FYI: List of PS-eligible Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchick

Moderatrix
Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
For reference, I scoured the roster and found 33 players whom I believe to be eligible for the practice squad. I'm sure you'll all politely correct any errors or omissions. ;) I've grouped them below into rough categories based on the likelihood that they would clear waivers. (My own stab-in-the-dark opinions, of course.)

Black = Shouldn't be a problem
Blue = Probably, but if you really like the guy you might not take the chance
Red = Don't count on it

The judgments are based on a combination of pre-draft talent assessments, training camp buzz, and positional variables. For instance, Gostkowski makes the red group largely because of his plug-and-play position. Even if he started the season on the PS, the minute a kicker goes down he'd be gone.

Brian Barthelmes
Corey Bramlet
Vernell Brown
Earl Charles
Jon Condo
Erik Davis
Randy Hand
Keron Henry
Corey Mays
Michael McGrew
Todd Mortensen
Rich Musinski
Freddie Roach
Matt Shelton
Antwain Spann
Nick Steitz
Santonio Thomas
Raymond Ventrone
Gemara Williams
Pierre Woods

Willie Andrews
Wesley Britt
Bam Childress
Patrick Cobbs
Jeremy Mincey
Le Kevin Smith
Dan Stevenson

Stephen Gostkowski
Chad Jackson
Laurence Maroney
Garrett Mills
Ryan O'Callaghan
David Thomas

nm..............

Last edited:
Thanks for the list.

BTW, my surprise so far, Pierre Woods makes the team.

Maybe he just doesn't feel the pressure, but he looked confident and relaxed.

RayClay said:
Thanks for the list.

I'd be mighty pleased. The line on him in college was that he had all the physical ability in the world but didn't give the solid effort to put it all together. IF his draft-day neglect has sparked him to discover hard work and intensity, he could be a nice addition.

Thanks for the work.

I agree withall the REDS and BLACKs, but I'd quibble about some of the BLUES.

I think Andrews and Britt would get snatched up, but I think they make the club so its not an issue. Mincey and Smith might as well, but I think both have a shot at the inactive 53. I'd put Stevenson among the Blacks. I just don't see the big deal here.

Fun to think ab out. Nice list.

In general, I think we tend to rank our fringe/late pick/UDFA players higher than warranted. Another team would have to consider them pretty good to put them on the active roster just before the first game of the season ahead of one of their own fringe players. Especially since our guy would have to learn a whole new system. I don't think a lot of those late cuts get signed to another team. Obviosuly, it does happen though as the Pats risked Kory Chapman last year and got burnt.

JMO, but I think Santonio Thomas would get snatched up by Crennel or Mangini. At least a blue rating for him.

RayClay said:
Thanks for the list.

Maybe he just doesn't feel the pressure, but he looked confident and relaxed.

ive been thinkin and hoping this since the first day we signed him

he could be a great backup olb, with the tools to become a starter a few yrs down the road

I wonder if we have a young team now?

I have a question.

Guss Scott has been in the League fro two years but he went on IR in TC both years I beleive. Does he still have PS eleigibility. He hasn't been on the active list for 9 games or served on PS either.

What is the rule that applies here?

I don't think they would be candidates anyway, but I don't believe McGrew or Musinski are eligible.

dryheat44 said:
I don't think they would be candidates anyway, but I don't believe McGrew or Musinski are eligible.

AzPatsFan said:
Guss Scott has been in the League fro two years but he went on IR in TC both years I beleive. Does he still have PS eleigibility. He hasn't been on the active list for 9 games or served on PS either.

What is the rule that applies here?

These were some tricky ones. I'm pretty sure that Guss Scott is out of eligibility because he has two accrued seasons behind him. If it were just one and that one had been spent on IR, he'd be eligible.

For McGrew and Musinski I'm suffering from Insufficient Data Syndrome. From what I can find it looks like Musinski didn't meet the minimum number of active games during his one accrued season to be ineligible. And McGrew...er...one season on IR and one on the PS? Is that right? If so, he'd still be eligible.

Lamanai said:
JMO, but I think Santonio Thomas would get snatched up by Crennel or Mangini. At least a blue rating for him.

Could be, certainly...though the combination of the trade for Sullivan and the draft pick of Le Kevin Smith isn't particularly encouraging about Thomas.

Matt Shelton is on IR, so he can't go on PS too. :)

Of course, it raises a question--if Shelton was (reportedly) so bad, why put him on the IR at all (except, perhaps, as a favor to Charlie)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes