Welcome to PatsFans.com

Fukushima Update (May 2012)

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, May 22, 2012.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Triple Meltdown @ Fukushima Daiichi & the Unit 4 SFP (Arnie Gundersen on WDEV) - YouTube

One more medium quake....and I think its over for most of us.

I've read reports about liquification of nuclear materials inside....and that even machines can't operate near reactor 2.

Physicist: Unit 2 completely liquified, 100% liquification of uranium core — “We’ve never seen this before in the history of nuclear power” (VIDEO)

“We’ve never seen this before in the history of nuclear power” - Michio Kaku

Strangely this isn't being reported in the news. Its tough to get any straight answers from a zone that nobody seems to be able to operate near.
  2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +611 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

You post this but mocked my thread regarding the topic ... what's up with that?
  3. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I read a story last week that insisted that within the month, they'll by completely out of technicians able to work at the site, as the vast majority have reached their radiation limit. OK, then what?

Also that kids were being forced to eat contaminated produce in order to maintain confidence in the regional produce market.

Good thing some people are "not worried about the Fukushima nuclear disaster." Afterall, this kind of acknowledgment of uncomfortable reality is "bad for the markets."

I stand by what I said 14 months ago: It's all but game over for the nuclear industry.
  4. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Only after the Last Tree has been cut down,
    Only after the Last River has been poisoned,
    Only after the Last Fish has been caught,
    Only then will you find that Money Cannot be Eaten.
    – a Cree Native American Prophecy
  5. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +380 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

How so? America may run home to oil and coal, but Europe is still on the nuclear wagon.
  6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +130 / 7 / -13

I went to the full presentation by Kaku, both links are well worth the time.

The amount of lying by the government and TEPCO is stunning.
  7. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Are they building any new reactors? Maybe Finland?

How's Germany doing with their nuclear industry? You realize they only are built for 40-50-year time frames, yes?

From Wiki:

Sounds like healthy support. :rolleyes:
    Last edited: May 22, 2012
  8. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +380 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

There are 18 under construction right now.

Nuclear power plants in Europe

Britain is planning to add reactors, though the cost is troubling people.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/23/world/europe/british-energy-plan-would-add-nuclear-plants.html

Lithuania will be adding a nuclear plant.

Hitachi showed more commitment to Visaginas N-Plant project | The Lithuania Tribune

Anyway, I personally have an aversion to knee-jerk reactions. Germany wants to shut down their nukes wholesale? Good for them. If we're going to do it, then we better damned well have an actual plan for replacing that energy that doesn't include more reliance on fossil fuels.

Of course, because of the various lobbying in this country against the environmental impact of hydro (however limited) and in favor of fossil fuels, I'll give people one guess where America would turn in a post-nuclear environment.
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

The US has one nuclear plant under construction.. Watts Bar 2.

6 planned reactors

24 proposed reactors

Most of these are planned in the South.. except for another one at Nine Mile on Lake Ontario...

Nuclear Power in the USA
  10. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Cold Fusion....

That is all.
  11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I hope this is possible some day. I'm not well versed on the tech end, but the potential for global transformation, if it's worked out, is mind-boggling. I like thinking about it, but fear for the safety of those who achieve it. Imagine the interests who will be permanently put out of business (and will not want to be). Fossil fuel corps, military, (and anyone else who thrives off of the misery of others)- even the traditional concepts of geopolitics and national identity will be difficult to defend. On the plus side: world peace, food and water for everyone, cheap processed materials, clean air/ water/ soil, unlimited travel and interaction with other parts of the world...

Of course there's the unintended consequences which, by definition, we haven't considered...

It's nice to dream sometimes. Does anyone know of any books with the "future transformed" theme out there?
  12. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +291 / 4 / -9

13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +362 / 1 / -9

Your right, I have the same suspicions with "Cancer" I have at times been called "nuts" but Cancer and all the side things related to it is "BIG BUSINESS" nobody seems to want to talk about it.
    The "Cure" would immediately put them all Out Of Business, it happened with Polio, maybe they are saying "we won't do that again" not nice to think this way but I believe nobody in big business can be trusted and Cancer is just as big if not bigger than "Oil"
  14. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Me too Wista. It would require one of those paradigm shifts that we big dumb animals don't deal well with.

It's tough to take steps forward as a species when the power brokers cling to a fuel source and technology that saw its advent 100 or so years ago.

I do have some faith though. For all the things I personally view the younger generations (mine - I am a tweener X/Millennial, and the ones after me) negatively for, being afraid to try new things and "change" aren't common place. We have had technology for most of our lives. As the older gens move on down the road of life, and we take on more and more of a role in the world, I have hope that thinking outside the box the "machine" wants us to will lead us to even greater things.

D
  15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

16. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Pointing to a few examples and ignoring the larger trend doesn't really dispute my over-arching premise. Nuclear is not the future, and Europe and the Far East knows it.

In a related note, Europe just moved to ban fracking today. Damned liberal scientists and their science!
  17. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +611 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

If we could harness all the hot air spewed when talking politics ... we could _______________ :p:p:p
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
  18. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Keep doing your part...

Anyhoo, someone just PM'd me to inform that you used to be someone else here. Now that is some irony.
  19. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +346 / 6 / -8

You guys just aren't up on the fourth generation nuclear plant designs, everything will be fine...

[​IMG]
  20. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +611 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

I was ... used to be FootBallNut ... the Ian changed my name for me but never banned like you :rofl:

Darryl had his changed at the same time ... for $500 guess his old name. :confused2:
    Last edited: May 23, 2012