PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

FWIW, regarding Defensive Coordinator

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
A poster (with no reputation good or bad) on another board claims that Dean Pees will be named DC by the end of the day. I guess we'll see.

BelichickFan said:
A poster (with no reputation good or bad) on another board claims that Dean Pees will be named DC by the end of the day. I guess we'll see.

I was just about to post that info hear, and the guy says that someone in the Jets organization told him about it. Go Figure? :confused:

What's the rush? It took BB awhile last year to name Mangini (golf tournament). I don't see him doing it the day after/of losing the last one. I could be wrong but I give it at least until the end of the week if not later. Especially an in-house guy, if it's a guy like Bates whose out there for HC jobs then I could see the quick announcement but again not an in-house one.

More Info

http://www.kffl.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2506902
pats31 said:
That's cool. Things change. Hey guys, I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm just trying to give you some info. I thought that was welcomed here. Let's just say I'm close with someone who works for the Jets and leave it at that so I don't get anyone into trouble. I am 100 percent sure Dean Pees is the new DC and by day's end it will be made public. Sorry for trying to get the word out but I can't under any circumstance say who my friend is or it could get that person into trouble. Trust me though, this info is rock solid. Like I said, let's wait and see. I don't think that's asking too much.

Again FWIW, just passing along information.

Last edited:
PatsRI said:
What's the rush? It took BB awhile last year to name Mangini (golf tournament). I don't see him doing it the day after/of losing the last one. I could be wrong but I give it at least until the end of the week if not later. Especially an in-house guy, if it's a guy like Bates whose out there for HC jobs then I could see the quick announcement but again not an in-house one.

Could it be because Dean's contract might have expired or about to?
It sounds kind of fast to me also, but BB works in mysterious ways.

DefenseRules said:
Could it be because Dean's contract might have expired or about to?
Keeping in mind this is total speculation still . . .

I still think Pees' contract expires now and Saban might come after him again as DC as he's supposedly going to make staff changes. Not sure if he's looking to change his DC but it could be now or never for Belichick to select Pees.

BelichickFan said:
Keeping in mind this is total speculation still . . .

I still think Pees' contract expires now and Saban might come after him again as DC as he's supposedly going to make staff changes. Not sure if he's looking to change his DC but it could be now or never for Belichick to select Pees.

Well if this person is right, we'll find out sooner than later.

Can't wait long these days... hell, Saban, Crennel, or Mangini could hire these guys too.

It sounds pretty legit to me. He isn't bragging or being a jerk about it. According to him one of his buddies works for the Jets and told him right after they announce Mangini as their new coach, the Patriots are going to name Pees as his replacement and the Jets aren't very happy about it. You can kind of tell by a person's tone if he's full of BS but this poster has been nice, even when people were bashing him at first saying he was a liar and full of crap. Plus, can't we all see Bill naming a new DC right after the Jets name a head coach just to piss them off? I mean, it does make sense if you think about it.

Just heard Brian Morey from the Score 790 in Prov. say Pees will be named DC, as soon as today.

It isn't really surprising that Pees (or someone else) would be named so soon. The Mangini to the Jets rumors were widely known, and it seems everyone knew he wanted to take the job. BB would have certainly begun planning on his replacement...especially now with other teams trying to fill their HC openings.

One of the "benefits" to losing like we did is we get a head start at solidifying our coaching staff before all of the assistants are picked over.

Remember how we ended up with Mangini in the first place. Now maybe he was the choice anyway, but while we were still playing last year, we had already essentially lost both coordinators and all replacements from outside the organization were getting other jobs. We had to fight Crennell for him as it was.

Maybe Pees is also a good choice since being an older coach is less likely to be lost after 1-2 seasons as DC. We need to be left alone for a while. We can't develop coaches as fast as loser organizations want to take them.

Also, I read that there were some hard feelings in New England about Mangini's departure. This is just speculation on my part, but this is the second time that the Jets have been talking to a top guy who ended up taking their job while the Pats were involved in a playoff game...do you think there is the possibility that the Pats could be looking into possible tampering charges?

The Jets sure seemed to be talking to Mangini a lot, and I know there is only a certain window of time they are allowed to talk to him. Based on their history I wouldn't put it past them.

Last edited:
The Gr8est said:
It isn't really surprising that Pees (or someone else) would be named so soon. The Mangini to the Jets rumors were widely known, and it seems everyone knew he wanted to take the job. BB would have certainly begun planning on his replacement...especially now with other teams trying to fill their HC openings.

One of the "benefits" to losing like we did is we get a head start at solidifying our coaching staff before all of the assistants are picked over.

Remember how we ended up with Mangini in the first place. Now maybe he was the choice anyway, but while we were still playing last year, we had already essentially lost both coordinators and all replacements from outside the organization were getting other jobs. We had to fight Crennell for him as it was.

Maybe Pees is also a good choice since being an older coach is less likely to be lost after 1-2 seasons as DC. We need to be left alone for a while. We can't develop coaches as fast as loser organizations want to take them.

Also, I read that there were some hard feelings in New England about Mangini's departure. This is just speculation on my part, but this is the second time that the Jets have been talking to a top guy who ended up taking their job while the Pats were involved in a playoff game...do you think there is the possibility that the Pats could be looking into possible tampering charges?

The Jets sure seemed to be talking to Mangini a lot, and I know there is only a certain window of time they are allowed to talk to him. Based on their history I wouldn't put it past them.

Well even if/when he's promoted to DC, we still need a linebackers coach, at least I hope that we look for one. Because I think that it would be a good idea if he could focus on coordinating the defense alone, IMO. We might be looking for a secondary coach as well.

The Gr8est said:

I doubt it and I hope not. Old expression: "Never wrestle with a pig: You both get all dirty, and the pig likes it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back