PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gaffney reminded me of Glenn yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I don't know why but Jabar yesterday reminded me of Terry Glenn when he was here...His patterns were precise and catches were perfect and he got open when Brady had pressure,I think he can be a force next year in the lineup..As a matter of fact I think he may be more likely to start next year rather than Caldwell.

Shows you why the Texans are still at the bottom of the league - Letting productive receivers like Gaffney go and passing on Reggie Bush a likely pro bowler next year and in years to come.....Pathetic

Most of Gaffney's receptions were 7-10 yard outs when the CB was playing 10-15 yards off the ball. Not exactly difficult routes to get open on.

Most of Gaffney's receptions were 7-10 yard outs when the CB was playing 10-15 yards off the ball. Not exactly difficult routes to get open on.

And you think that Gates did not get alot of short outs from Rivers this year? - Give me a break,that has alot to do with Rivers production this year as QB and also helped Gates numbers in receptions.

BUt then there was the 20 yarder where he was open for what seemed like miles....

And you think that Gates did not get alot of short outs from Rivers this year? - Give me a break,that has alot to do with Rivers production this year as QB and also helped Gates numbers in receptions.

No he did not. Gates runs very few short outs, and he runs virtually none where the defender is 15 yards off the line of scrimmage. Gates sees tight man coverage, usually with safety help, on every pass play. He never gets a free release to run into the flat and catch a 7 yard out.

BUt then there was the 20 yarder where he was open for what seemed like miles....

I'm not saying he didn't have a nice game, but Terry Glenn? Come on. This is Jabar Gaffney we are talking about.

The deep threat presented by Gaffney and Jackson against the Jets was very important to the Pat's win. In recent games the Pat's have been faced too often with defenders focused on defending the short game, or stacking the line of scrimmage. That creates all kinds of problems for Brady and for the RB's, however by throwing long with accuracy Brady caused the DB's to back off some.

Brady was almost picked off throwing the long ball behind Jackson, a situation we also saw too often with Bethel. Fortunately Jackson made a great move to break it up - another play like that and Jackson may be "recruited" next season to backup the CB's.

Last edited:

I'll give Gaffney more credit than that, but Glenn DEFINATELY stretches the field.

Gaffney's 31 yarder were mostly yards after the catch.

Teams know we still don't have a deep threat - but when someone like Gaffney (and Brady) can split the defense like that, teams will think long and hard about bringing their safeties out of the secondary.

Ever since the Miami game, the playcalling and execution seems to have recognize that even without a deep threat, one can still gameplan to keep Defenses honest. Yesterday was a perfect example of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back