PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gaffney Is Good Enough to Be Our Number 2 Next Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

mavfan2390

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I mean how huge has this guy been the past few weeks? He is CLUTCH. And then today he already has two amazing grabs! I don't think Stallworth will be back, but I do think Gaffney accepts a 4 year deal at about 3 million per year not including signing bonus.

Stallworth is gone due to the cap, it's a given at this point. I like the guy but there are other priorities to use the cap on. Between Gaffney or Washington they'll have someone who can play the outside and let Wes stay in the slot.

yes he is.

Good thing they chose him over Reche. I thought it was a no brainer the whole time.

Moss, Welker, Gaffney, and a hopefully healthy/improving Chad Jackson is good enough for me. Throw in a scrub #5 and we're all set.
Of course if there's another Welker-type contract, or a one year Stallworth/Moss type available; I'm all for signing a big name player for cheap.

Stallworth is an interesting one though. Even though he's said nothing but good stuff you've got to think he isn't getting enough throws to be willing to take a discount next year. He could very easily be #1 on a sub-part team, and a #2 on most good teams.

Last edited:
Gaffney has been excellent this season. I think he can certainly take Stallworth's slot if he's gone. Plus, you would hope Jackson could contribute in a big way come next season.

He's our #2 this year (well, Welker is, but you know what I mean). I'll take Moss, Welker, Gaffney, Jackson, and Washington (who should be re-upped if only because he looks like Steve Tasker-lite on special teams). Stallworth is good, but he's superfluous, and unless they can get Chad Johnson or something in a trade, those 5 are a good group.

i'd be dissapointed if we lost Stallworth..regardless how much $ because without him , we arent as good. You guys need to see that all 4 WRs help each other out. With 4 very good WRs..that doesnt allow teams to shut our passing game down because Gaffney/Stallworth/Welker just outmatch any nickel/LBs/Safeties. limits who gets double covered and how often aswell as if 1 person has a rough game, we can rely on others.

take 1 of the WRs out..any of them..and were not as dominant .

Belichick knew exactly what we get with Moss/Stallworth/Welker and espeically Gaffney after being here last year

the wildcard is and was Jackson because we havent seen enough of him. BB got players he knew can contribute and fit their roles in his brain and said MAGIC

Last edited:
yes he is.

Good thing they chose him over Reche. I thought it was a no brainer the whole time.

Yes, he had a much better camp than Reche. But don't fool yourself into thinking Beioli sat there in late August and were thinking about keeping Reche over Gaffney because of what happened in the playoffs.

And Gaffney could be the #2 next season, but the Pats could and will do better, as we've seen this season.

I'd like to see them restructure Stall. won't happen, but they will keep one or the other Gaffney, or Stall. Personally, I think Gaffney will be more economical. I'm totally good with it if it's Moss, Gaff, WW, and Washington (who will be back).

the only way Stallworth is gone is if we feel Jackson can do as good of a job if not better. so basically u still have 4 very good WRs. Gaffney's success was known..i dont see Gaffney's play affecting the off season for Stallworth. Thats Jacksons job..show us something in practice, games, wherever

Yes, he had a much better camp than Reche. But don't fool yourself into thinking Beioli sat there in late August and were thinking about keeping Reche over Gaffney because of what happened in the playoffs.

And Gaffney could be the #2 next season, but the Pats could and will do better, as we've seen this season.

I believe what happened in the playoffs was part of the decision.

Reche showed that when his team needs him the most, he cannot be trusted.

That doesn't work with this team.

Don't forget about Chad Jackson. He could really push Gaffney for that spot next year. His downfall would be his experience.

I believe what happened in the playoffs was part of the decision.

Reche showed that when his team needs him the most, he cannot be trusted.
That doesn't work with this team.

Enough, I'm not going to get into this again. If you truly think that way, I feel bad for you.

i'd be dissapointed if we lost Stallworth..regardless how much $ because without him , we arent as good. You guys need to see that all 4 WRs help each other out. With 4 very good WRs..that doesnt allow teams to shut our passing game down because Gaffney/Stallworth/Welker just outmatch any nickel/LBs/Safeties. limits who gets double covered and how often aswell as if 1 person has a rough game, we can rely on others.

take 1 of the WRs out..any of them..and were not as dominant .

Belichick knew exactly what we get with Moss/Stallworth/Welker and espeically Gaffney after being here last year

the wildcard is and was Jackson because we havent seen enough of him. BB got players he knew can contribute and fit their roles in his brain and said MAGIC

Finally, something we agree about. It's amazing how many people evaluate what a 4th WR does as if the other 3 weren't out their drawing coverage from him...

And Jackson can't even make gameday active down the stretch, so penciling him in even as the 4th WR in 2008 is a stretch.

Finally, something we agree about. It's amazing how many people evaluate what a 4th WR does as if the other 3 weren't out their drawing coverage from him...

And Jackson can't even make gameday active down the stretch, so penciling him in even as the 4th WR in 2008 is a stretch.

why should Jackson make the active roster though? Im sure he would if Brown wasnt the vet he is and we wanted him to be here for the last RS home game. With Watson and Brady out, i would've expected him but i understand the respect for Troy

but why should he other wise? The top 4 arent making mistakes..hes taking a backseat for now. I would pencil him in if someone leaves..or even with a full training camp to compete. Washington is 1 of our top ST players so hes not gonna be inactive. and you can only use so many.

Enough, I'm not going to get into this again. If you truly think that way, I feel bad for you.

i feel bad for you, if you honestly believe that Reche choking in the biggest game of his life had nothing at all to do with him getting cut.

You can refuse to believe it if you want, but it played a part.

i feel bad for you, if you honestly believe that Reche choking in the biggest game of his life had nothing at all to do with him getting cut.

You can refuse to believe it if you want, but it played a part.

you are right. BB wouldnt have kept him around longer if that was the reason. Caldwell was given an equal chance in camp to compete. He wasnt as good as our top 4 guys and Washington brought more ST value. If Caldwell was a good ST player..he probably would've stuck

you are right. BB wouldnt have kept him around longer if that was the reason. Caldwell was given an equal chance in camp to compete. He wasnt as good as our top 4 guys and Washington brought more ST value. If Caldwell was a good ST player..he probably would've stuck

Don't you mean "you are wrong?"

yeah im not saying it was the only reason he was cut.. im just saying that it definitely had something to do with it...

Imagine if it was even between Gaffney and Caldwell for the final receiver slot..... most people would pick Gaffney over Caldwell b/c Gaffney is more clutch and Caldwell tends to choke.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes