PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Plan Thoughts for Houston?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it nice to see respectful mature fans?

I'm so used to those mangy jest fans I forgot there are other classy fanbases

You would think Talib will be on Andre Johnson and hopefully not Arrington.:rolleyes:Also if u cant get pressure then try some timely blitzing.

Stoping Aryn Foster is the first thing they need to do.Stop their running game.

Texans slot corner is done for the season.

1. Double Andre
2. Cover Daniels
3. Slow down Arian
4. Protect Brady
5. Win

Sounds like a plan. Anyone else heard that there is snow in the forecast?

Be the more physical team. Beat up AJ at the line and hit Foster hard every time he touches the ball.

***Kick Schaub in the family jewels***

:)

That last part was Detroit's plan and it didn't work out so well...

Thank you Doc; should I rant some more that you guys picked up Nate Solder?

I think most people rated him below Carimi and Castonzo, but I thought he was the better of the bunch.

And there it goes again, another good OT going to the Pats.

How has he worked out for you guys so far?

I did follow him some; I think he's doing well.
But of course, I don't get to watch him every game.

What I find a little surprising is how well your O-line has been performing as a whole, given all the changes.

Not too many sacks and QB hits allowed.

With a guy like Brady, it's double-trouble for the opposing defense.

And should I rant some more how you guys got Welker?
I wanted that guy, too!

But we're not doing too shabby ourselves; I think we'll give you a good battle, unlike the shellacking against the Cards a few years ago in the snow.

double johnson...stop foster

give brady time in the pocket..if it's like mia game..we will be in trouble

Last edited:
double johnson...stop foster

give brady time in the pocket..if it's like mia game..we will be in trouble

That's right... Give AJ the Fitz treatment, don't let Foster kill you and their offense will struggle. Walter isn't a threat, Daniels is a pretty good TE, other then that there isn't much to worry about.

That last part was Detroit's plan and it didn't work out so well...

LOL, agree.

You kick the dog, he could get mad, and there's no telling what's gonna happen.

Overall, I don't think you guys bring too many blitzes, at least the last few years.
I did watch plenty of your defense, out of curiosity how McCourty would work out after he was drafted.

A pretty good job by the guys up front, I must say.

Giving up some yards in the passing game, but creating plenty of opportunities for the guys in the back-end to make plays.

BTW, I like Dennard as a low round pick, too.

That's right... Give AJ the Fitz treatment, don't let Foster kill you and their offense will struggle. Walter isn't a threat, Daniels is a pretty good TE, other then that there isn't much to worry about.

I don't know if you guys hear much about Garrett Graham out of Wisconsin.
He was injured in the second quarter against the Titans.

Our offense relies a lot on the 2-TE formation.
It limited the play call from there on out since we don't have another TE active.

Forecast says cold and wet :)

1. Run

2. Hurry up and run again

3. Develop seat heater problems on the visitors side.

4. Repeat 1-2

The key on defense has to be to slow down Foster. He's the main cog in the offensive machine. Get him going and he's one of the better runners in the game. But he's most dangerous in opening up play action. That's what they live on. Stop him first and foremost and double Andre Johnson. Disguising is going to be another huge factor. We can't just trot out a vanilla defense where we're making it obvious pre-snap what we're doing. This is not a Ryan Tannehill offense. If Schaub gets an idea of what we're doing, he'll pick the defense apart. Disguise, disguise, and disguise some more. It'll force confusion and turnovers.

Offensively, we have to stay balanced. The OL is banged up so if Brady drops back 40 times, he's going to absorb a lot of hits. Give them a nice dose of the run game and, in doing so, give Houston a dose of its own medicine: play action. If Ridley gets going, it's going to force the safeties to cheat up. When they do, they'll have even more trouble defending the seam than they already do. This is where Welker, Hernandez, and Lloyd could have huge days. In all, the offensive execution will, once again, hinge on protecting #12. Do that, and the offense will do enough to win the game.

I've spent the last two weeks posting on Texans forums. They have some of the classiest fans I've ever come across.

The key on defense has to be to slow down Foster. He's the main cog in the offensive machine. Get him going and he's one of the better runners in the game. But he's most dangerous in opening up play action. That's what they live on. Stop him first and foremost and double Andre Johnson. Disguising is going to be another huge factor. We can't just trot out a vanilla defense where we're making it obvious pre-snap what we're doing. This is not a Ryan Tannehill offense. If Schaub gets an idea of what we're doing, he'll pick the defense apart. Disguise, disguise, and disguise some more. It'll force confusion and turnovers.

Offensively, we have to stay balanced. The OL is banged up so if Brady drops back 40 times, he's going to absorb a lot of hits. Give them a nice dose of the run game and, in doing so, give Houston a dose of its own medicine: play action. If Ridley gets going, it's going to force the safeties to cheat up. When they do, they'll have even more trouble defending the seam than they already do. This is where Welker, Hernandez, and Lloyd could have huge days. In all, the offensive execution will, once again, hinge on protecting #12. Do that, and the offense will do enough to win the game.

That's going to be really really hard to do. I think both Arian and Andre are equally potent offensive weapons. Andre's the #4 leading receiver in yards in the NFL right now, and Schaub is completing at 64%. Even though he only has 3 TD's, this is because they are relying on Foster to punch them in the red zone and on guys like Owen Daniels, who is 6'3, 249 and is an important red zone threat for them with 6 TD's for the season.

The scariest stats for me?

Andre Johnson(WR), Kevin Walter(WR), Owen Daniels(TE), Garret Graham(TE) James Casey(FB), are all 6'3. And big.

They also each have at least 2 TD's for the year. Arian Foster, 6'1, also has 2 receiving touchdowns.

How the hell are we going to cover all of these guys, especially man to man? There is only 1 Aqib Talib. Honestly, I feel this team is so balanced, and so athletic, I don't think we can realistically stop them. I'm predicting a shoot out and off to the races. That will be our best chance.

I've spent the last two weeks posting on Texans forums. They have some of the classiest fans I've ever come across.

some of the texans fans i know are the friendliest ones i have met.

I've come to realize I like these texans fans...why couldn't they have been the best team in that division for the past decade? Would have made the banter more enjoyable

Insert Brandon Harris (2011 2nd round pick) whom we have been bringing along slowly. Far more upside, very little experience.

Interestingly the Texans drafted Harris with a pick obtained from the Pats (#60).

The Pats received 3rd and 5th round picks that they used to draft Stevan Ridley and Marcus Cannon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes