PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

FWIW, Curran Says Seau Signing Doesn't Mean Bruschi Out Longer Than Expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippo59

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I was watching NEST, and Curran said that Bruschi has adimately said he will be back for week one, and that if Bruschi says it he will believe him. He thinks it is more of a result in the dissatisfaction of the non-starters performances, and an attempt to add more experienced depth.

He also said that despite his age Seau is still effective, his biggest problem is if he can stay healthy. He has a much better chance of doing this if his role is in spot duty.

Of the Pats writers Curran is near the top of the list of the ones I trust, so I usually greatly consider his word.

I think this signing says more about Monty Beisel than anything else.

GJAJ15 said:

Yes Beisel must be a bit embarresed that weve signed a 37 year old to take his place in the kine up.

But nothing wrong with Seau:)

GJAJ15 said:

Here's what I think of Beisel: He's lacks the passion and sense of reckless abandon needed to play his position. When was the last time we saw him fly to the ball and make a play worth remembering?

Beisel

i'm VERY disappointed about Monty Beisel and probably the Patriots too

I'm still sticking to Tedy coming back for the Miami home game in early Oct.

The Jr. aquisition is great. The right place at the right time-he'll be great support at a position we need help at. I remember ready an article from Junior saying how he coulnd't get outta bed anymore from injuries and pain. He better be ready for more!

I think he can -for a SB ring.

NEM said:
What makes people more concerned about this one was the timing...but lets remember, until three days ago, he wasn't available...He just retired three days ago....
Sure he was available! He was a UFA, and he retired because no good team had offered a contract. That means the Pats didn't decide he would be an upgrade until watching the Atlanta game.

I like the signing. It seems like a good, modest, calculated move. But it wouldn't have happened if the LBs were looking good.

Tunescribe said:
Here's what I think of Beisel: He's lacks the passion and sense of reckless abandon needed to play his position.

and you will never hear anyone say something like this about seau.

I don't see any obvious connection between Seau and Bruschi.

If Tedy were coming back tonight, we would still have had concerns about LB and been looking to upgrade with Seau.

Last edited by a moderator:
This signing has less to do with Bruschi's injury and more to do with the ineptitude of Beisel, and the shakiness of Davis and Gardner. IMHO.

DefenseRules said:
This signing has less to do with Bruschi's injury and more to do with the ineptitude of Beisel, and the shakiness of Davis and Gardner. IMHO.

What he said works for me.

DefenseRules said:

It really amazes me that Beisel was that bad against the Falcons' backups last week. The only play he did anything well on was the one where he almost got the INT, but then he drops the ball. I've been defending Beisel in this board for a while now, but after Friday's performace, I really don't think he's going to make this team.

The correct statement of the "problem issue" at ILB is that the reserve depth was limited. There never was a question about starting quality, as a Bruschi Vrabel pair at ILB would be truly superior, and has been demonstrated to be so, inthe past.

We have had injuries, a ding on Bruschi, a ding on Besiel, and Brown has a ding too, making Vrabel more needded at OLB. Its not a surprise that they signed someone to augment the depth. They still might sign others as well. The Dallas talks are still ongoing.

But please remember this is all about backup depth and and little more...

I'm slowly coming around on this Seau thing. If anything, he's an extra body who has experience. I have low expectations, but he's still better than Beisel.

NEM said:
What makes people more concerned about this one was the timing...but lets remember, until three days ago, he wasn't available...He just retired three days ago....
Why do you say that? The Pats could have signed him BEFORE his "graduation", couldn't they have?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by DefenseRules

Miguel said:
What he said works for me.

I think that would be she, if I'm not mistaken. (The artist formerly known as LPF?:D )

Last edited:
NEM said:
You have moved up to number one on my list of females that have solid fooball knowledge. You have moved past Tyler Faith. You win a NEMMY. :D

Hey, NEM! Patchick has always been one of the most knowledgeable posters on the board. Hadn't you known that -- or hadn't you noticed that she was a "she"?

AzPatsFan said:
The correct statement of the "problem issue" at ILB is that the reserve depth was limited. There never was a question about starting quality, as a Bruschi Vrabel pair at ILB would be truly superior, and has been demonstrated to be so, inthe past.

We have had injuries, a ding on Bruschi, a ding on Besiel, and Brown has a ding too, making Vrabel more needded at OLB. Its not a surprise that they signed someone to augment the depth. They still might sign others as well. The Dallas talks are still ongoing.

But please remember this is all about backup depth and and little more...

The Bruschi/Vrabel pair being superior just means the Colvin/Vrabel pair gets seriously weakened.

This is about more than depth, it's about stones. I believe BB believes/believed the guys he has added to the LB roster over the last 15 months had sufficient talent and/or gas left in the tank to do the job as he envisions it at least competently if not spectacularly. For some reason none of them has stepped up. Something is clearly missing. Tedy is a tone setter, but he cannot set the tone when he is not on the practice or playing field. And he may not be sufficient to set the tone with this motley crew when he returns. Seau is like an attitude adjustment reinforcement ala Bryan Cox. There are some interesting youngsters on the fringes too and they need to see more veteran leadership playing the game with intensity and passion. If Junior only makes a handful of plays but they are key or statement plays he could have a larger impact on this team this season than if he played every down.

MoLewisrocks said:
The Bruschi/Vrabel pair being superior just means the Colvin/Vrabel pair gets seriously weakened.

This is about more than depth, it's about stones. I believe BB believes/believed the guys he has added to the LB roster over the last 15 months had sufficient talent and/or gas left in the tank to do the job as he envisions it at least competently if not spectacularly. For some reason none of them has stepped up. Something is clearly missing. Tedy is a tone setter, but he cannot set the tone when he is not on the practice or playing field. And he may not be sufficient to set the tone with this motley crew when he returns. Seau is like an attitude adjustment reinforcement ala Bryan Cox. There are some interesting youngsters on the fringes too and they need to see more veteran leadership playing the game with intensity and passion. If Junior only makes a handful of plays but they are key or statement plays he could have a larger impact on this team this season than if he played every down.

Absolutely! They want to patch something together at ILB and they will be strong when Tedy returns.

They've patched and spackled the secondary together since Law left and have a pretty good crew

I'm sure they want some low cost depth at LB for the future too.
They'll probably have to get a young talent through draft or free agent to replace Tedy, but they don't want to spend for 2 or 3.

If Seau and Rodney can help dome of these marginal players to grow a pair, they have low cost depth for the future.

A future which includes contracts for, A hot running back$$$
2 #1 picks at DL$$$,
Some draft picks replacing UDFAs at Oline$$$,
a playmaker in the secondary after Rodney$$$,
Receiver(s)?, $$$ and a Mcginest type bull rusher?, (or maybe not Mr. TBC and Mincey).

Stretching the talent and dollars is how the Pats stay ahead of the curve.

Sometimes they fail, (and I have my doubts), but they never get caught with bloated contracts, underperforming stars and useless bench players, like so many teams.

Last edited:
DefenseRules said:

:ditto: I could not agree more this is most def about beisel ineptitude do do his job on this team. thats why he's not with the first team. I beleive he was failing BB's expatiations of him.:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots