PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

FTW's 2013 Binky....

FreeTedWilliams

RIP NEM
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Alex Ogletree, LB/S Georgia

This kid is an absolute freak of an athlete! I envision moving him back to saftey! He has the size, toughness and speed you look for in a safty and would be unstoppable on the saftey blitz!!

Alexander Ogletree, ILB, Georgia, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

01/01/2013 - PLAYERS TO WATCH: LB Alec Ogletree has posted a team-high 98 tackles for Georgia in just nine games. Ogletree, who sat out Georgia's first four games for violation of team rules, also had 8.5 tackles for loss, two sacks and an interception. He scored his first career TD in the SEC title game against Alabama, returning a blocked field-goal attempt 55 yards. - The Sports Xchange

Georgia moved him to inside linebacker but he plays everywhere. The Georgia players say he is the best player on their defense, which is something considering that his teammate will most likely be the first or second pick in the draft!!

He is only a Jr. but announced yesterday that he will enter the draft! Look for him to shoot up into the first round once he hits the combine. Hopefully he will still be available at pick #32!
Binky status complete

This kid is an absolute freak of an athlete! I envision moving him back to saftey! He has the size, toughness and speed you look for in a safty and would be unstoppable on the saftey blitz!!

01/01/2013 - PLAYERS TO WATCH: LB Alec Ogletree has posted a team-high 98 tackles for Georgia in just nine games. Ogletree, who sat out Georgia's first four games for violation of team rules, also had 8.5 tackles for loss, two sacks and an interception. He scored his first career TD in the SEC title game against Alabama, returning a blocked field-goal attempt 55 yards. - The Sports Xchange

Georgia moved him to inside linebacker but he plays everywhere. The Georgia players say he is the best player on their defense, which is something considering that his teammate will most likely be the first or second pick in the draft!!

He is only a Jr. but announced yesterday that he will enter the draft! Look for him to shoot up into the first round once he hits the combine. Hopefully he will still be available at pick #32!
Binky status complete

Glad to have you on board the Ogletree Express but there's already a fairly long queue. Pretty much everything you say about him is right though.

Binky status complete

Nice binky Ted. I'd keep him at olb and move Hightower to Ninko's spot. Improves your speed and athleticism at two perimeter positions. Donta would do a much better job of setting the edge than Ninko. When you go nickel, slide Donta to DT and Ninko/Francis at LDE. Donta can rush the passer or drop back into coverage. Nickel back replaces Spikes. Ogletree can cover back or te. We have a defense that would have a chance against the spread.

Nice binky Ted. I'd keep him at olb and move Hightower to Ninko's spot. Improves your speed and athleticism at two perimeter positions. Donta would do a much better job of setting the edge than Ninko. When you go nickel, slide Donta to DT and Ninko/Francis at LDE. Donta can rush the passer or drop back into coverage. Nickel back replaces Spikes. Ogletree can cover back or te. We have a defense that would have a chance against the spread.

As Manx says, join the crowd. See my latest mock, and the Blueprint thread.

I'd do all of the above. I'd play Ogletree at OLB and put Hightower on the line. I'd play Hightower and Spikes inside with Mayo and Ogletree outside. I'd play amoeboid packages, and move Ogletree up as a rusher. I'd drop Ogletree back as a safety. He can be moved all over the field. He has the athleticism of a Brian Urlacher. Though I have us moving back and taking him at 50 in my mock, I wouldn't complain at all taking him at 32. He's on a short list of guys who I consider clear 1st round values along with Jonathan Cooper, Ziggy Ansah, Johnathan Hankins, Jesse Williams, and possibly Sam Montgomery (I'd use him differently than he's used at LSU).

As Manx says, join the crowd. See my latest mock, and the Blueprint thread.

I'd do all of the above. I'd play Ogletree at OLB and put Hightower on the line. I'd play Hightower and Spikes inside with Mayo and Ogletree outside. I'd play amoeboid packages, and move Ogletree up as a rusher. I'd drop Ogletree back as a safety. He can be moved all over the field. He has the athleticism of a Brian Urlacher. Though I have us moving back and taking him at 50 in my mock, I wouldn't complain at all taking him at 32. He's on a short list of guys who I consider clear 1st round values along with Jonathan Cooper, Ziggy Ansah, Johnathan Hankins, Jesse Williams, and possibly Sam Montgomery (I'd use him differently than he's used at LSU).

We can still have something close to your mock if we get a 2nd for Mallett. Use that pick on Wheaton. Might even be able to get that 5th you want by dealing back a couple of picks and taking Wheaton after dealing down. Trade 62 for a third and 4. Get Amerson and Winters there. Use 94 on Carradine.

As an aside, I suggested this to OTG a few weeks ago with respect to using Dion Jordan (who should at least also get some consideration for that list of 1st round values, along with Sheldon Richardson) and Dont'a Hightower together (I called it "Diont'a HighJordan"); it applies fairly well to Ogletree and Hightower as well:

mayoclinic said:
Here's a thought: use Dion Jordan and Dont'a Hightower in combination as a LDE/SAM.

They have very complementary skills and physical attributes. Hightower is all power, a great edge setter, very smart and savvy with nice diagnostic ability. He's not bad in coverage, and a good pass rusher, but he's more power than explosion and he's too big to be really quick and fluid. Jordan is incredibly smooth and fluid for his size, with great length, and very explosive. He's a combination of an edge rusher and a coverage player, but not an edge setter.

Use them together, and you have the best of both worlds. You can put Hightower on the line to set the edge and bull rush and drop Jordan into coverage or have him shadow the TE, or blitz out of the LB spot. Or you can move Jordan up on the line to pass rush on 3rd down, with Hightower standing up. And you can mix it up to confuse the opposing offense, without having to change personnel.

Jordan's versatility should allow him to be used in mutliple ways: as a pass rusher in sub packages, coverage LB, 3-4 OLB, big nickel safety, slot CB, etc. He would give a lot of schematic versatility. Put either Jordan or Hightower on the line in a 4-3 and you could easily stand either up and convert to a 3-4, with Love playing NT and Wilfork shifting out to DE opposite Jones. Tons of options.

Not saying I'd do it, but again, it's something that has to be considered. And I do think that combining Jordan with Hightower augments the versatility that each offers. They could be synergistic with one another.

Just a thought.

Ogletree isn't identical to Jordan, but he offers a lot of versatility as well. Hightower's full versatility has yet to be tapped. He's just an infant in terms of his development. Combine him with someone like Dion Jordan or Alec Ogletree with comparable versatility, and you multiply the possibilities to move guys around without changing personnel. Move Hightower up on the line, move him inside, drop Ogletree back into coverage, move him inside, move him up on the line. Tons of possibilities to mix and match based on the offensive personnel and formation, to vary things at the last minute, and to disguise schemes and coverages.

Last edited:
^Excellent post Mayo.

Love the versatility that would give our front 7. 3-4, BIG 4-3, FAST 4-3, amoeboid formation having only big Vince with his hand in the dirt.

Like you say though, not sure if its in our best interests to spend our first on a LB and I'm also not sure that Ogletree will be there in the mid-second. And i doubt anyone will be looking for trading their 2014 1st for the 50th pick and a sweetener.

Last edited:

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back