PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Galloway Says He & Patriots Weren't 'a Good Fit'

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Ian's Daily Blog - Christopher Price of WEEI.com pointed out that on Friday former Patriots wide receiver Joey Galloway appeared on the Scott Van Pelt show and discussed the issues surrounding his eventual departure from New England. According to Galloway he simply said that despite all the talk that he and quarterback Tom Brady “couldn’t get on the same page”, [...]

Re: Galloway Says He & Patriots Weren?t ?a Good Fit?

Galloway you were a talentless ass.

Really? The Patriots dont have a need for a 3rd receiver? Hmmmm....i guess guys like Donte Stallworth, Jabar Gaffney, (early) David Givens and (later) David Patten/Troy Brown had no real roles either.

F***ing moron.

he just wanted to go deep and at 37 years old he was not going to even beat a safety.

he just wanted to go deep and at 37 years old he was not going to even beat a safety.

Umm, does Galloway know the Patriots decided a 5'10" seventh-round ex-QB had more upside at receiver?

Last edited:

Not a brilliant observation on Joe's part but at least he doesn't seem bitter.

Umm, does Galloway know the Patriots decided a 5'10" seventh-round ex-QB had more upside at receiver?

we know that but he will never say that he can't play any more and after the pats cut him. there was a lot of football left to be played and a lot of teams that need it a WR and still no one called him cause he sucks

Why all the harsh words in this thread for Galloway? He didn't say anything bad.

Why all the harsh words in this thread for Galloway? He didn't say anything bad.

I agree. Seems like there should have been a meeting of the minds on his role. He's terrible in traffic. If that's what they wanted him to do, why acquire him?

Had he learned the playbook, ran his routes correctly and played his role, I'm sure Galloway would have been a "good fit".

Now that said, if what Galloway says about the third receiver practice and game planning is true, then I want the entire offensive coaching staff fired and replaced.

Last edited:

Had he learned the playbook, ran his routes correctly and played his role, I'm sure Galloway would have been a "good fit".

Now that said, if what Galloway says about the third receiver practice and game planning is true, then I want the entire offensive coaching staff fired and replaced.

On the flip side, if he thought of himself as WR3, that thought makes perfect sense, even if it's completely false.

Now that said, if what Galloway says about the third receiver practice and game planning [ignored] is true, then I want the entire offensive coaching staff fired and replaced.

Or at least they should reevaluate the WR3 value. In the SB years and up until the 2007 season, TB made his reputation by seeing the field and throwing to the open receiver.

How many times did we hear "that's the 7th receiver Brady's thrown to this game"? Those offenses were effective in getting 1st downs and marching down the field, eating up the game clock and eventually scoring td's more often than field goals in the red zone. Why can't the Pats have RM as a deep threat and also have multiple receiving threats as well? Seems to me a solid WR3 would have helped tremendously this past year...

Damning indictment of Belichick and the offense if this is true.

we know that but he will never say that he can't play any more and after the pats cut him. there was a lot of football left to be played and a lot of teams that need it a WR and still no one called him cause he sucks

He signed for the Squeelers near the end of the season didn't he??

He signed for the Squeelers near the end of the season didn't he??

yes but he never played i guess the steelers were hopeing they would make the playoffs and they could use him then

:agree: What Galloway said seems to be true. PATs offense was primarily
Randy and Wes with very very few throws going to the 3rd WR (in 3 WR sets).
Yes RB would get a few and occasionally a TE would get a chance but
mostly the 3rd WR just played decoy.
When another team sees this is what you do it gives them a big advantage
as it's basically 11 on 10 for plays with 3 WRs.
Shame on you Mr. Guru.

We can only speculate though since Belichick will never respond to this kind of spin, at least until the next behind the scenes book comes out, and he knows that players egos seldom allow them to be accountable in failure...

Can't imagine Bill ever hires someone to be a #3 WR without expecting them to be able to learn the playbook, make at least fundamental reads and rudimentary adjustments, run all the routes at least competently, get open against single coverage and make fundamentally sound plays like staying inbounds in the EZ or catching the damn ball when it hits you in the hands.

Galloway was a FO and pro personnel scouting failure. It's easier for the player to spin that as I was misled about my role than they were mistaken about my skills... At the end of the day the result is the same, he wasn't a good fit. I know some here feel that utilizing Galloway simply as a deep threat would have accomplished something. I remain unconvinced it would have added anything appreciably. We couldn't consistently pass block well enough to play the long game to advantage except against the little sisters of the poor. We needed more short to intermediate options Brady could trust to quickly counter pass rushers. We've already got one big fish playing out of water in that respect. Didn't have room for another. You can only field so many potential receivers...the key is finding ones that are adaptable and reliable in the majority of situations you routinely encounter.

