Game Thoughts - Jets edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I will get the positives out of the way first since there aren't many:

1.) Hernandez is a player. He is a legitimate weapon for Brady. Too bad Brady didn't go to him more.
2.) The Pats had a pretty good pass rush today. Unfortunately, they showed that if they don't get the QB off his mark the other team could make some big plays.
3.) I like how McCourty plays. He gave up a play or two but he did have blanket coverage most of the time I saw him.
4.) Which brings us to a negative: with Butler, it really didn't matter because teams will pick on him.
5.) Not happy with the play calling on either side of the ball in the second half. They left Butler on an island on defense where it was clear he couldn't handle it. The offense seemed designed to exploit the fact that Revis was out, but with Revis out that means Welker and the rest of the receiver had lower quality DBs covering them, not just Moss. I guess O'Brien forgot that.
6.) I think dumping Maroney was a bit premature. As we saw today, this RB corp is not very durable and BJGE is not fast or consistent enough to consistently carry the load.
7.) Overall the o-line performed very well yet again although both tackles had a key breakdown in blocking. Light cost the Pats more in the strip sack.
8.) Belichick looked uncharacteristcally lost on the sidelines. Even in losses, he usually looks in control.
9.) Get well soon Wheatley. The Pats may need you to start.
10.) Today showed us that we shouldn't get too excited one way or another after one week. That means we shouldn't get too upset after week two. A lot of football to play and the defense will get better... It can't get much worse.

Last edited:
Can we change Butler's number for EVERY GAME? Just asking...

how many snaps did Welker play in the 2nd half?

After Butler started getting smoked his help started coming in late. It was obvious what the Jets were doing but the coaching staff didn't really help him out any. Probably because they were scared of opening up the middle too much after Keller smoked Spikes.

The second half slump continues from last year. The Patriots better correct it quick or else this would be a long year.

What bothered me about todays game was : They got DOMINATED in the worst possible way by the Jets in the second half.

As much as I love Moss, I cannot wait for him to leave this team. Ever since he has arrived, Brady has been forcing throws to him despite tight coverages. I have not been counting, but I can honestly say that Moss has cost Brady a large number of interceptions over the last four years. What did we get out of Moss today? Two receptions or so, one TD and two interceptions. Start playing him like a regular wide receiver and get a few more receptions out of him.

Defense. They made Sanchize look super today. Barely saw any safety help for Butler today.

Okay. Pats. Lets go. Now that you have entered the loss column, time to shake it off and start dominating teams.

the problem is that Butler got timid later espcally after the Flop Job in the first PI watch the play again

THe reciver turns around Butler has a hand on him which is legal as long as he doesn't interfer the reciever grabs his arm pulls it and falls backward as butler swats the Ball it was clearly going to be undertrown and the reciever jsut acted to get the call

Braylon Edwards has alot of nerve talking sh!t after he has sucked since 2007. That guy can GFH.

The secondary is what it is. Bodden injury stings BAD...but christ almighty, the obession with the deep ball is pissing me off. Why go away from what is effective? Buh-bye Moss - the offense has changed because of him. He's awesome - for sure - but he has been a detrinent to the team. It's true. 2007 be damned.

the problem is that Butler got timid later espcally after the Flop Job in the first PI watch the play again

THe reciver turns around Butler has a hand on him which is legal as long as he doesn't interfer the reciever grabs his arm pulls it and falls backward as butler swats the Ball it was clearly going to be undertrown and the reciever jsut acted to get the call

Exactly. That was a borderline call at best, but it went to the home team.

The secondary is what it is. Bodden injury stings BAD...but christ almighty, the obession with the deep ball is pissing me off. Why go away from what is effective? Buh-bye Moss - the offense has changed because of him. He's awesome - for sure - but he has been a detrinent to the team. It's true. 2007 be damned.

The deep ball works. Look at Moss' TD and then the incompletion in the 1st quarter, it is definitely there. Brady throws one of the best deep balls in the league. The issue was in the 2nd half the Pats didnt run the ball enough to set up the deep ball, you need to run the ball to keep the safeties honest. Moss is not a detriment to the team by any stretch of the imagination, the guy can still play. Listen to his PC after the game, all the guy wants to do is win.

As much as I love Moss, I cannot wait for him to leave this team. Ever since he has arrived, Brady has been forcing throws to him despite tight coverages. I have not been counting, but I can honestly say that Moss has cost Brady a large number of interceptions over the last four years.

Brady's Interception rate has not been worse with Moss than without. His 1st and 3rd best interception rates are the 2 years he had Moss (07 and 09). The years comparable to his '09 rate were 02, 03 and 06. In 01, 04 and 05 he threw Interceptions a lot more frequently than '09.

What is with people and their unending search for a single scapegoat for any problem.

News Flash, Brady has had bad games every season of his career. He's thrown stupid passes to every receiver he's had. He's the best but he is NOT PERFECT.

Brady's Interception rate has not been worse with Moss than without. His 1st and 3rd best interception rates are the 2 years he had Moss (07 and 09). The years comparable to his '09 rate were 02, 03 and 06. In 01, 04 and 05 he threw Interceptions a lot more frequently than '09.

What is with people and their unending search for a single scapegoat for any problem.
News Flash, Brady has had bad games every season of his career. He's thrown stupid passes to every receiver he's had. He's the best but he is NOT PERFECT.

I dont understand that either, maybe they want to simplify the problem in their head :confused::
The media does it too, I was listening to the radio after the game and they were trying to pick out who lost the game for the Pats, Tanguay said it was Brady, I think Gresh picked Moss, not sure about Gresh, hes a moron,
And whats with some people getting annoyed with Brady saying the team sucked instead of I sucked. Its a team game, I saw lots of breakdowns all over on both side of the ball, it was a team loss as most are.

Bottom line is we want the team to be playing better ball in week 17 than they are now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back