Welcome to PatsFans.com

Ga. immigration law breeds fear, mistrust

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +192 / 4 / -6

Any compassionate conservativism here?

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2007/07/30/ga_immigration_law_breeds_fear_mistrust/

When Emelina Ramirez's roommates attacked her, punching and kicking her in the stomach, she called the police for help. The police handcuffed her, took her to jail, and ran her fingerprints through a federal database. She is now in an Alabama cell awaiting deportation.
    Article Tools

In the last month, Ramirez's story has spread beyond the Hispanic community in Carrollton, the small rural town west of Atlanta where she lived, and across Georgia, which has just enacted one of the nation's harshest laws against illegal immigration. It is a story that, for many undocumented immigrants, has one moral: Do not trust the police.

"People are living in fear," said Jerry Gonzalez, executive director of the Georgia Association of Latino Elected Officials, which is attempting to educate Hispanic residents on the state's new law. That is difficult, he said, because of the vast difference in how local enforcement officials interpret the law. The Georgia Security and Immigration Compliance Act, which took effect July 1, requires law enforcement officers to investigate the citizenship status of anyone jailed for a felony crime or driving under the influence. It also directs Georgia's Department of Public Safety to select and train state patrol officers to enforce federal immigration law while carrying out regular duties.

At the same time, criminals are targeting undocumented immigrants, aware that they tend to have large amounts of cash and are wary of reporting crimes to officials. "It's the Wild West out here," said Rich Pellegrino, director of the Cobb Cherokee Immigrant Alliance, which has been working with the police department's crime prevention unit in Cobb County, a suburban county northeast of Carrollton, to persuade undocumented immigrants to report crimes and serve as witnesses after a string of home invasions targeting Hispanics in trailer parks this year.
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +437 / 5 / -2

Bye. Next time come here legally.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +549 / 2 / -9

Soon the nasty little war that Bush & The Democrats want kept quiet will blow up in their faces, the Left Wing Media is scared to death of it, they don't whose side to take (Minority On Minority) quite a pickle for a liberal to be in.

This war is being fought every day in America's Prisons.

Welcome to America.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  4. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

It doesn't help the rest of society to have criminals that stab people running lose. Would you rather they catch someone who has may very well attack someone else, or someone who snuck into America?

What about if an illegal alient is raped? You'd rather they deport them then go after the rapist? Oh yeah, society will be served by that.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  5. Real World

Ratings:
    +437 / 5 / -2

Um, let's get this straight. This is the real world. When you break the law to enter a country illegally, you assume some risks. Were I to sneak into another country, I'd know ahead of time, what those risks were. These people should have considered all of this, before they came here illegally. The bottom line is that the illegals are criminals themselves. If a theif is molested, you don't let the thief go, and only target the molester. You target them both. Sorry, but the appologist society in this country, the people who give refuge to, and coddle illegals, are partly to blame here. This country should be weeding out, and deporting illegals. We should be making it hard for them to make it here. I don't want any human being to suffer at the hands of a criminal, or to be abused in any way. At the same time, when you break the law, you assume risk.

BTW, what about when a US citizen is raped by an illegal alien? How about the thousands of children that are molested by illegal aliens? How about the citizens who won't make it home to their loved ones because they were killed by an illegal? Like I said, bye, and next time come here legally. It sucks, but that's life.
  6. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So again, the question is:

If an illegal immigrant is raped, do you want them to call the police so the rapist is caught, or do you want them not to call the police because they're afraid of being deported.

Forget what's better for the illegal alien, how is society served when illegals don't report violent crime? Those are the two choices: call the police or don't call the police, which do you prefer?
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +437 / 5 / -2

Oh, I want them to call the police. They should call them. If it ends up that it leads to their deportation then that's not my problem. Look, if I carry an illegal weapon, and something happens to me where I need to contact the police but fear being arrested for carrying a weapon, I've got a decision to make now don't I? Who's problem is it? If you've got pot growing in your attick and you house gets robbed, you need to call the police don't you? Should you say to the police "hey, my house was robbed, you need to come down here, but please ignore the pot I've got growing in the attic. Afterall, pot is harmless, and home invaders are dangerous".

The answer is a real sh!tty one Pujo, and I know that, but people need to understand the risks they take when they break our laws and come here illegally.
  8. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +192 / 4 / -6

Perhaps in the interest of society at large, the law should be changed to protect victim's rights. Let's take an abused child. The abused child is an illegal alien, but obviously not as result of any decision on the child's part.

In Georgia, if the parents of the child called the police, the whole family might be deported. Therefore, they might decide it's in their best interest not to call the police, even if it leaves a child molester on the loose. It seems to me that Georgia is a great place for criminals thanks to its illegal immigration law.
  9. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

That's fine, it's a reasonable answer, but illegal immigrants read the news (they even have Spanish-language newspapers), and they quickly learn that they can't call the police because they'll get deported. Net effect = more violent criminals in the street.

You'd like to have it both ways but you can't, very few people are stupid enough to call the cops if they know they're going to get deported, they'll just deal with it and society will deal with more crime.
  10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +549 / 2 / -9

Sit Back And Watch The Show

Playing This Week:
    George Bush The Democrats And The Illegal Aliens

Act One----The Invasion Was Successful
    Act Two----Raise The Taxes
    Act Three...Minority's Killing Each Other
    Act Four---Illegal Aliens Joining The Police Dept
    Finale----English Language Banned In America

:bricks:
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +437 / 5 / -2

PLease. You are such an appologist. ILLEGAL ALIENS ARE CRIMINALS. You want me to feel bad that a criminal is victimized, but won't go to the cops. What about the American Taxpayer that is vicitimized by the tens of millions of illegals who enter this country of their own accord? Illegal immigration, in and of itself, adds more violent crime to our streets, yet you and your ilk want to legalize it. :confused: And you say I want it both ways? Nope. I want it one way, all criminals held accountable!
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +437 / 5 / -2

I went to Home Depot today and the automated machine was talking to me in Spanish.
  13. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

That's fine, as long as you understand that the net effect is more rapists, thieves, and other violent criminals walking around. You won't actually catch any more illegals - trust me, they'll learn fast and stop calling the police - you'll just catch fewer violent criminals.
  14. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

That's because you selected it, gringo.
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +437 / 5 / -2

That's fine, as long as you accept that open borders, and the illegal invasion means that the net effest is more rapists, thieves, and other violent criminals walking around.
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +437 / 5 / -2

Hey, it's signor gringo to you! :p