PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Plan Thoughts for Houston?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sup Pats fans! Much respect for your team. Really looking forward to this matchup for obvious reasons. I have a little hope we can steal this one but not alot as our teams seem to be hitting different strides right now and I understand winning there in Dec is asking alot from anyone.

I think our def line is going to give us our best shot at winning. If you can neutrilize Watt and A Smith (easier said than done), then we will have a hard time keeping this one close. Getting S Cody back at NT last week I think really helped. But this is Brady we are playing against, and disrupting his rythym is no easy task. But expect a batted ball or two that could end up as drive spoilers or even a turnover. It really is amazing how many passes we knock down or tip drill every week. I expect to see quite a bit of screens this week from you guys.

So how is your defense playing? Stopping run first priority focused? Who will cover Andre? How do yall fair vs pass happy TE's?

Btw, I really doubt J Jo is not back for this one. My hunch is he could of played last week but we wanted to be sure and rest him a bit more for the stretch run.

Heres to an epic battle on Monday night with no big injuries!

Go Texans!!

Honestly i think the Texans couldn't have played us at a better time for them as a matchup. Your strength has been your pass rush and DL, we have both starting Guards and RT Injured, Gronk who would also help in Pass and run blocking Injured. This has had a big impact on our ability to protect TB. Then we have Edelman and Gronk out of the passing game.

I honestly think this game comes down to 2 areas. In order of importance:

Texans DL vs Pats Pass Protection.

Pats Run D vs Texans Run.

I was really looking forward to the San Fran and Texas games but it is annoying that the health of this team isn't where we need it to be. I still think they would be cracker games but just would have liked both teams healthy for it.

Thank you Doc; should I rant some more that you guys picked up Nate Solder?

I think most people rated him below Carimi and Castonzo, but I thought he was the better of the bunch.

And there it goes again, another good OT going to the Pats.

How has he worked out for you guys so far?

I did follow him some; I think he's doing well.
But of course, I don't get to watch him every game.

Very good feet has been good with speed rushers so far this year. The preseason was ugly but he has settled in nicely during the reg season as the LT.

What I find a little surprising is how well your O-line has been performing as a whole, given all the changes.

Not too many sacks and QB hits allowed.

With a guy like Brady, it's double-trouble for the opposing defense.

The OL was where the biggest changes occurred, LT Light retired, RG Waters retired, LG Mankins coming off knee surgery, Connolly moved from C to RG. The OL was ugly in the Preseason but has rounded inshape in spite of a lot of injuries this year (Vollmer back issues, Mankins calf & Ankle, Connoly back and so on).

However we have a great OL coach who has been here for many (30+ IIRC) Dante Scarnecchia. IMO the best OL coach in the game.

But we're not doing too shabby ourselves; I think we'll give you a good battle, unlike the shellacking against the Cards a few years ago in the snow.

I think our D has been making strides especially since the Talib trade combined with McCourty moving to S. This game will be a great test. BB will generally try to take away what a team does best, the Texans can both run and pass well so I will be interested to see how he tries to stop the Texans.

We have a lot of injuries on the O so I hope we can move the ball this week.

Our hope is to run the table (which we have done a lot after Thanksgiving) and see the Texans split with the Colts. ;)

Welcome to the board!

Last edited:
The Pats need to score more points than they allow or else they will lose.

BB's defenses have traditionally had issues with the shanahan type offenses with the boot leg and zone blocking running games. That is going to be a huge challenge.

The key on defense has to be to slow down Foster. He's the main cog in the offensive machine. Get him going and he's one of the better runners in the game. But he's most dangerous in opening up play action. That's what they live on. Stop him first and foremost and double Andre Johnson. Disguising is going to be another huge factor. We can't just trot out a vanilla defense where we're making it obvious pre-snap what we're doing. This is not a Ryan Tannehill offense. If Schaub gets an idea of what we're doing, he'll pick the defense apart. Disguise, disguise, and disguise some more. It'll force confusion and turnovers.

Offensively, we have to stay balanced. The OL is banged up so if Brady drops back 40 times, he's going to absorb a lot of hits. Give them a nice dose of the run game and, in doing so, give Houston a dose of its own medicine: play action. If Ridley gets going, it's going to force the safeties to cheat up. When they do, they'll have even more trouble defending the seam than they already do. This is where Welker, Hernandez, and Lloyd could have huge days. In all, the offensive execution will, once again, hinge on protecting #12. Do that, and the offense will do enough to win the game.

This is exactly why Cushing was such a huge loss for us. He is so quick to react and covers sideline to sideline as good as anyone in the league. Now we have to commit more assets to the run than we normally would have, and we lose some blitzing ability. The thing is our OLBs have not produced like we have wanted. But our DE's are monsters and the olbs have done a decent job of cleaning up here and there.

The key to our offense is we tend to keep the defenses on thier toes and unable to commit to anything. We disguise many plays from the exact same formation that all look exactly the same coming out of the snap... Bringing on confusion and guesswork by the defense. As you know everything is predicated off the run game. Make no mistake, our running game is not as strong this year, as the ypc is down. But we will force the ball again and again no matter till we pop a few in a row as a reminder. The long runs for TDs have not been there this year for us (that should have counted), but when we get near the goaline Foster will score.

