PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Funny Moments in Patriot History

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willie grabbing hold of Randall Gay and forcing him to run behind him on that interception (was that in Arizona?)

Larry Whigham celebrating while the other team picks up the ball and retains posession. Although Larry was a pretty good player, I never forgave him for that. He also apologized and I still can't forgive him.

A small moment ... there was a fumble on a punt or kickoff, and I think it was a preseason game in '04 (the Carolina one?), there's the usual ultra-violent scrum for possession of the ball that's going on particularly long. Then I notice Russ Hochstein standing next to the pile with the ball in his hand. And he's looking in the pile, like he's trying to see what the outcome is. Refs are pulling people off, others are trying to pile in, still Russ stares at the pile. Suddenly, Tedy Bruschi sees Russ with the ball and yells out to a ref and points to him. Russ looks around for a second, looks down at the ball, and quickly holds it up triumphantly, like he never even realized the significance of that oblong object in his hands. The pile sort of gradually got the word it was fighting over nothing.

The funny thing to me is that no one on the field seemed to see any humor in it at all. Sometimes football is just too intense for the players to find any humor in it, I guess ... but neither did anyone else, announcers, no one. Sometimes the seriousness with which people take football makes me laugh.

can we call also a 'funny moment' the name we had for a very limited time (Bay State Patriots ?)

or better call it terrible ?

Last edited:
There was a game recently where the Patriots opponent was punting and the field partially concealed by snow. The Pats return man let the ball sail over his head because it was coming down to close to the endzone.... the guy covering the punt for the other team let the ball roll INTO the endzone before touching it.... he just sat there, kneeling over the ball as it slowly rolled into the endzone. I think it may have been in the playoff game vs oakland, but I am not sure.

A couple of odd plays (not sure they qualify as funny) was Patten passed out on the sideline with the ball touching his leg after he fumbled it and the refs calling it out of bounds ... never seen anything like that before. 2nd one was a pass by Brady what was batted away by a defender back towards the LOS and troy brown catching it in stride for a big gain. That was just cool.

Seeing Jeff Fisher on the sidelines with icycles hanging from his mustache was another funny moment. That was one seriously cold game!

A funny story from the book "Patriots Reign" was the story of Belichick and some assistants at the hotel before one of the giants SB games watching film down in one of the meeting rooms and an exec telling them that they needed to get everything picked up before Parcels came down and saw the mess they had made.... BB replied "He won't come down here, this is where the WORK gets done."

I don't remember the who they played against, maybe the seahags, and I forget who caught the ball, but when Brady tossed the ball while sitting on his ***** for a first down completion.

IndyPatriotsfan said:
I don't remember the who they played against, maybe the seahags, and I forget who caught the ball, but when Brady tossed the ball while sitting on his ***** for a first down completion.

Home game vs. Cincinnati in 2004. IIRC, David Givens caught the pass.

not bad also the 'water ballet' (1963)

after it...: Chargers 51 - Pats 10...

Coast2CoastPatsFan said:
Home game vs. Cincinnati in 2004. IIRC, David Givens caught the pass.

I figured out that it was actually Patrick Pass who caught the pass. Amazing play by Brady!

Coast2CoastPatsFan said:
I figured out that it was actually Patrick Pass who caught the pass. Amazing play by Brady!
BB was pissed at that play and Brady apologized afterwards for the silly chance he took. But I agree, it was funny.

1971 : Pats-Colts...we should have lost (as per Bell 'desire'...) but...we won
21-17...

Last edited by a moderator:
Irving Fryar's Sunday Afternoon Drive

Hearing Santonio Holmes latest transgression reminded me of another funny moment in Patriot history. An injured Irving Fryar leaves a home game at halftime. While the second half was being played, Fryar wrecks his sportscar.

Not surprisingly, speed was one of the main reasons Fryar was a first pick in the NFL draft!

Last edited:
Patjew said:
BB was pissed at that play and Brady apologized afterwards for the silly chance he took. But I agree, it was funny.

But didn't he repeat it with the Monday night debacle in Miami and get intercepted? Now that wasn't funny.

RayClay said:
Pats line up for the field goal as Troy takes his time getting off the field. NOT!

Adam hits him for the TD!

Do I remember that right?

Right on. I was just about to list my fave funny moment as the look on Martz' face (CBS camera closeup) when that happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back