PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gaffney Is Good Enough to Be Our Number 2 Next Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts on the ever-popular WR subject:

1. Gaffney is absolutely a top-3 receiver for this team.

2. When the second-best receiver on the team is a slot guy, the #2 vs. #3 distinction is academic.

3. Jackson can probably run around and not get balls thrown to him, thus opening things up for the others, just like Stallworth can.

4. Recent reporting strongly suggests that Washington will stick around in one of the ST-focused roster spots that have more commonly gone to DBs.

5. Brady today made the same kind of risky throws to Gaffney he's been making to Moss. Evidently he's really gotten into threading the ball at tall guys in tight coverage.

6. I think Troy has a good chance of making the team next year, although fumbling another punt didn't help. If Welker is hurt, who would you rather have than Troy running his routes?

Enough, I'm not going to get into this again. If you truly think that way, I feel bad for you.

Why wouldn't that have been a part of the decision? I would guess how they each looked in TC was also a part of it.

Why wouldn't that have been a part of the decision? I would guess how they each looked in TC was also a part of it.

because he can't deal with me being right about something (again).

Because I've paid attention enough (*cough*) over the past few years to realize that's not how Belichick operates.

yeah im not saying it was the only reason he was cut.. im just saying that it definitely had something to do with it...

Imagine if it was even between Gaffney and Caldwell for the final receiver slot..... most people would pick Gaffney over Caldwell b/c Gaffney is more clutch and Caldwell tends to choke.

As I said before, you do a great job of making a broad generalization based on a minuscule sample size.

because he can't deal with me being right about something (again).

Actually I was right. I said that the deciding factor would be how they performed in camp, not what happened in the playoffs.

Listen to us. We're 15-0. I'm done.

Because I've paid attention enough (*cough*) over the past few years to realize that's not how Belichick operates.

As I said before, you do a great job of making a broad generalization based on a minuscule sample size.

Actually I was right. I said that the deciding factor would be how they performed in camp, not what happened in the playoffs.

Listen to us. We're 15-0. I'm done.

no. you aren't right.

First you said Caldwell wouldn't be cut. WRONG

then you said that Caldwell's choke job in the playoffs had nothing to do with him getting cut when everyone who's being realistic knows that it played a part. We'll never know how big of a part, but it played a part.

Don't kid yourself. Put the ego aside and admit you are wrong.

My thoughts on the ever-popular WR subject:

5. Brady today made the same kind of risky throws to Gaffney he's been making to Moss. Evidently he's really gotten into threading the ball at tall guys in tight coverage.

Brady made at least one tight throw to Stallworth today down the middle of the field in the first half. Also Gaffney is usually match up with the 4th CB or a LB since he has been basically been playing the second slot position (ala Watson) and the only big play he's made lined up on the outside is the TD against Baltimore(everyone forgets Stallworth was the leading receiver in that game). And from what I can tell watching the games Stallworth is open a lot but Brady decides to go elsewhere including all the bombs to Brady this and last week.

Last edited:
Problem is moss 31 and next year 32.If he is out for a game or 2 how many feel goof with gaffney being the #1WR

Problem is moss 31 and next year 32.If he is out for a game or 2 how many feel goof with gaffney being the #1WR

You mean like last year? IMO

Jackson will continue to develop, he can only get better.
We have the BEST slot receiver in the game of football.

I'm positive we'll bring in a rookie or free agent to shake things up too.

I think Moss should be a good for a few more years and championship rings. I'm thinking at least 3 more for a total of 6. Not too greedy am I? :D

I like Stallworth but his salary does worry me. If he renegotiates to stay he'll be back. Otherwise... well you guys have seen how this organization operates.

This year the colts played their no1 CB on wes .Wes was locked down as he is not fast enough to get away from marlin jackson.As soon marlin had a foot injury he opened up. they were able to double cover the outside which cause us fits.......once wes start opening up they had to roll a safety effectively openning moss and stallworth- both plays the 2nd player coving stallworth and moss rolled towards wes and we won.

consider this they can put gaffney in single coverage roll the coverage to wes / box and shut the offense down when TE are thin like now.

I don't know what a #2 WR refers to. The WR with the 2nd most catches? If it means the receiver (Z) opposite of Moss (X), then Gaffney is not ideally suited for that role. The Z receiver has to be able to challenge the safety or else Moss, the running game, etc. will suffer. Stallworth has done a great job at keeping the safeties honest even though his catches have been down heading into this week.

CJ is ideally suited to the Z position. His skill set requires that a team not leave a 2nd CB (primary obviously on Moss) on an island. Gaffney doesn't do that. Gaffney has earned Brady's trust and is ideal as another inside receiver in the 4 wide set.

