PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

FWIW - Borges says Branch has agreement on contract with other team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hnmmm. . . I was wr-wr-wr-wrong. Ron Borges WASN'T the only one who had heard this. And, to further the tension, it's the Jets. HAH!! Great stuff.

I don't know where all this is going to lead, but my Friday has now just filled up with entertainment. On the downside, I'm going to have to tune into that gaggle of afternoon dopes on WEEI to get any news.

I've also just heard the Seahawks are in negotiation for him...
I truly would not care if he is gone...really given his unclass act the past months...ONLY get a 1st rounder and or a player and move on. And make the team PAY through the nose so it discourages others from this route!!!!
It is that simple...and as far as RB goes, he kept saying in the article about losing players..Pats being cheap AND..fails to mention the money they were throwing at Derrick Mason..Gee RB, were you sleeping when that happened? Probably...but if it wasn't for Mason's wife, we wouldn't be talking about a need for a WR...and OBVIOSULY if they went after him only a few months after Branch's SB MVP, they didn't think Branch was up to what they were going to pay Mason. So please no more "cheap" Patriot stories...just not true..They will NOT overpay and that is a good thing!!
The real villain in all of this is the Twig himself who refuses to honor his contract and is acting more like a 2 year old than a man. What a phony he is... everyone thinks of the humble Deion when in fact, he's really a little greedy weasel with little character. Given how this has played out..he's never in a Patriot uni again.

Last edited:
Jacky Roberts said:
No way he goes to the Jets unless Mangini gives up the store to BB.
I have to say, I think you're right about that. Unfortunately.

Brownfan80 said:
Why is it that the closer the season gets, the more depressed I'm starting to feel? This has been a pretty rough offseason, after a pretty rough 2005 season. I'm hoping that this 2006 campaign can liven my spirits right back up.

You've been a New England sports fan for too many years to feel anything different. Do what I did. Kick your Red Sox Jones and you'll feel a lot better!:singing:

If the pats were to get a jets 1st rounder, and didn't want to pay the salary cap demands - they could trade it for multiple lower picks.

If the pats trade branch, I'll be disappointed, but I'll remain faithful that it was it was what they considered to be the right move. I doubt they'll do it cheaply. we'll be compensated nicely I hope.

I also believe they will turn around and shore up the position in a hurry.

remember, precedent is important here. If the pats allow players to just decide they're worth more and hold out and cave to their demands, there will be players lined up behind branch for their turn at this game. they have to stick to their principles.

that said, the pats could also take the offers the other clubs are agreeing to with deion, and say ok, since that's what others teams are willing to pay, and since you work so well with brady, we'll agree to match their offers.

there's just so many ways this could play out. I'd like to see coles and maybe a pick, or a number 1 pick without coles if we gave him up. it doesn't shock me mangini would want him, he knows how clutch he's been.

these situations are so uncomfortable for the fans, watching their teams valued assets dangle in the wind, and hoping their teams don't come away apprecibly less talented. The increased salary cap is what's causing all of this to be possible.

I just cannot imagine any scenario whereby, at the end of this day, we will feel like we lost on this one. Any other outcome would not, in the long run, be good for the NFL.

Trust in BB/SP - they have done nothing but succeed for many years now.

SamBam39 said:
If the pats were to get a jets 1st rounder, and didn't want to pay the salary cap demands - they could trade it for multiple lower picks.

If the pats trade branch, I'll be disappointed, but I'll remain faithful that it was it was what they considered to be the right move. I doubt they'll do it cheaply. we'll be compensated nicely I hope.

I also believe they will turn around and shore up the position in a hurry.

remember, precedent is important here. If the pats allow players to just decide they're worth more and hold out and cave to their demands, there will be players lined up behind branch for their turn at this game. they have to stick to their principles.

that said, the pats could also take the offers the other clubs are agreeing to with deion, and say ok, since that's what others teams are willing to pay, and since you work so well with brady, we'll agree to match their offers.

there's just so many ways this could play out. I'd like to see coles and maybe a pick, or a number 1 pick without coles if we gave him up. it doesn't shock me mangini would want him, he knows how clutch he's been.

these situations are so uncomfortable for the fans, watching their teams valued assets dangle in the wind, and hoping their teams don't come away apprecibly less talented. The increased salary cap is what's causing all of this to be possible.
A Top 10 draft pick isn't going to break the Pats' salary cap, this years cap hasn't even been fully consumed yet, I'm sure SP can figure things out with the head start he has - not to mention the DL and OL are pretty well set, as is the QB.

fgssand said:
I just cannot imagine any scenario whereby, at the end of this day, we will feel like we lost on this one. Any other outcome would not, in the long run, be good for the NFL.

I do trust BB/SP.

I also trust that, from what I've seen from many of the posters on this board, the Pats could trade Branch to the Jets for Fireman Ed and a bottle of peppermint schnapps, and the general consensus hereabouts would be that we were the clear winners.

Pat_Nasty said:
I also trust that, from what I've seen from many of the posters on this board, the Pats could trade Branch to the Jets for Fireman Ed and a bottle of peppermint schnapps, and the general consensus hereabouts would be that we were the clear winners.

Hell, yeah. I'll take the peppermint schnapps.

fgssand said:

Did we feel like we won the battle with Lawyer Milloy when he was released? Unfortunately, that took a while to get redemption.

But I agree, I cannot envision the Patriots coming out with anything less than a "wash" on a trade.

Brownfan80 said:
Why is it that the closer the season gets, the more depressed I'm starting to feel? This has been a pretty rough offseason, after a pretty rough 2005 season. I'm hoping that this 2006 campaign can liven my spirits right back up.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I agree. Hope you all had a great winter and thank god regular season fb is back...soon.

This crap is what I don't like about the patriots. I understand them squeezing every penny and getting good value, it's relatively good business. Fine, no problem there. They have however let some people go that had helped them win championships and even worse some people on this board spit venom at them when they do...not my style but if that is your thing, go to it...I guess we'll all see how 2006 plays itself out. I know that I would want Branch on my team, it makes #12 a happier camper when he is out there...

A league source tells us that the reports of a contract offer to Pats receiver Deion Branch are true, and that in fact two teams have ponied up a six-year, $36 million package.

that averages 6 mill per year..we offered more than that..how stupid

Remix 6 said:
Except that, where this is probably at, it probably hinges on whether you look at the Patriots' offer as a 4 or 5 year contract. Same issue that started the whole conflict.

Last edited:
Halifax_Pats_Fan said:
-------------------------------------------------------------

I agree. Hope you all had a great winter and thank god regular season fb is back...soon.

This crap is what I don't like about the patriots. I understand them squeezing every penny and getting good value, it's relatively good business. Fine, no problem there. They have however let some people go that had helped them win championships and even worse some people on this board spit venom at them when they do...not my style but if that is your thing, go to it...I guess we'll all see how 2006 plays itself out. I know that I would want Branch on my team, it makes #12 a happier camper when he is out there...

I disagree with the "squeezing" point. Every single team in the NFL goes into a negotiation with a lower offer than the one they think will ultimately be accepted. This allows both parties to "win" by getting them down/up from their original stance. The only difference is that NE has a certain amount that thay place on the position, and it takes an uber-talent for them to go over that. Will it cause some good, maybe even very good players to leave, yes. But as long as they do a decent job of drafting new blood, they won't be missed that much.

Remix 6 said:

It must have a lot more guaranteed money. The backloaded portions of those deals aren't worth anything.

Remix 6 said:

We didn't offer more. We offered a 5 year extension for $31 mil. that didn't wipe out Branch's remaining year. So, it was essentially a 6 year deal for $32.5 mil.

This is $3.5 mil more over the course of the six years, or about $580,000 more per year.

If this is really the deal Branch has accepted from the Jets, I would certainly hope the Pats offer to match it.

Pat_Nasty said:
We didn't offer more. We offered a 5 year extension for $31 mil. that didn't wipe out Branch's remaining year. So, it was essentially a 6 year deal for $32.5 mil.

This is $3.5 mil more over the course of the six years, or about $580,000 more per year.

If this is really the deal Branch has accepted from the Jets, I would certainly hope the Pats offer to match it.

Depends on the bonus arrangement and guaranteed money portion - that is where the real details of the deal are to be found.

Pat_Nasty said:

I would rather have McCareins and the pick. The guy had 43 catches last season for the Jets. I think he would be more than capable of catching 60-70 balls from Brady and we would get an early second round pick possibly the first overall. Think about we could end up drafting the 32 and 33. Doesn't sound to bad to me. Unless we package some of the picks to move up for a postition of need.

Last edited:
Why is the Pats FO so concerned with not paying him this year if there is so much cap room? If that is indeed a big part of the stalemate. Considering this years cap doesn't affect the FA's we need to sign next year. Is there a cirmcumstance where that cap space could dwindle otherwise?

McCareins numbers vs Branch's
Rec YDS AVG Lng TD's
2005 43 713 16.6 45 2

2005 78 998 12.8 51 5

One had Pennington, Bollinger and whoever else they threw in there. Didn't Vinny comeback last year, I can't remember. And Branch had Brady. You can't even argue the point that the pats had better weapons to spread the ball around because everyone was hurt. We come out golden with him and a second rounder. They need to pull the trigger unless they are getting a better player somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes