Welcome to PatsFans.com

Full Salary for Cobbs on the PS

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by jct, Aug 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jct

jct Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Felger I believe said in the past that Gorin was paid his full salary even on the practice squad.
    He stated that Evans is a better blocker, better special teamer and better big back.
    So one of the options is to pay cobbs full salary to stay on the practice squad.
    I like the sound of this if it keeps his talent in NE to continue developing.
    If BB decides that Evans offers more now then at least we keep him here and growing.
    Feedback...?
    (I think Pass goes to Pup, possibly Hill and Jones also)
  2. zippo59

zippo59 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

How does the salaries of the practice squad players affect the cap? Is there a separate pooloe for these players?
  3. SNL

SNL Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

As soon as Cobbs is cut another team will sign him. He will probably be on someone's starting roster. I don't think BB will risk it....
  4. Pat the Pats Fan

Pat the Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

#50 Jersey

Doesn't a player have to be released / cut before he can go on the practice squad? If that is the case, I don't see Cobbs on our practice squad, someone will pick him up. He has had a very impressive camp.
  5. Jimke

Jimke Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

Patrick Cobbs definitely would be picked up by another team if he

is cut, probably the Jets.

If he is retained on the roster, I can see him being the #2 or #3 back

next year. Cory Dillon is beginning to fade and may very well not be on

the team next year. I don't think the Pats will pay him an enormous

salary to be the #2 back.
  6. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

I think some of you guys are overreacting here to a player who's had some nice plays against guys who will be working construction at this time next week.

Virtually EVERY team in the NFL has an unheralded rookie tearing things up. Ernest Graham in Tampa last I heard was the leading rusher in the pre-season. I think Cobbs is safe. If another team signs him, who cares? Last year the Colts suffered several injuries and signed Chapman off our PS. Yet we didn't collapse. Eckel was taken in that shady move by Saban. And we still managed to field a competitive team.

We have our back of the future in Maroney. We don't need to keep Cobbs. And next year, there will be another Chapman, Eckel, or Cobbs who tears it up against third and fourth stringers who we all gnash our teeth and weep over the possibility of someone signing him off our practice squad.
  7. Lamanai

Lamanai Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ummm, err...yeah...what he said !
  8. flutie2phelan

flutie2phelan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I've learned to pay attention when Uncle Heatster speaks.
    But this is one time i'll dare to differ.

The rookie RB or WR camp phenom is true. Then, "I'll be home soon, Ma, they're starting to throw curveballs."
    Cobbs, though, not only has been running against future construction helpers ...
    but that's who have been blocking for him too.

His dazzle is so bright
    that it would pay to keep him here,
    rather than chase him off like we did Cedric C. and Kory C.
    After all, Kevin Faulk won't go on forever.
  9. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Let it be known, however, that I'm not opposed to paying Cobbs more than the usual PS salary. I just don't subscribe to the "we have to keep this guy on the 53, because if we don't, someone else will grab him". Let's keep the 53 who will help the team most this year. If it's Cobbs, great. If it's not, I'll take my chances on some other team poaching him rather than tie up a spot on the roster that would rather go to someone who can contribute to a Super Bowl in 2006.
  10. Lloyd_Christmas

Lloyd_Christmas I can delete my own crap! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

I'm not going to argue that we should be shouting "The sky is falling" over the possibility that if we attempt to put Cobbs on the PS, that someone might sign him.

However, I think it is reasonable to assume that someone will sign him before he clears waivers to go to the PS.

Therefore, the real question we need to answer is who is the better back... Evans or Cobbs? For me, I would keep Cobbs over Evans.

I hope BB throws him in there for a few plays in the beginning of the next preseason game to see if he can have the kind of success he has had thus far against first team talent.
  11. braveht

braveht Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Reiss also mentioned paying him full salary on PS as a third option. Other than the very small (to team)impact on CAP what's the difference? Would he not play on PS at that base salary?
  12. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +530 / 20 / -14

we go through this every year. Almost ZERO rookie players have ever been signed by another team after final cutdown before getting to the practice squad.
    All the other teams will cut down to 53 as well. If they want Cobbs,they must cut a player who made their 53, who has spent their entire camp and preseason with them, and who knows the system, in order to sign a guy they know absolutely nothing about.
    For those reasons it almost never happens. Why would you set yuor team back by cutting a guy ready to play and bringing in a guy who has to start all over in your system, when that guy was just cut by another team?
    NFL teams simply do not operate under the principle that there is such a wide difference between the worst guy we kept and the best guy someone else cut that it makes up for those issues.
    There will certainly be competition for Cobbs for a practice squad spot---we have no rights to him for the ps, anyone can sign him to the ps. He certainly would be a guy teams look at to sign off of our ps (or who evers he ends up on) as an injury replacement, but there is very little chance that he will be picked up by another team in the day or 2 between cutdown and ps signings.

I think it was last year, when someone questioned this and we actually researched and found something like 1 or 2 rookies in 5 years that were cut at final cutdown and signed by another team before the opener.
  13. PatsFan37

PatsFan37 Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

#37 Jersey

OTOH, the non-rookie cuts get signed. There's a much better chance that another team will sign Hank Poteat (disparage him at your peril) than some camp-highlight rookie.

With all the rookies getting dumped, there are also experienced vets with serious NFL playing time that are falling into the same pool. If another team is going to blow a roster spot on a discard, it'll more likely be an experienced discard who can fit in quickly.
  14. Displaced - Fan

Displaced - Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't agree with this 100%. It is mostly true, but there are always a few teams with needs greater than what they already have on the roster. For example the Pats have need at WR. If a particular Vet was let go, N.E may pick him up and drop a player to PS. It seems every year N.E.picks up some Vet just before the start of the season.

Now granted Cobbs is not a Vet, but the Broncos love grabbing other teams PS RB's. The Jets have some major health issue's at RB. I'm not saying they will grab Cobbs, but there is a chance it will happen. The kid has show some nice skill not only in the preseason games, but also in practice with the starters.
  15. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

That was me, two years ago. Maybe three. Time flies. I forget which player we were discussing (and I think he ended up making the 53), but you're right about the numbers. It just doesn't happen.
  16. old 55

old 55 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -2

#87 Jersey

what about eckels?

Correct me if I'm wrong about this, but last year didn't Eckels get signed directly from our cuts to the Fins who did make a roster spot for one day and then Military Reserved him?

I still think this was a mistake in the final cuts and that he could have helped with the Dillon, Faulk and Pass injuries last season.
  17. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 1 / -0

while I agree that the pats can better afford to let a RB go this year - Corey healthy, MARONEY here - I'd disagree with this. Putting Chapman on the ps was a dumb move - I said so at the time - and our running game was AWFUL last year. We needed Chapman and he was gone.

I think Cobbs is our Faulk of the future and we need to find a spot for him, in place of or in addition to Heath Evans.
  18. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Re: what about eckels?

Yeah. That was a scumbag move by Saban, because Belichick and the Navy reportedly had a deal worked out where Eckel would be stationed in Connecticut and made available for some practices. Saban signs him and basically stashes him long term, ending all football for Mr. Eckel for a few years.

As far as it being a mistake, as smart as Belichick is, he can't predict the future and foresee three RBs getting hurt. I thought Chapman was the better player myself.
  19. jaychamp

jaychamp Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I like Cobbs, but if the Pats were serious about him making the roster, why has he never played with the 1st team? I've seen Evans play with the first, who is his competition to make the roster, but never Cobbs.

I'm pretty convinced now that he won't make the roster and is PS bound. I do hope they sign him though because he does appear to be a Faulk replacement who's getting up there in age
  20. Oswlek

Oswlek Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Re: what about eckels?

It wasn't a cut and sign, Miami put in a waiver claim. It was one of the all-time shadiest moves in football. It was pretty well-known that Eckel had to make the team or he would need to put in his time with the Navy (four years I think). I don't know it the practice squad would have counted towards "making the team," but Saban didn't want to even give that a chance. He put in a waiver claim knowing that the guy would not be able to go down to Miami, and subsequently put him on some sort of "reserve" list that deals with that situation. Since he was on the reserve list, he was Miami's property and may still even be today.

Basically, Saban crushed this guys hopes of ever making the NFL because he wanted to weaken NE's practice squad.

Edited to add that it was the Patriots, and the Patriots only that Eckel could make, due to their close proximity to the Rhode Island (I think) base he was due to report to. I don't think I made that clear before.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.