PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game 7 Official Thread

Game 5 makes this a more bearable.

The Ump wanted to go home. Oki got some high strikes in the 8th and the Kotsay 3rd strike was a joke. I can see Drew's swing as a strike, but it seemed close for a Home Plate Ump to call.

Tek. His Hr the previous game, I assume in Tito's mind, allows him to hit in the 7th and 9th. Horrible at bats.

This team's bunt attempts are embarrassing.

Coco's slide into 2nd was perfect example of the Red Sox in this series. A blown opportunity.

I guess it's "Free Agents", "If Beckett's healthy..." and "Who is the 4th and 5th starter next year" thread time.

First of all, I didn't think it was a badly called game. What other calls did you see that were outrageous and cost the Sox the game. Secondly, you didn't respond to the Sugar Ray Hamilton judgement.

I thought the strike zone was terribly inconsistent, and the Rays caught quite a few calls with balls outside that missed by a decent margin. The called third strike in Kotsay's last at-bat was pretty ugly. As for Sugar Bear... as bad as that call was, it still didn't end the game. Much like the Raiders whining about the tuck rule game, which was the right call, they still had an opportunity to win. When an umpire is calling balls six inches off the plate as strikes, that can essentially remove any chance for a batter to succeed. Unless you're Vlad Guerrero, and can hit balls off your shoelaces or up around your ears, it's pretty much impossible to do anything with a ball that far outside, which is why it's supposed to be called a ball.

I thought the strike zone was terribly inconsistent, and the Rays caught quite a few calls with balls outside that missed by a decent margin. The called third strike in Kotsay's last at-bat was pretty ugly. As for Sugar Bear... as bad as that call was, it still didn't end the game. Much like the Raiders whining about the tuck rule game, which was the right call, they still had an opportunity to win. When an umpire is calling balls six inches off the plate as strikes, that can essentially remove any chance for a batter to succeed. Unless you're Vlad Guerrero, and can hit balls off your shoelaces or up around your ears, it's pretty much impossible to do anything with a ball that far outside, which is why it's supposed to be called a ball.

That bad call cost the Patriots the game, period. The called strike against Kotsay did not cost the Sox the game. There have been many instances in football where bad calls have cost teams wins. Its not even worth arguing over. We agree to disagree.

Dats wot juu get meng, Boston.

MannyRamirez.jpg

Kept the golf carts warmed up for juu.

That bad call cost the Patriots the game, period. The called strike against Kotsay did not cost the Sox the game. There have been many instances in football where bad calls have cost teams wins. Its not even worth arguing over. We agree to disagree.

Really, it cost them the game? It scored the touchdown for the Raiders that won it? Until points can be awarded by referees in football, there is no way to say that call cost the Patriots that game. Awful call, but they still had a three point lead, and were likely to give up the tying field goal anyway. They could have stopped the winning touchdown and didn't, bad call or not.

Last edited:
Let's face it, that Rays team is stacked. We should be proud of our Sox team taking them to the limit. Good luck to them in the WS, which they will win.
more diarrhea from schfinkter boy. :rolleyes:

Joking about what? The call, or not being a fan of either team?
he cant believe you post on a game seven redsox thread informing everybody you like football better. i know i speak for everybody when i say thank you. we were all on pins and needles waiting to find that out
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Really, it cost them the game? It scored the touchdown for the Raiders that won it? Until points can be awarded by referees in football, there is no way to say that call cost the Patriots that game. Awful call, but they still had a three point lead, and were likely to give up the tying field goal anyway. They could have stopped the winning touchdown and didn't, bad call or not.

Bottom line, is that a referee can just as easily cost a team a game as can an umpire. To argue this point is moronic. Here is another recent example: Ed Hochuli's incorrect call cost the San Diego Chargers the win over Denver. It is irrelevant the sport. Any official be it basketball, baseball, football, can effect the outcome of the game. A baseball umpire isn't that drastically different from a football referee who can make one lame call and throw the whole game. What's even more amazing, is someone who posts on this thread who admittedly has no interest in either the Rays or the Sox and proclaims that this particular game's umpire was somehow responsible for the loss to the Sox. If that was even close to being the case, don't you think there would be at least one thread by an upset Sox fan complaining about balls and strikes?

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back