PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Plan Thoughts for Houston?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the posters calling for more rushing early on with Brady under center will be disappointed when game-time comes around. Houston's defense has been notedly not as good against the shot-gun formation, and this will only be exacerbated by their rash of injuries at CB.

My guess is that it's largely about JJ Watt. Shotgun makes it easier for QBs to avoid pressure up the middle, and helps them identify clear throwing lanes, which is key when you're up against a pass-deflector like Watt. Meanwhile, Watt's more penetrating style of play for a 3-4 DE makes him more of a target for the Pats' "wham" plays, and could give Vereen and Woodhead a good gap to go after on a draw.

Even with the Pats being thin at WR, I think we'll see a fair bit of shotgun with Hernandez split wide, often outside Welker, and Vereen and Woodhead motioning out of the backfield. With Vereen healthy and the Pats showing more and more confidence in him, I think this game could be a big coming-out party for him.

I think the posters calling for more rushing early on with Brady under center will be disappointed when game-time comes around. Houston's defense has been notedly not as good against the shot-gun formation, and this will only be exacerbated by their rash of injuries at CB.

My guess is that it's largely about JJ Watt. Shotgun makes it easier for QBs to avoid pressure up the middle, and helps them identify clear throwing lanes, which is key when you're up against a pass-deflector like Watt. Meanwhile, Watt's more penetrating style of play for a 3-4 DE makes him more of a target for the Pats' "wham" plays, and could give Vereen and Woodhead a good gap to go after on a draw.

Even with the Pats being thin at WR, I think we'll see a fair bit of shotgun with Hernandez split wide, often outside Welker, and Vereen and Woodhead motioning out of the backfield. With Vereen healthy and the Pats showing more and more confidence in him, I think this game could be a big coming-out party for him.
I'd be happy for the Patriots to call runs and screens on the Texans all day then hit them over the top once they've committed to the run.

The Texans D is not the same D it was earlier in the season given injuries to their main impact players.

Last edited:
Interestingly the Texans drafted Harris with a pick obtained from the Pats (#60).

The Pats received 3rd and 5th round picks that they used to draft Stevan Ridley and Marcus Cannon.

At the moment, it seems to work out pretty well for you guys, eh!

We like Harris, and he played well last game when he first saw extensive duty.
He did a good job against Kendall Wright.

He can play both outside and in the slot.
What I like about him is that he managed not to get owned by AJ Green in college.

Obviously, we don't expect him to go against #1 receivers, not even the #2s on a regular basis, only if we're pressed to do so.

Wade is grooming him more for the nickel position.

Depending on the condition of our other CB, we may see Harris, Ball, or Quin on Welker. They all can use some help from the coverage scheme and the password rush.

Only I fear that our interior pass rush could be neutralized by mother nature the same way it went against the Bears earlier this season.

The Bears O-line was having a bad year up to that game.

I also remember Antonio Smith not having a good game when he was with the Cards, playing the Pats in the snow. It was an ugly game for the Cards.

I hope that Wade Phillips can trump up something.

I'd be happy for the Patriots to call runs and screens on the Texans all day then hit them over the top once they've committed to the run.

The Texans D is not the same D it was earlier in the season given injuries to their main impact players.
It wasn't so much about the shotgun, but the ability of the QB to get the ball out quickly that works well against an aggressive defense like ours, something the Lions were able to do.

Brady is also a master of that.

The screen game also works for the same reason.

Our DBs will have to play tight and the safeties need to be sharp in their support; otherwise it could get ugly.

The good thing is that our ILBs are rounding into shape.
We don't have Cushing, but both Dobbins and Sharpton are now healthy; we also get a really good deal with Rudd; he's also healthy now.
They all are very active in shooting the gap, or to jump on the backs out of the backfield, or the second TE.

I hope the game lives up to its billings; it will be a great chess match to watch.

LOL, I don't know why but every quote I try to refer to brings up yours for the last 20 minutes now. Guess I will try later to respond to other posts.

Have a great evening, folks!

Only I fear that our interior pass rush could be neutralized by mother nature the same way it went against the Bears earlier this season.

The Bears O-line was having a bad year up to that game.

I also remember Antonio Smith not having a good game when he was with the Cards, playing the Pats in the snow. It was an ugly game for the Cards.

Solder field is grass and Gillette is field turf so the effects won't be nearly as bad for rain. Snow on the other hand is tough on any field if you're not used to it. It won't snow and the rain won't be a huge factor for footing.

Hi Pat's fans. Another Texan fan here, ready for the big game. Here are my thoughts from our MB:
IMO, this game is going to be Kubiak's to win or lose. I don't see us stopping NE's O consistently, so Kubiak has to dial up some offense that makes their weaker D pay. I think it'll be a high scoring shootout and the last team with the ball will win. I hope to see a lot more of Tate and Forsett on Monday night. Foster just can't seem to bust those big runs we're so used to seeing out of him.
LINK so y'all can join in the discussion.

I'm hoping this is a really good game and doesn't end up like our game against the Pack. Injuries are playing a part for both teams, so I think whichever coaching staff can make the right calls personnel and play wise will win. Kubiak and Wade have had success against BB. BB has had success against everyone. It should be fun to watch.

Solder field is grass and Gillette is field turf so the effects won't be nearly as bad for rain. Snow on the other hand is tough on any field if you're not used to it. It won't snow and the rain won't be a huge factor for footing.

Thanks, I was reminded of that by a fellow Texans fan.

I hope this turns out to be a classic, one of many to come.

Wade is on even par with BB (3-3) and Kubiak is 5-2 as an OC and 1-1 as a HC (we can forget about the 1-1; it's not really relevant).
They certainly know one another, you just don't know who's going to win the next chess match.

I can't wait for game day going against the Big Boy of December of late.

Any Texans fans,

How is the right side of the Texans offensive line holding up this year without Mike Brisiel and Eric Winston?

Any Texans fans,

How is the right side of the Texans offensive line holding up this year without Mike Brisiel and Eric Winston?
The right side is OK. Not great by any stretch, but ok. Winston was a huge liabilty in pass pro but a real road grader on run plays. I don't miss him. He was always good for a false start or holding call a game, usually at the worst possible time.
We miss Briesel quite a bit IMO. He was a very solid RG.

The right side is OK. Not great by any stretch, but ok. Winston was a huge liabilty in pass pro but a real road grader on run plays. I don't miss him. He was always good for a false start or holding call a game, usually at the worst possible time.

We miss Briesel quite a bit IMO. He was a very solid RG.
Let's review the right tackle situation:

Eric Winston - cut
Rashad Butler - injured reserve

Who the heck is currently playing right tackle for the Houston Texans?

Wow JJ Watt almost tore up Cannon knees on one of those plays. Cannon did a fine job though. Now if Watt was so heralded how could we have a taken that mash unit Glass-I Dowling where we did.:mad:

Because Watt had been off the board at pick #11, a full 22 picks before the Pats took Dowling?

:confused2:

The Texans have their share of problems on the O_line.

LG Wade Smith has not been 100% since day one. He still goes through a certain kind of medical procedures every now and then.

Our RG Antoine Caldwell was injured after a few games.
They had the rookie Ben Jones (who played Center at Georgia) to spell him every third series.
As Caldwell's injury worsen, Ben Jones took over the starting role, with Caldwell in spot duty.
Then Caldwell could no longer, forcing Jones to become a full-time player.
The Texans just put in another rookie, big body Brandon Brooks (from Miami lf Ohio) in the last game for 15 snaps.

We like his potential; he played at some 348 lbs in college.
The coaches want him to trim down; he's currently listed at 337.
I like to see how he handle Vincent Wilfork.

At RT we signed Ryan Harris, a veteran that Kubiak knows well in Denver.
He had seen a few surgeries, and was among the last roster cut by the Bronco's this year.
We had him play every third down at the start of the season to give second-year man Newton time to adapt.

He was a seventh round draft pick from Arkansas State last year. Only ten guys were drafted after him.

Newton also got injured so now Harris has to play full-time.
Newton is day-to_day, we don't know his status for the game.

We pulled a guy from PS and make him the swing tackle.
Andrew Gardner was a 6th rd draft pick who had bounced around 3 other PS.

We had a scare when LT Duane Brown went down in the last game.
Gardner spelled him for 3 plays (we scored a TD but it was against the Titans, you know).

I hope y'all don't mind the long post, but that's the situation of our O-line at the moment.

Personally, I think our stretch run can be quite effective against the Pats; any comment on that? :)

The Pats are actually last in the league in percentage of plays blitzing and that's not a new trend however since Talib they have been blitzing more often.

New England Patriots-Houston Texans matchup has plenty to offer - ESPN Boston

9. Aqib Talib factor for Patriots -- Talib versus Andre Johnson: Maybe it's coincidence, maybe it's more a result of the opponents they faced, or maybe Aqib Talib is simply that much of a difference-maker. Consider this: Before acquiring Talib at the trade deadline Nov. 1, the Patriots rushed five or more defenders a league-low 15 percent of the time, according to ESPN Stats & Information tracking. With Talib, the number of rushes with five or more defenders has spiked to 28.3 percent. A potential Talib matchup against Texans receiver Andre Johnson naturally yields excitement.

Good well balanced article.

I second the applause on the Texans fans coming in here and talking real football. A lot of weeks you get an influx of trash talk that ruins so many threads needlessly.

I cannot wait for this game. ESPN has to be stoked considering some of the loser games they seem to get stuck with week after week like the week after with Jets @ Titans.
I did have a chance to read that article. I probably should have said that the Pats have been able to generate good pressure mainly with the front four, with much less blitzing than the Texans until lately.

I did have a chance to read that article. I probably should have said that the Pats have been able to generate good pressure mainly with the front four, with much less blitzing than the Texans until lately.

A lot of that has been Chandler Jones who's been out but was at practice yesterday. There's been times where the pressure has been nonexistent. As much as everybody kills the secondary a lot of that has been lack of pressure. I forget the exact numbers but Seattle as an example had something like 8 pass completions for over 20 yards. On every single one Wilson held the ball for as long as 4 seconds and for as long as 6 seconds. Even Mark Sanchez can complete a pass now and then with that kind of time. Hopefully with the improvements in the secondary and Jones coming back the two will blend into a nice balanced pass rush.

BTW Andre Johnson is one of my favorite non Patriots. I always admired his game but how can you not love a guy that beats the tar out of Cortland Finnegan? :D

cortland-finnegan-andre-johnson-fight-300x203.jpg

BTW Andre Johnson is one of my favorite non Patriots. I always admired his game but how can you not love a guy that beats the tar out of Cortland Finnegan? :D

cortland-finnegan-andre-johnson-fight-300x203.jpg
His name has been officially changed to Innegan. AJbeat the F out of him. :rocker::rofl:

Houston reportedly signed Stanford Routt due to injuries at CB

Stanford Routt reportedly signs with Houston Texans - NFL.com

I like this signing, and not just because Routt is from UH.

I think his long speed and his ability to play press and man coverage makes him a good fit with the team. I'm not sure about the contract term, but I think it's only for this season.

We're pretty bang up in the secondary with the Nicole back Bruce McCain out.
JJo has been out nursing a hamstring that has been affecting his play this year. Our back-up Alan Ball is also out, he's day to day.
If all these guys are out, we'll have to put Routt on there at least for a small portion of the game even though he's not familiar with the scheme, and ours is different from the normal man coverage.

Wade also mix in some zone throughout the game, most often in prevent defense; but I don't think it's a good idea to play zone against Brady.
I hate to see Welker catch and run.

A lot of that has been Chandler Jones who's been out but was at practice yesterday. There's been times where the pressure has been nonexistent. As much as everybody kills the secondary a lot of that has been lack of pressure. I forget the exact numbers but Seattle as an example had something like 8 pass completions for over 20 yards. On every single one Wilson held the ball for as long as 4 seconds and for as long as 6 seconds. Even Mark Sanchez can complete a pass now and then with that kind of time. Hopefully with the improvements in the secondary and Jones coming back the two will blend into a nice balanced pass rush.

True, but youhave more men in coverage that would lead to more INT's.

Some of our fans don't want Wade to bring the blitz too much; it left our CBs on an island more. Against a good QB like Brady, it could be very dangerous.

And even with all those blitzes many of our fans think that we don't have pressure up front except for Watt.

His name has been officially changed to Innegan. AJbeat the F out of him. :rocker::rofl:

Love your avatar docbar, does it come in "Rat"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down