Welcome to PatsFans.com

Frontline: Ten Trillion and counting

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

FRONTLINE: ten trillion and counting | PBS

anyone else watch this last night? It was fricking great!

I found it to be an amazing look at the entitlement elephant in the room. How social security, medicare and medicaid mixed with perscription drugs will become 100% of our budget by 2050.

I knew the problem, just not the scope.
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Paul O'Neill Secretary of the Treasury, 2001-02

Did you walk into the Oval Office at any point, you and the president, and say, "Mr. President, I've got to put it on the line: For the country and for the administration, this is a terrible idea"?

I just kept talking about the facts, you know. I didn't ever go in and say, "Hey, this is awful; I'm not going to be part of this." But I said over and over again what I just said to you about the reasons why we shouldn't do this.

To him?

Absolutely to him, multiple times.

What was the president's response?

You know, he didn't really respond.

Nothing?

No.

He had to say a word or two.

No, absolutely not. That was my experience the whole time I was there. I said lots of provocative things to him, and I never really got a response. ...

How about the vice president? Did you talk to the vice president about this?

I did. Well, he told me, as [Ron] Suskind famously reported in the book he did about me, [The Price of Loyalty], the vice president said to me, maybe in November 2002, "Ronald Reagan proved budget deficits don't matter."

He said that to you?

Absolutely. Sat right next to me in the Roosevelt Room. I'll never forget because I was so stunned that anybody could believe that Ronald Reagan proved that budget deficits don't matter.

What did you say in reply?

I was stunned. I didn't say anything. I just sat there in disbelief that a person I thought I really knew well, having worked with him since 1969, believed this idea strong enough to say it in a room full of people. ...
  3. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +21 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I'm going to leave the worrying to you youngins. By 2050 i'd be pushing 100 so i'm not going to worry about. ;)
  4. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

The scope is crazy. In fact it's so crazy that it doesn't even seem real. That's why I think that stories like this don't resonate. But no president has really addressed it. Someone, someday, is going to have to.
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

This is why some of us ripped Bush and the pubbies for the drug entitlement. This is why some of us ripped the dems for the demagoguery when Bush and the pubbies tried to reform social security.

Now imagine the disaster when Obama and the dems (with the help of a few Senate Rinos, the idiot Senators from Maine and Specter, pass nationalized. The Ship will hit the rocks well before 2050, when they pass the next entitlement disaster.

Although I am in my 50's I have kids in their 20's and a grandchild on the way and worry about whether there will be an America left for them.
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +313 / 4 / -2

Holy, welcome to the party pal. I've been saying that the current path of gubmit is unsustainable, for some years now. At some point, the credit card is going to run dry, and when it does, you better make sure you got a weapon when that music stops. Wait till they rubber stamp illegals, and they can openly freeload off the welfare system. Can you say goodbye USA? This country needed to radically change, and unfortunately, we're radically changing for the worst. The gubmit, on top of it's incredible entitlement burden, has just added trillions, and trillions, in debt. Nice.

Not to mention the cost of Iraq mixed in between.
  7. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I never knew there was a 'secret' room where people did all the selling of our debt- creepy:eek: Also it was a good reminder of W. economics and I agree with the commentator-the economy's SO politicized over the years-more to do with politics than actual economics.

Now we're piling on trillions in debt,printing money, and we haven't even started on the biggest elephant of all yet- healthcare.

I've been singing Bye Bye Miss American Pie for awhile now:( ; one of these days there'll be no more takers for those guys in huddled in that undisclosed room.
  8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

agreed,

LOTS to see and hear in this video. I was glued to the set last night. This is a must see, people.
  9. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

once again...

PBS: Frontline... the best journalism work in the industry...

Some people in utter denial want to pretend they "lie"