PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

G.Meyers article: Martz chimes in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...nginis_aboutface_on_spying_burns_belic-1.html

Mangini's about-face on spying burns Belichick big time
Thursday, September 13th 2007, 4:00 AM
But one source, who was with the Jets during the time Mangini was an assistant to Belichick in New England, is turned off by his self-righteous approach to video spying.

"Here is the sad part," the ex-Jets source said. "When Mangini was defensive coordinator for the Patriots, they were doing it. It's like crying wolf. He was a part of that mess. Now he's on the opposite side. Now he's saying they can't do it. Wait a minute. You were part of that staff. He's on the same team. He didn't go and tell Bill, 'We can't do that.'"

..."I'll put it this way: That's not the only team that has ever done that," one head coach said yesterday. "It's a bunch of nothing. That stuff goes on everywhere. It ain't like it's something new. Are you kidding me? Half the teams do that crap. We've never done it here, but I've been involved in staffs that have done it."

But if he was stealing the Rams' defensive signals, did that contribute to the second greatest upset in Super Bowl history when New England beat St. Louis, 20-17, after the 2001 season?

"If he did steal signals in that game, he didn't do a very good job," said Lions offensive coordinator Mike Martz, the Rams coach at the time. "Going into the last drive, they had 100 yards of offense. He got the wrong signals. If he had our defensive signals, it didn't help him much."

The Patriots actually had 214 yards going into the 53-yard drive for the winning field goal on the last play of the game. Tom Brady's offense managed only one TD, 15 first downs and was 2-for-11 on third down. Belichick won two more Super Bowls in the next three years.

"He won legitimately," Martz insists. "Those players had to line up and play and win those games. And they did."

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: G.Meyers Article Martz Chimes in..

I'm Kind of surprised Martz is among the sensible crowd...

I think my favorite part of this whole drama is all the people saying something the lines of this:

"Are you kidding me? This kind of stuff goes on all the time. Everybody does it. I mean, WE don't do it. But it happens."

Last edited:
Martz is right. Belichick was known for bigtime upsets as the DC of the NY Giants, including Joe Montana and the 49ers in the NFC Championship game, and the Buffalo Bills in a Superbowl. The guy is a brilliant coach, it's silly to go back and cry that you would have somehow beat Belichick in the past (I'm looking at you Hines Ward).

Last edited:
Mike Martz is a stand-up guy. I never liked him, but I am impressed by his quote for this article:

"He won legitimately," Martz insists. "Those players had to line up and play and win those games. And they did."

Say what you want about him, but he could have nailed us like everyone else and he didn't... he told it like it was. This is especially significant because the media played up the whole chess match between him and BB and obviously they saw him coming out of that as a big baffoon who got schooled. This was his opportunity to erase all that and claim BB cheated. He didn't do it.

I have to say that my opinion of him has changed greatly.

The writer of the article is an A_S_S though:

"One good thing for Belichick: He's good with electronic equipment. When he gets out of coaching, he can get a job selling camcorders."

...that's how he wraps up the article? Stupid. Unfunny. Off-topic. I could have done better than that.

Mike Martz is a stand-up guy. I never liked him, but I am impressed by his quote for this article:

Say what you want about him, but he could have nailed us like everyone else and he didn't... he told it like it was. This is especially significant because the media played up the whole chess match between him and BB and obviously they saw him coming out of that as a big baffoon who got schooled. This was his opportunity to erase all that and claim BB cheated. He didn't do it.

I have to say that my opinion of him has changed greatly.

The writer of the article is an A_S_S though:

"One good thing for Belichick: He's good with electronic equipment. When he gets out of coaching, he can get a job selling camcorders."

...that's how he wraps up the article? Stupid. Unfunny. Off-topic. I could have done better than that.

+1. My respect for Marz is way up. My respect for Hines Ward has gone way down.

I HATE the media, it's not just this incident but pretty much how they blow any story, and seek quotes from people trying to escalate a non-situation.

I bet the media has interviewed over a hundred people on this, and is trying to goad players/coaches into saying some pretty stupid stuff.

Good for Martz,its too bad so many of the other coaches didnt have an independent thought from time to time...

I think my favorite part of this whole drama is all the people saying something the lines of this:

"Are you kidding me? This kind of stuff goes on all the time. Everybody does it. I mean, WE don't do it. But it happens."

Yeah. Just imagine what other stuff they ARE doing ...

Unlike Hines Ward, Jack Del Rio, LT....the list goes on

Note to Hines Ward: you did not lose in 2001/2002 because our OFFENSE was so good against your defense, but because Kordell Stewart kept completing passes to Patriots. We did not score a TD on offense in the 2d half.

Great article.....my favorite part

"At times, we would wave at the guy that was filming over there," a Jets source, who is no longer with the team, said yesterday. "We just gave false signals and waved at the camera. I don't know if they picked up our signals or not. We didn't really worry about it too much. We didn't make a big deal out of it. Sometimes we would just send a guy in with the play instead."

Note to Hines Ward: you did not lose in 2001/2002 because our OFFENSE was so good against your defense, but because Kordell Stewart kept completing passes to Patriots. We did not score a TD on offense in the 2d half.

Better not to Hines:

The filming of your defensive coordinator really doesn't help in distinguishing OFFENSIVE PLAY CALLS.

NE was calling out your plays because you guys are unimaginative, not because of anything illicit.

DonBlackmon55...I'm not going to quote you, but please edit or delete part of your last post in this thread. Hate Hines Ward all you want, but no need for that. Really you're only embarassing yourself.

Mods...if he doesn't, would one of you please edit.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing