PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Full Seven Round Mock Draft at YDKF: Mercilus, Still, T Johnson, Z Brown, C Hayward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your link doesn't work...at least not for me. And this should go in the draft forum.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

Rd 1 (27) – Whitney Mercilus – DE/OLB – Illinois At this point in the offseason, the Patriots are without Mark Anderson and Andre Carter, who were responsible for 20 of the team’s 32 sacks. Last year, Mercilus showed a knack for getting to the QB and led the NCAA in sacks. With New England still deciding between running a 3-4 and a 4-3, the Illinois star should be able to help the Patriots get to the QB. If Mercilus lives up to his potential, Bill Belichick could be getting the top pass rusher in this year’s draft.

Rd 1 (31) – Devon Still – DE/DT – Penn State As mentioned in the other Patriots’ pick, versatility is a major plus when it comes to the front seven for New England. Devon Still can play inside in a 4-3 or as a DE in the 3-4. Last year, the Patriots brought in aging veterans Albert Haynesworth and Shaun Ellis to try to fix their troubles in the trenches. It is time for New England to bring in some younger players to fill the gaps up front, not more 30 year olds like Jonathan Fanene. Devon Still will fill in holes and help the Patriots’ pass rush early on his career.

Rd 2 (48) – Trumaine Johnson – CB/S – Montana Everyone who watched the Patriots last year knows that they need help defending against the pass. New England desperately needs a ball hawk they can pair with Patrick Chung on their back line. Although Johnson played CB at Montana, he projects much better as a safety in the NFL. With 14 picks at Montana with QBs trying to avoid him, Johnson should look forward to playing centerfield in the NFL and becoming a playmaker.

Rd 2 (62) – Zach Brown – OLB – North Carolina Falling this far in the draft, Brown looks to be one of the bigger steals in the draft. Brown is an athletic freak who could blossom in the NFL under Bill Belichick. Like many Tar Heels, the linebacker is a pretty raw product, but New England should find a way to use him in their system. His athleticism will not go to waste.

Rd 3 (93) – Casey Hayward – CB – Vanderbilt Hayward is an underrated prospect coming out of Vanderbilt. Although he is just 5’11, Hayward has the ability to play much bigger than that, as he exhibited against SC’s Alshon Jeffrey. It will take more than one player to fix New England’s 31st ranked pass defense. With both Johnson and Hayward, teams will have a much harder time passing against the Pats.

Rd 4 (126) – Tommy Streeter – WR – Miami Finally the Patriots make a selection on the offensive ball. Despite currently having double digit receivers on their roster, Streeter’s potential is too much to pass up. Streeter has the speed/height combination that you cannot teach. In addition to Brandon Lloyd, Streeter will help New England stretch the field like they couldn’t last year. Like Brown, if he plays to his potential he will be scary.
I like it to be honest the only thing I'd change would be with our Round 3 pick, Markelle Martin (S) and AJ Jenkins (WR) are both available... I'd probably one of those guys

I tell you what, I'd take that draft all day and all night, even though there is a WR at the end. Streeter is a very intriguing WR with his height and speed.

As long as they take a talented D-Lineman, Pass Rusher and CB/Safety in the first two rounds I'll be happy. I'm not rooting for any individual players.

barf.gif
barf.gif
barf.gif
barf.gif
barf.gif
barf.gif
barf.gif
barf.gif

No offense, but that's pretty close to my NIGHTMARE Draft!!
jester.gif

barf.gif
barf.gif
barf.gif
barf.gif
barf.gif
barf.gif
barf.gif
barf.gif

No offense, but that's pretty close to my NIGHTMARE Draft!!
jester.gif
I just have to ask Grid. WHY? It hits all the holes we'd like to hit. A DE/DT,at the top. 2 of the better pass rush prospects available, 2 DB's that vastly increase the talent level of our secondary, and even an interesting WR prospect that I personally think is a wasted pick, given our WR situation this year.

So I have to guess its the players not the positions. I'd be interested to know why you don't like these particular players, AND who you would have picked instead (based on the way that mock
came out)

BTW- I hate it when you are wishy-washy about your opinion of something. ;)

Last edited:
While I like the positions in round 1 I don't like either of those particular players. Give me give me McClellin at 27 and Worthy at 31 (both who were available) and I feel much, much better. The rest I like. 2nd round gives us 2 nice gambles w/ a chance to hit a HR with either pick.

There's a lot of high upside, very low floor players in that draft. I like Mercilus but he is a one year wonder. Trumaine Johnson is a small school guy with possibly lots of character issues, Zach Brown is the least Patriot like player in the draft and Tommy Streeter is as raw as they come. The only pick I really like is Casey Hayward although I could get behind Devon Still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back