, vereen between the tackles, and Bolden actually received meaningful carries. That is a fail. I don't care if vereen tripped up the gut on goal to go, that's not his strength. Especially when Ridley should have been more than fresh to take the rep.

If we see another double fake screen I hope Bill fires McD on the sideline...first and twenty with zero oline confidence...Lol

Defense played fantastic today. Not sure why many aren't excited about that. 174 yards passing and 67 yards rushing is more than what you can ask for. Held them to 9 points and no matter how bad they are that is still a good effort.

I'd really like to see more of Stork and Connelly. Not sure much else they can do to win those jobs. It's crystal clear/night and day that the oline operates better with them in there as opposed to the other lineup. Make that happen and maybe consistency will come?

Lafell contributed 40 yards today but I'm getting a little tired of his penalties. Some of them are just real drive/momentum killers. Yes we are bad as a team but his just seem to glare to me.

Anxiously awaiting Dobsons return. Not sure how much of a difference he will make but I'm hoping to see some of that separation we saw last season.

Not sure what to make of Brady's performances right now. There is a lot of rotating factors at play. The oline hasn't protected quite the way he is used to. The offense is sputtering and that is also due to some careless penalties. Give it time. We were 5-5 in 2001 before it all came together. There is definitely time here.

Gronkowski is looking better game to game. Looked to be playing a little closer to game speed this week. Not quite there yet but thought he looked better than last week.

Going into next week I'm confident the Pats are going to impress the doubters at KC Monday night.

Oh and most of the crowd was booing in the 2nd qtr when they went 3 in out.....idiots.....

Not sure if you guys heard it on the TV. I would never boo so don't look at me :)

I said this in the GDT and I'll say it again: for those complaining about barely holding a lead against the Raiders, let me remind you of a game from the dominant 2003 season.

http://web.archive.org/web/20070701025739/http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20031026_CLE@NE

For those who don't want to click, the Pats beat the Browns 9-3. Those Browns were led by KELLY HOLCOMB. Brady and the offense put up no points as Vinatieri had to play hero for the Pats scoring.

The point is that every game in the NFL is tough. This team isn't going to blow teams out like the 07-11 teams were accustomed to do. Defense CAN win games fellas.

I've been to all of the Pats/Browns games home and away since 2000. They almost always give us trouble.

With regards to the run game:

Subtract the two (might have been three) Ridley sprint sweeps, subtract the vereen runs between the tackles (in your defense he may have broke one or two), and then subtract all the forfeited downs when Bolden got the carry.

That is why I was railing on the play calls. It wasn't just the pass calls, but the type of pass calls.

1st and twenty, double play action (gut then end around) into a screen...there had been zero evidence of the line being capable of pass pro to that point. We went three and out on a couple miserable pass calls. Instead of coming out abd trying to let Ridley and the o line punch the raiders in the mouth, we called a sorry ass quick out to try to get Lafell going.

First and goal from the four (think it was three but giving your defense of not running the bennie here), Vereen left for pretty much nothing (played it too close to the middle and got his feet taken out). Play action to Gronk, bad pass and a drop. Another sorry pass call...

All this against a team whose weakness has been the run.

When my wife is asking me why Ridley didn't get a touch on first and goal, McD is failing.

The run game was horribly misused, Ridley on sweeps, vereen between the tackles, and Bolden actually received meaningful carries. That is a fail. I don't care if vereen tripped up the gut on goal to go, that's not his strength. Especially when Ridley should have been more than fresh to take the rep.

If we see another double fake screen I hope Bill fires McD on the sideline...first and twenty with zero oline confidence...Lol
McDaniels has been pulling the same crap since he first took over as the Offensive whisperer. What leads you to any conclusion that he's going to change his formula now?

McDaniels has been pulling the same crap since he first took over as the Offensive whisperer. What leads you to any conclusion that he's going to change his formula now?
Josh McDaniels is the biggest issue with this team in my opinion, we have strung together **** lines in the past and made it work (due to injuries), we have had crap receivers and made it work, the offense sucks because of the offensive coordinator. Since he got here in 2012 the offense literally declined every game of that season and every season since. He lost his way in Denver and apparently he is not going to find it again.

Patrick Chung's overall play and actual ability to cover has been a very pleasant surprise thus far.

Except on the TD against Minny last week. He covered a guy well, but it was the wrong guy. The right guy went for the TD.

I have to admit though, that he doesn't stink, as I had declared in a thread about last week's game.

I don't know what they are running so many pick plays with LaFell. I think he is too big for it. If he is going to have contact with the defender, he has to be perfect because he will knock his guy out of his shoes 9 times out of 10 and draw the penalty.

It is not that he's running a lot of picks, but that he's never done that kind of thing before so he has no idea how to sell it. His sense of timing as far as chipping the trailing DB on the route he crosses is way off. No other way for him to address it than just keep at it.