Last edited:
1. Get Lloyd involved in the first series so he gets his confidence going. He has to be an integral piece if we want to compete with the SFs/NYGs/Balts

2. Never attempt a FG beyond the 20 yd line.

3. No more gadget reverses to AHern that Josh likes to get cute with when we are running the ball so well

4. Trust Dennard and Talib on islands...with Mccourty protecting the top. I think they have done a heckuva job so far. No Arrington please..all he does is hook and turn WRs. Andre Johnson isn't the same player he used to be, so many people are saying double him, I'm not so sure about that... don't be generous with underneath stuff. Send pressure and lots of it

5. Is it me or every time I watch the Texans when they are at the 50, they love that play action throw to the endzone where Schaub does like a 20 step dropback lol. Seems to be a huge part of their game

6. Make NOISE! It actually helps!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Brady is undefeated in the snow

Once upon a time the idea of snow might have bothered me as a Texans' fan, but after seeing the team grind out in a win in the awful conditions of Soldier Field I think they can play anywhere, anytime.

This game will be very interesting. Our secondary is pretty banged up but your receiving corps is too.

If Brady gets time, it could get ugly quick.

Hopefully Watt and Smith continue there good form and Mercilus picks up where he left off last week and get in Brady's face all game.

Once upon a time the idea of snow might have bothered me as a Texans' fan, but after seeing the team grind out in a win in the awful conditions of Soldier Field I think they can play anywhere, anytime.

This game will be very interesting. Our secondary is pretty banged up but your receiving corps is too.

If Brady gets time, it could get ugly quick.

Hopefully Watt and Smith continue there good form and Mercilus picks up where he left off last week and get in Brady's face all game.

Wasn't that with Cutler out though? Cutler sucks but he's much better than Campbell. The Pats don't gift turnovers and the Texans only had 1 TD

LOL, agree.

You kick the dog, he could get mad, and there's no telling what's gonna happen.

Overall, I don't think you guys bring too many blitzes, at least the last few years.
I did watch plenty of your defense, out of curiosity how McCourty would work out after he was drafted.

A pretty good job by the guys up front, I must say.

Giving up some yards in the passing game, but creating plenty of opportunities for the guys in the back-end to make plays.

BTW, I like Dennard as a low round pick, too.

The Pats are actually last in the league in percentage of plays blitzing and that's not a new trend however since Talib they have been blitzing more often.

New England Patriots-Houston Texans matchup has plenty to offer - ESPN Boston

9. Aqib Talib factor for Patriots -- Talib versus Andre Johnson: Maybe it's coincidence, maybe it's more a result of the opponents they faced, or maybe Aqib Talib is simply that much of a difference-maker. Consider this: Before acquiring Talib at the trade deadline Nov. 1, the Patriots rushed five or more defenders a league-low 15 percent of the time, according to ESPN Stats & Information tracking. With Talib, the number of rushes with five or more defenders has spiked to 28.3 percent. A potential Talib matchup against Texans receiver Andre Johnson naturally yields excitement.

Good well balanced article.

I second the applause on the Texans fans coming in here and talking real football. A lot of weeks you get an influx of trash talk that ruins so many threads needlessly.

I cannot wait for this game. ESPN has to be stoked considering some of the loser games they seem to get stuck with week after week like the week after with Jets @ Titans.

Andre Johnson will be doubled, just like we did Fitzgerald, he's way too good.

Schaub is ehhhh, not a bad QB but nothing to fear. We've already beaten Peyton, the ONLY QB I really "fear" in this league.

It should be a good game. We need to bottle Foster up, guy is a beast.

I wanted to give a tip of the ol'tricorne hat to our Texan visitors.

I might live in Maine but Ive got a lot of family in Texas.

Glad to have you talking football with us.

Andre Johnson will be doubled, just like we did Fitzgerald, he's way too good.

Schaub is ehhhh, not a bad QB but nothing to fear. We've already beaten Peyton, the ONLY QB I really "fear" in this league.

It should be a good game. We need to bottle Foster up, guy is a beast.

Schaub is a rythym passer, if he is feeling it and our running game is effective enough then he does posess the ability to light up a secondary as I have seen him do many times. But he is consistently very minimal with his mistakes even if he is not in a good rythym or is being harrassed.

Just a hunch, but I think you will see Ben Tate get some real opportunities to make his mark in this game now that he is healthy again. When he gets rolling along with Foster... We tend to chew up major clock and our drives seem to never end. Which is obviously something we must do to have a chance.

Btw: these are the best Texans boards to visit: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56

Last edited:
Some JJ Watt v Marcus Cannon here. Vollmer uncertainty could suggest a rematch. And in limited confrontations, Cannon did OK.

JJ Watt vs TCU Rose Bowl - YouTube

Wow JJ Watt almost tore up Cannon knees on one of those plays. Cannon did a fine job though. Now if Watt was so heralded how could we have a taken that mash unit Glass-I Dowling where we did.:mad:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey