PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

FS vs. SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is this kids stats and pluses? Haven't heard much on him.
DW Toys
Rodney-sized LB for Wisconsin. His profile at NFL Draft Scout says he can cover RB/TE like a Safety, but gets swallowed by OL - which describes most Safeties. He missed most of the season with an ACL or somesuch, hopefully he can show us something at the Combine.

i really like if we can sign Sean Jones, hes good for 5 ints a year.
In the draft I like William Moore if he slips to the second and I like patrick Chung if he slips to the third

Safeties for New England are preferably adept at both coverage and run support. Size is nice if one is going to be doing more run support than the other, but tackling ability and good read/react skills are more critical.

If we consider BB's history in drafting Safeties, and look at this draft's crop, we'll see that a Rodney Harrison-sized Safety is hard to find. Focus on the type of player first, with less fixation on size, and we might just find the players who fit best.

BB's Safety picks:
2004 Round 3 - SS Guss Scott, 5103 204
2004 Round 4 - FS Dexter Reid, 5107 203
2005 Round 4 - SS James Sanders, 5106 214
2007 Round 1 - FS Brandon Meriweather, 5105 195

2009 Safety prospects most often mentioned:
FS/SS/CB/KR Louis Delmas, 5112 197
SS/KR Patrick Chung, 5111 207
FS/SS/OLB William Moore, 6001 223
CB/FS/SS Sean Smith, 6026 210

Currently, I'm leaning toward Chung, primarily due to his off-the-charts intangibles. Projected for round 2-3.

If we consider BB's history in drafting Safeties, and look at this draft's crop, we'll see that a Rodney Harrison-sized Safety is hard to find. Focus on the type of player first, with less fixation on size, and we might just find the players who fit best.

BB's Safety picks:

Currently, I'm leaning toward Chung, primarily due to his off-the-charts intangibles. Projected for round 2-3.

Lets hope it gets better. Merriweather is the only one that has been decent. The others just JAGS. I like Delmas and maybe he is another Bob Sanders. He hits hard but can he cover? We need more size. I disagree with the fact he chooses small guys on purpose.
DW Toys

BB's Safety picks:

Your forgot Rashad Johnson S Alabama. 5'11 195 lbs.
His recent arrest worries me though. What the heck was he thinking?
Rashad Johnson arrested | TideSports.com | The Tuscaloosa News | Tuscaloosa, AL

If you're talking just size, Moore has the best size but his Senior Bowl showing worries me. After him, Eugene Chung and Sean Smith look to have the best sizes for a safety prospect to complement Meriweather. We need someone with a little more sand in their pants that can deliver some hits, be our enforce/rodney replacement. I like Sean Smith more for his versatility to also play CB.

Last edited:
Lets hope it gets better. Merriweather is the only one that has been decent. The others just JAGS. I like Delmas and maybe he is another Bob Sanders. He hits hard but can he cover? We need more size. I disagree with the fact he chooses small guys on purpose.
DW Toys

We need to replace Rodney's size and intimidation and Will Moore is that guy. He'll play SS to free up Brandon for his more suited FS role.

BB's Safety picks:

I actually like Michael Hamlin very much....and am quite surprised he doesn't get mentioned much here. I've got him right up there with Chung.

One guys who I think looked very good against the run and decent against the pass at the Senior bowl was Ellis Lankster (CB-West Virginia). His aggressive tackling looked somewhat similar to Bob Sanders. I wonder if he would be a good candidate for switch from cb to ss/fs ?

I think Ellis would be a mid to late round pick due his avergae timed speed and some off field trouble.

From Draftguy.com
- Lankster might have surprised some viewers with his excellent play vs. the run and pass, but we saw signs of it all week in Mobile. He flew in like a heat seeking missile on run plays, and showed terrific fight on his interception - taking the ball away from Brian Robiskie despite giving up a significant height advantage to him.

One guys who I think looked very good against the run and decent against the pass at the Senior bowl was Ellis Lankster (CB-West Virginia). His aggressive tackling looked somewhat similar to Bob Sanders. I wonder if he would be a good candidate for switch from cb to ss/fs ?

I think Ellis would be a mid to late round pick due his avergae timed speed and some off field trouble.

From Draftguy.com
- Lankster might have surprised some viewers with his excellent play vs. the run and pass, but we saw signs of it all week in Mobile. He flew in like a heat seeking missile on run plays, and showed terrific fight on his interception - taking the ball away from Brian Robiskie despite giving up a significant height advantage to him.
For folks looking for a 6'3" 220-ish SS, Lankster's 5'9" 191 is a tad light, but I agree that he's a later-round option who could play some FS if needed. The small late round kid I like is Ryan Mouton out of Hawaii who switched between CB and FS, he's 5'9" (more like 5'8" I'll bet) 180, but with 4.4 speed. He's a little missle too and is also a decent return man. Either would be good kids to bring into camp for competition and storage on the Practice Squad - Mouton could at least emulate guys like Sproles and Leon Washington for practice.

Absolutely -- if Hamlin checks out medically, he's a prime round-2 target for me.

Watch out, though...when I said the same thing about Hamlin not being mentioned here, it practically made Box weep!
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ntribute-immediately-defense.html#post1264130
Not again!
sad-smiley-401.gif

Since we're talking about "undersized" safeties (Mouton, someone suggested Jim Leonhard, etc.)--why doesn't Ventrone take snaps at safety?

Since we're talking about "undersized" safeties (Mouton, someone suggested Jim Leonhard, etc.)--why doesn't Ventrone take snaps at safety?
I think they've decided his upside at Safety isn't that high, but he may be a poor man's Wes Welker before he's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back