Josh McDaniels is the biggest issue with this team in my opinion, we have strung together **** lines in the past and made it work (due to injuries), we have had crap receivers and made it work, the offense sucks because of the offensive coordinator. Since he got here in 2012 the offense literally declined every game of that season and every season since. He lost his way in Denver and apparently he is not going to find it again.
Whatever magical well McDaniels once drunk from now appears to be dry. Pushing aside the performance of the OL, the Patriots O is terribly predictable. There is no creativity in design and to my eye, a lack of in game adjustments.

To me, the D has been OK and the Patriots owe that unit a debt of gratitude for at least keeping Minnesota and Oakland to nothing scores. A better opponent, I'm not so sure.

Whatever magical well McDaniels once drunk from now appears to be dry. Pushing aside the performance of the OL, the Patriots O is terribly predictable. There is no creativity in design and to my eye, a lack of in game adjustments.
Agreed

In unrelated news Kelcy Quarles made his NFL debut today, he had a sack and a tackle for a loss. To bad it was for the Colts.

Here we go:

• Let me get this out of the way. I am tired of the Dobson bashing calling him a healthy scratch. I don't think he was. I think he is just not in game shape. I noticed that in the last preseason game that he had trouble running routes and rounded this routes. I have a feeling either he cannot or is too hesitant to plant his foot and make cuts. I think he was deactivated this and the first week because of it. They tried to give him a go and it looked like he wasn't ready. I could be wrong, but I think people are trashing him without knowing.
  • The offense has a lot of work to do, but it is showing signs of starting to put things together. I am under no illusions that they looked good other than in spurts, but at least they made some progressions late in the game. Overall though, the offense was not very good though.
  • I don't think Derrick Carr is his brother. I think he will turn out to be a decent to good QB. He made some good decisions and made some good throws on the run.
  • I think this defense can carry the Pats while the offense tries to get on track. I know they faced two bad offenses in the last two weeks, but other than opening drive last week and the second half vs. the Dolphins, they have been pretty solid. Not perfect, but they have been solid.
  • I think Chandler Jones has really matured. In past years, he would sometimes over rely on the bullrush and go head to head with his blockers. He is definitely expanding his repertoire on rushing skills and being much more aware of what is going on during the play. On those plays where he tipped the ball, he would have just continued to rush the passer in the past. Now he is diagnosing the play and if blocker is not letting him by he is trying to take away passing lanes. He is also more aware of the run too.
  • Revis has not been what I thought he would be, but reading the game threads he gets too much crap (probably due to his reputation and him actually looking mortal at times). He shuts down his receiver most of the game, but has had lapses in his coverage that have been exploited at times.
  • I don't know what they are running so many pick plays with LaFell. I think he is too big for it. If he is going to have contact with the defender, he has to be perfect because he will knock his guy out of his shoes 9 times out of 10 and draw the penalty.
  • I am glad to see that Brady started to get the receivers more involved. I think they need to get more stability on the o-line and then we may see that Brady has a wealthy of weapons. I think the o-line problems has more to do with the receiver problems than the receivers.
  • Speaking of the o-line, I think the Jordan Devey experiment needs to end soon. The o-line got much better after he was out.
  • I have been disappointed with Solder this year. I think he has been an above average LT for most of his career, but he has been a disappointment this year. Hopefully if the rest of the o-line gets cohesive, his play improves.
  • I was getting tired of the McDaniels bashing in the gameday thread (what is new). If I heard, "the Raiders have been averaging giving up 200 yards on the ground the first two weeks" to bash McD for not running the ball on a particular play one more time, I might have thrown my computer against the wall. Do people realize the Pats ran the ball 32 TIMES for 76 yards? I don't care what the Raiders did the first two weeks, but they were stopping the Pats' running game.
  • It was an ugly win, but it was a win. They need to get better, but we did see a little progress on the offense. We need to see a lot more very quick. I don't know if the Pats will need a heck of a lot of offense to beat the Chiefs, but they certainly will to beat the Bengals the following week.

Thanks again Rob for the fine analysis.

One of the things I noticed about this defense is that they don't give up much after catches are made.

Is it my homerism that made me think the announcers were rooting against us? It was so bad that it started to sound like they were whining about calls.

When BB speaks to the sideline reporter, as he does at halftime each week, he gives them nothing but cliches about establishing this or that. And they eat it up.

It was wonderful seeing the Tuckheads have one last good cry over a legitimate call from 12 years ago. I can still hear Walt Coleman, the greatest referee to ever wear the stripes, as he says, the quarterbacks arm was going forward...

Youth = Penalties

One of my pet peeves late in games is when teams with the lead run the ball out of bounds. Each time they do that it adds at least another minute to the game. It wasn't in the Pats game that it happened.

What will the Raiders and their followers cry about now, well, besides the Tuck rule?

Agreed

In unrelated news Kelcy Quarles made his NFL debut today, he had a sack and a tackle for a loss. To bad it was for the Colts.
Didn't BB sign and release Quarles like 46 times when he was here ?

Agreed

Meh, who needs Kelly or Quarles when we have Vellano?

Didn't BB sign and release Quarles like 46 times when he was here ?
Signed him, released him, signed him to the practice squad, and the colts signed him off it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes