Welcome to PatsFans.com

G.O.P. Leaders Knew in Late ’05 of E-Mail

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +585 / 22 / -19

G.O.P. Leaders Knew in Late ’05 of E-Mail

This is great news. The perversion of the right-wing of the Republican Party is finally getting exposed. They're lying hypocrites. The people who put these right-wing pedophiles and their admirers into office buy into almost everything else that those perverts stand for. It reminds me of a conversation I once had with an American Nazi, who said to me that he liked Hitler, except for what he did to the Jews.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/01/w...&en=a7760582db028fd5&ei=5094&partner=homepage

WASHINGTON, Sept. 30 — Top House Republicans knew for months about e-mail traffic between Representative Mark Foley and a former teenage page, but kept the matter secret and allowed Mr. Foley to remain head of a Congressional caucus on children’s issues, Republican lawmakers said Saturday.

The exchanges began with what Republicans now describe as an “overfriendly” e-mail message from Mr. Foley to the unidentified teenager. But news reports about the exchanges have led to the disclosure of e-mail correspondence with other former pages in which the discussions became more and more sexually explicit. Shortly after he was confronted by ABC News on Friday about the subject, Mr. Foley, who represented a south Florida district, resigned from the House.

The revelations set off a political upheaval, with Democrats and some Republicans alike calling for a full investigation of Mr. Foley’s conduct and whether House leaders did enough to look into it. Members of the Republican leadership sought Saturday to detail how they had handled the case in an effort to defuse the matter, even as it was emerging as an issue in Congressional races.

Among those who became aware of the communication in the fall of 2005 between Mr. Foley and the 16-year-old page, who worked for Representative Rodney Alexander, Republican of Louisiana, were Representative John A. Boehner, the majority leader, and Representative Thomas M. Reynolds of New York, chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee. Mr. Reynolds said in a statement Saturday that he had also personally raised the issue with Speaker J. Dennis Hastert earlier this year.

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +819 / 27 / -33

Re: G.O.P. Leaders Knew in Late ’05 of E-Mail

I read that this AM, does conspiracy have any bearing on this? If you know something is wrong and do not do anything about it are you complicit?

This crap has happened too many times for anyone to turn their back on it, whether it be the Catholic Church... any organization or the US senate. Elected folks know better and need to be held accountable.

3. mikey

mikey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

If you know there is a sexual predator preying on little girls and you keep quiet about it, then you are condoning it.

4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +461 / 12 / -14

The pols love to cover for their own, this is a disgrace.

BTW how is Rep Studds doing and were you similiarly outraged when the dems didn't force him to resign and he was reelcted?

5. andyguitar

andyguitar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Will someone refresh my memory on Studds. Was he ever charged with being with a minor? What was the reaction from all politicos? What really happened? If possible, please answer without spin.

Andy

6. andyguitar

andyguitar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ok, I"m answering my own question, here is what Wikipedia had to say.

"Studds is remembered chiefly for his role in the Congressional page sex scandal in 1983, when he and Representative Dan Crane were censured by the House of Representatives for separate sexual relationships with a minor – in Studds's case, a 1973 relationship with a 17-year-old male congressional page.

During the course of the House Ethics Committee's investigation, Studds publicly acknowledged his homosexuality, a disclosure that, according to a Washington Post article, "apparently was not news to many of his constituents." Studds stated in an address to the House, "It is not a simple task for any of us to meet adequately the obligations of either public or private life, let alone both, but these challenges are made substantially more complex when one is, as I am, both an elected public official and gay."

As the House read their censure of him, Studds turned his back and ignored them. Later, at a press conference with the former page standing beside him, the two stated that what had happened between them was nobody's business but their own.

7. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +461 / 12 / -14

Gary Studds not only propositioned but had sex with a 17 yr old male page. He was censured but was not asked by his party to resign. Indeed he was reelected after the scandal. Then there is Mel Renyolds who had sex with a 15 yr old girl, but wwas pardoned by Clinton.

If Foley is pardoned by Bush he should be scorned for it.

8. andyguitar

andyguitar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

On the Foley scandal

On September 28, 2006, ABC News reported that in 2005 Foley had sent email messages, from his personal AOL account, to a then-16-year-old former Congressional page, asking the page to send him a photo of himself, among other things.[1] Foley submitted a letter of resignation from Congress on September 29, 2006 in the wake of news reports about the communications.[2] The congressman issued a statement, saying "I am deeply sorry and I apologize for letting down my family and the people of Florida I have had the privilege to represent."

According to the Associated Press, Congressman Rodney Alexander, R-La., who sponsored the page from his district, told reporters that he learned of the e-mails from a reporter some months ago and passed on the information to Rep. Thomas Reynolds, R-N.Y., chairman of the House Republican campaign organization.[3] Carl Forti, a spokesman for the GOP campaign organization, said Reynolds learned from Alexander that the parents did not want to pursue the matter.
    [edit]

The content of the messages

After the email revelations, several pages came forward with a series of sexually explicit instant messages with other teenage male pages. According to ABC News, Foley wrote to one page: "Do I make you a little horny?" In another message, "You in your boxers, too? ... Well, strip down and get relaxed." The messages included references to sexual organs and discussion of masturbation techniques. [1] One former page said that people involved in the page progam had warned his class about Foley. Others said they had not reported Foley because he was a powerful Congressman.[2]

Former FBI agent and ABC consultant Brad Garrett commented, "Adds up to soliciting underage children for sex, and what it amounts to is serious both state and federal violations that could potentially get you a number of years." [3]

---So if I'm infering this correctly Studd's relationship was with a wanting participant and Foley was trying to solicite sex from various pages. Either way both are illegal, but Foley's seems more creepy.

9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +819 / 27 / -33

I am willing to bet there is more than one page or underage male involved here, how that Hastert has asked the FBI to investigate(which is pretty honorable) I suspect that there will be some serious fallout regarding this. I also suspect that there are others involved in this scandal..Foley wanted to be involved in the whole exploitation of children venue, I wonder if it was to gain access to other victims or his way of atoning for his sexual deviance??

10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 3 / -10

Studds:
    Studds is remembered chiefly for his role in the 1983 Congressional page sex scandal, when he and Representative Dan Crane were censured by the House of Representatives for separate sexual relationships with a minor – in Studds's case, a 1973 relationship with a 17-year-old male congressional page. The relationship was consensual, but violated age of consent laws and presented ethical concerns relating to working relationships with subordinates.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerry_Studds

This guy had the balls to turn his back on Congress while they were reading the charges against him, the Democrats in Mass went right back to electing him to office (he was a hero to some of them).

This is not an excuse for Foley, Foley should be destroyed, people should be warned if moves into their neighborhood.

This shows the double standard, Liberals usually defend people like Foley.

11. Patters

Ratings:
    +585 / 22 / -19

The Studds situation was different. He didn't have the anti-gay beliefs that the Republican leadership has. He was not accused of making unwanted advances, and the accusations against him concerned behavior that occurred ten years earlier. Nonetheless, Studds was censured, and deserved to be, for the boy was only 17-years-old.

Foley on the other hand was a closeted advocate of the anti-gay Republican agenda and was actively engaged in improper behavior with pages, while the Republican leadership looked the other way.

I don't think the Democrats attempted to coverup Studds' relationship. The liberals aren't being hypocrites here; they are simply doing what they can to expose the hypocrisy and corruption of the Republican leadership. I think if Foley was a Democrat, the liberals would have taken action. Liberals have always been in the forefront of fighting for children and helping victims of child abuse. Republicans generally care far less about victims than punishing perpetrators. In this case, they cared about nothing but politics.

Studds was reelected because he was apparently a terrific Congressperson especially for the fishing industry.

12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +819 / 27 / -33

I think you are bending the elbow too much again Harry, or have ingested too much of the right wing web sites or some type of combination of both... Liberals abhore child molesters(as do most people in this world), wanting justice for child molesters is a non partisan issue.. don't politicize it.

13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +461 / 12 / -14

As I thought rationalizing for the pedophile Studds. Hypocrite partisan.

14. Patters

Ratings:
    +585 / 22 / -19

You're a poor reader. I said it was right that he was censured, but the situation was different because their wasn't a coverup, and Studds himself was not engaged in the depth of hypocrisy that some leading Republicans seem to be. But, I suppose, now that you back the party of pedophile coverup, you have to be a little defensive. If you want to point out how I was hypocritical, feel free; but, if you want to just post emotional outbursts, that's okay too. I enjoy the hysteria of the right; it's entertaining.

15. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +901 / 7 / -3

You're such a hypocrite is comical. Here you are Mr Liberal himself, Mr. Anti-profiling, yet you call republicans as a whole, anti-gay. HA! You liberals are pathetic. Then, you sit here and say that Studds was different, sure he was, he was fugging an underage boy, that's different. Studds was not only forced/asked to resign, he was re-elected 5 more times. HA! Only in JOKE'achusetts. Oh, so I guess if this guy did a good job outside of raping little girls he should be re-elected too right? Neo-cons are scary, but you liberals truly do boggle the mind. Complete hypocrites is what you libs are.

Now for some sanity. Swith the D to an R, or the R to a D, and tell me what is different about these pedophiles you guys are comparing? That's right, nothing. There are crooked loosers, pedophiles, and party stooges on both sides people. Hopefully some day more of you will see that. How anyone could defend either of these azzhole skumbags is laughable. How Clinton could pardon a pedophile boggles my mind (his being re-elected in this retarded state is typical). This clown Foley, just like Cardinal Law and all the rapist priests, should all be in jail. Period

My 2 cents.

16. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +461 / 12 / -14

Why shouldn't he have been forced to resign for sodomizing a minor?

Some of the reports indicate that the emails that Hastert was aware of were 'creepy' but not the really disgusting stuff which was on Foley's personal aol acct. which hastert wouldn't have been aware of.

In any event Foley was forced out Studds wasn't indeed he was given a charimanship by the dems after he was found to have been sodomizing minors. Whether it was 'consensual' or not is irrelevant the page was a minor, BTW how many more were there?

He should have been bounced as Foley was.

You will excuse anything for a liberial. You won't fond any conservatives here trying to spin for Foley.

17. Patters

Ratings:
    +585 / 22 / -19

A censure is a powerful rebuke, and making Studds resign would have been okay with me, except, as usual, there were polical games going on. There was also a Republican caught up in a sex scandal, who was censured along with Studds (though I don't recall the details). It does complicate matters that Studds committed his crime ten years prior and that the boy, as an adult, fully defended and supported Studds. It may well have been that there was no evidence that Studds and the 17-year-old had sex, which would obviously complicate the situation. After all, evidence is required; suspicion is not enough to convict.

Obviously, there needs to be more of an investigation, but I also suspect that many of the Republican political leaders use these types of issues as political bludgeons but don't really have their hearts into it. I think they're guility of indifference more than guilty of actively covering something up. They were thinking of their political interests, and not paying enough attention to the pages.

Do we know that Studds was sodomizing minors? I really don't know, and if you find a detailed article I'd read it. What we do know is that he had some sort of relationship with the kid. If there's no proof he ever had sex with the 17-year-old, then that damn innocent until proven guilty concept really does get in the way.

By allowing Foley to resign, he'll be able to collect his pension. Let's see if the Republicans put a stop to that. I expect they will.

I'm merely pointing out that there's different evidence, different laws, and a different situation between Studds and Foley. Studds is probably lucky that he committed his dirty deed before the age of email and messaging. And I will not defend child abuse in any form, but I do believe the holier-than-though crowd should be called to account when with one hand they decry liberal permissiveness and with the other they allow child abuse in their ranks.

18. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +461 / 12 / -14

The censure was a joke, Studds turned his back when it was being read, mocking the process, as I pointed out he was later rewarded with a chairmanship. He should have been forced out by the dem leadership as happened with Foley.

Of course the dems aren't using Foley as a bludegon LOL! BTW who got a sold of Foley's private IM's when did they get a sold of them? Was a page used to bait Foley, by a partisan group?

I hope BTW that unlike Studds Foley is prosecuted (although I understand that 16 is the age of consent in DC).

Both Studds and the boy acknowledged having sex, Studds also said it wasn't anybody's business.

Got me don't know if it was sodomy or oral sex, Does it really matter? He had sex with a minor who was a page (someone he had power over, like the scumbag Foley).

Trying to paint differences in the behavior is tortured and hypocritical rationalization, but what ever floats your boat Patters. You are a loyal partisan.

Did they allow anything? They forced a resignation in a day before any investigation was completed. OTOH Studds was rewarded for his behavior with a committee chairmanship.

19. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 3 / -10

Studds wasn't sending e-mails Studds was screwing the kid, the Liberal Democrats loved him.

The people know, the democrats better not push it to far the backlash will do a job on them, the people know what "partisian phony's" they are, they will do and say anything to win.

Foley was a well known Homosexual, Pages were warned about him, the democrats had to know it, they said nothing, they are in the same "swill pen" as the republicans.

It is "Political Suicide" to say anything negative about Homosexuals, the media and the politically correct will destroy you, they all know that, the democrats are now playing politics with it, do you people really believe a "political skank hack" like Pelosi cares about the "human side" of it, Pelosi and the rest of those phony democrat bastards want Foley's seat they don't give a sh!t about that Page, somebody should investigate the Page, isn't it strange he comes out with it just before the elections, if I was his father I would of been after that Foley Rat with a gun as soon as I heard about it, why didn't the Pages parents go to the media with it when it happened, why wait until election time, did the "Uncle Teddy Gang" arrange that :rocker:

20. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The issue here is why did the GOP leadership cover it up? Are they unaware that kids were at risk of being harmed for their politically motivated cover up?

Thats the real issue. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/29/AR2006092901574.html

Why is it that the right always spins it to suggest its okay to do this because Studds did it 20 years ago? Talk about koolaid chugging.

Sleazeball Foley, John Boner, and Fat Pig Hastert ALL have some splaining to do. And somewhere under a rock, we should pull Tom Delay out by the shorthairs to explain his motive and involvement in this.

Oh, how proud you must be to be GOP.