PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

FWIW-Nomar retires...

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
...as a Red Sox.
Former MVP Garciaparra retires as member of Red Sox - MLB - CBSSports.com Baseball

I had high hopes for Nomar. So sad the day he was traded but we all saw it coming. Was it really the fastball on the wrist that cut his career short.
Thought he could have been the Next Ted Williams with the numbers he was putting up. And yes, I have heard the whispers of steroid usage.
Anyways, Good Luck, Nomar.
Like old girlfriends, I only want to remember the good times.

:(:(:(

Good old Nomey ... so loved nobody is commenting in this thread ... what's up with that?

I find this hard to believe, too.
To think of the seasons this man had for us.:(

Mehh - I wasn't sad to see him go. If I recall correctly he was "insulted" by the Sox offer to extend him ($6 million a season I think, which was a lot more than he wound up getting eventually), then seemed to just be another disgruntled player not giving his all during his final season.

Now I know at that point he was hurting too - so again, no point in going into the playoffs with a SS who can't be counted on to play.

But it was telling to me when I watched the game against the Yankees where Jeter nearly killed himself to dive after a foul ball into the dugout and Nomar had the same thing happen and just gave up.

At that point, when Jeter had clearly outclassed him I knew he had to go.

No hard feelings now - we traded him, got better and won the World Series. How could I hold a grudge against a guy like that?

I sometimes wonder ... not that it's any of our business if his marriage to Mia Hamm had anything to do with it. She's a west coast person ... I felt when he got married that he would not stay around anyways. Just throwing it out there - i do think it had something to do with it at that time.

All is well that ends well ... I like that he wanted to retire a Red Sox player I generally liked the guy. We have more than a few blowhards in the baseball media here - especially at that time. It had to be rough that they used him to make stories. The fans loved him and the media ... well ... we know that tune.

Last edited:
I'm glad Nomar retired a Sock. I always liked him, he wasn't as intense a player as a Youk or Pedey, but he did was still good for us. Hope he has fun in his new life after baseball!

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back