I recall seeing stats that showed Galloway had 20 passes thrown to him in 3 games. That doesn't seem to mesh with the statement that the 3rd WR was an afterthought in the offense.

Galloway definitely struggled, but I don't get the people who say he lost his speed. He was open a lot of times, and several chances was wide open deep but Brady missed him (remember the first Jets game?).

And for all the talk of Gaffney being a great 3rd receiver for us, he really didn't catch that many balls in the regular season. He caught 40+ passes 4 times in his career, passing 50+ catches 2 times, and none of those came with the Pats. His Patriots high was 38 in 2008, or just over 2 catches per game. This year, he topped 50 catches with Denver, but 14 of those came in the last week when Marshall was suspended.

Of course Gaffney had some great play-off games for us, and deserves full credit for that. And I'm not trying to downplay his performance, but just give it some perspective. For as awful as the Galloway-Brady connection was (and it was pretty awful), the catches per game weren't that different. Galloway had 7 catches in 3 games, a small sample size, but considering it was his first season with the team, I think they pulled the plug a bit quickly.

We can only speculate though since Belichick will never respond to this kind of spin, at least until the next behind the scenes book comes out, and he knows that players egos seldom allow them to be accountable in failure...

Can't imagine Bill ever hires someone to be a #3 WR without expecting them to be able to learn the playbook, make at least fundamental reads and rudimentary adjustments, run all the routes at least competently, get open against single coverage and make fundamentally sound plays like staying inbounds in the EZ or catching the damn ball when it hits you in the hands.

Galloway was a FO and pro personnel scouting failure. It's easier for the player to spin that as I was misled about my role than they were mistaken about my skills... At the end of the day the result is the same, he wasn't a good fit. I know some here feel that utilizing Galloway simply as a deep threat would have accomplished something. I remain unconvinced it would have added anything appreciably. We couldn't consistently pass block well enough to play the long game to advantage except against the little sisters of the poor. We needed more short to intermediate options Brady could trust to quickly counter pass rushers. We've already got one big fish playing out of water in that respect. Didn't have room for another. You can only field so many potential receivers...the key is finding ones that are adaptable and reliable in the majority of situations you routinely encounter.

Let me start by posting something I'd written on another site, regarding what you feel Galloway would have added:

Galloway had 7 catches in 3 games (2 starts) as he was learning the new offense and trying to get on the same page as a QB who was playing some pretty poor football.

Interestingly, in those 3 games, Moss had a 12 catch game against Buffalo, when Galloway didn't catch a pass. Then, against the Jets, Moss was held to 4 for 24 while Galloway had 5 catches. The next week, Moss had 10 catches while Galloway had just 2. Galloway never played another down for the Patriots.

Moss never reached double digits in receptions again, either. Moss, who had 5 100+ yard games this season, had 2 of them in the three game span that Galloway was with the team. Coincidence, perhaps....

Clearly there was a team failure at some level. That much, I think, we can all agree on. It's also pretty clear that the lack of a WR3 made the Patriots, particularly Moss, much easier to defend. The issue moving forth is discerning fault not to assess blame, but to avoid a repeat of the problem moving forward, and to figure out why the head coach/front office did such a terrible job of recovering from the failure.

Galloway definitely struggled, but I don't get the people who say he lost his speed. He was open a lot of times, and several chances was wide open deep but Brady missed him (remember the first Jets game?).

And for all the talk of Gaffney being a great 3rd receiver for us, he really didn't catch that many balls in the regular season. He caught 40+ passes 4 times in his career, passing 50+ catches 2 times, and none of those came with the Pats. His Patriots high was 38 in 2008, or just over 2 catches per game. This year, he topped 50 catches with Denver, but 14 of those came in the last week when Marshall was suspended.

Of course Gaffney had some great play-off games for us, and deserves full credit for that. And I'm not trying to downplay his performance, but just give it some perspective. For as awful as the Galloway-Brady connection was (and it was pretty awful), the catches per game weren't that different. Galloway had 7 catches in 3 games, a small sample size, but considering it was his first season with the team, I think they pulled the plug a bit quickly.

If he was targeted 20 times that's a 35% success rate, or a 65% failure rate depending on your POV. Brady to Moss was successful 59% I believe. Brady to Welker was around 75%. Success rate speaks volumes about why some guys get thrown to a lot, others not so much, and some get cut...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down