Can CJ stay healthy and earn the Z position? Nobody knows. An ideal situation would be to have Moss (X), Welker (Y), CJ (Z), Gaffney (4th) and Washington (5th, ST) be the receivers next year. Makes sense from a skills and salary perspective. Hopefully CJ develops and Gaffney/Washington resign for reasonable money.

no. you aren't right.

First you said Caldwell wouldn't be cut. WRONG

This being, of course, in March. Which is long before Caldwell's abysmal training camp outings.

then you said that Caldwell's choke job in the playoffs had nothing to do with him getting cut when everyone who's being realistic knows that it played a part. We'll never know how big of a part, but it played a part.

What "choke job?" The entire team played like **** that game. Of course it played a part. Just like Brady's last interception, just like Wilfork getting pancaked to let Addai walk in, just like Troy running the wrong route on third down, etc. They all played a part.

In fact, the first time I heard someone pin the loss on Caldwell was when you brought it up in that thread. It never even crossed my mind during or after that game. The only play involving Caldwell I was pissed about was when he was dragged down in the end zone and now flag was thrown. The entire team took the second half off, whether it was fatigue or heat or the flu, while the Colts decided to finally show up. It was that simple. Having Caldwell, Gaffney, and Brown as your WRs and Baker/Hawkins, Wilson, Hobbs, and Samuel as your DBs isn't going to win a championship. Thank you, Moss, Stallworth, Welker, and Meriweather.

Why the **** are we talking about a game from more than 11 months ago right now? 15-0.

Don't kid yourself. Put the ego aside and admit you are wrong.

Wrong about what? Wrong that I thought, based on his 2006 season that exceeded expectations, that Caldwell would come into camp and earn a roster spot? He and Gaffney were in direct competition for that final spot, and Gaffney beat him by a mile in training camp and the preseason. Gaffney's worked himself into the rotation in the past few weeks, and has a handful of touchdown catches to show for it. Caldwell's in street clothes every week with the Redskins.

Wrong about what? Wrong that I thought, based on his 2006 season that exceeded expectations, that Caldwell would come into camp and earn a roster spot? He and Gaffney were in direct competition for that final spot, and Gaffney beat him by a mile in training camp and the preseason. Gaffney's worked himself into the rotation in the past few weeks, and has a handful of touchdown catches to show for it. Caldwell's in street clothes every week with the Redskins.

Doesn't the fact that Gaffney beat Caldwell "by a mile in training camp and the preseason" prove that he was the better receiver?

I liked it when they brought this kid in , he played in bone yard for most his career in Houston, the o-line was horrid and the qb was not good, considering Carr was the 1st pick. Jab put up great numbers in college, did he leave early? I think his td catch last year against the colts in the afc champioship showed that this kid is not an average receiver. He has yet to disappoint, not too many mental mistakes or dropped balls. I think Brady can make anybody look good, but Jab defiantly has talent and I am glad NE recognizes that.

Doesn't the fact that Gaffney beat Caldwell "by a mile in training camp and the preseason" prove that he was the better receiver?

Sure as hell does. But that was never my point. Keegs always said that Caldwell should be cut instead of Gaffney because of what happened in January. I didn't think so.

I mean how huge has this guy been the past few weeks? He is CLUTCH. And then today he already has two amazing grabs! I don't think Stallworth will be back, but I do think Gaffney accepts a 4 year deal at about 3 million per year not including signing bonus.
Gaffney's a good guy, but he's really just another David Patten or David Givens. Great in a Patriot uniform, a nobody anywhere else.

Gaffney's a good guy, but he's really just another David Patten or David Givens. Great in a Patriot uniform, a nobody anywhere else.

And a Patten or Givens type is just fine for our system. As long as we don't have to overpay to keep Gaffney, I think he is coming back.

Sure as hell does. But that was never my point. Keegs always said that Caldwell should be cut instead of Gaffney because of what happened in January. I didn't think so.

you make it sound like i only thought he was caught because he choked against the Colts.

i said that his play in January played a part in him getting cut. I'm not saying it was the only reason, but it most definitely had something to do with it.

while you continue to pretend that players choking in AFC Championship games has nothing to do with the Pats' decision making when it comes to keeping/cutting players.

But you are right that i thought Reche should have been cut and Gaffney should stay based on January. Absolutely.
There is no place on this team for an inconsistent receiver that folds under pressure.

Last edited:
And a Patten or Givens type is just fine for our system. As long as we don't have to overpay to keep Gaffney, I think he is coming back.
I totally agree.

while you continue to pretend that players choking in AFC Championship games has nothing to do with the Pats' decision making when it comes to keeping/cutting players.

It doesn't.

Belichick's players live and die as a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back