Welcome to PatsFans.com

From the Wonderful Folks Who Brought You Iraq

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Well I got through the first few paragraphs, but then he said that the administration claimed that Iraq posed a grave and imminent threat. OF course the administration never said that. So much for the authors credibility.
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Are you on CRACK?...this is too easy...

"The Iraqi regime is a threat to any American. They not only have weapons of mass destruction, they used weapons of mass destruction...That's why I say Iraq is a threat, a real threat."
    - President Bush, 1/3/03

"Saddam Hussein is a threat to America."
    - President Bush, 11/3/02

"I would look you in the eye and I would say, go back before September 11 and ask yourself this question: Was the attack that took place on September 11 an imminent threat the month before or two months before or three months before or six months before? When did the attack on September 11 become an imminent threat? Now, transport yourself forward a year, two years or a week or a month...So the question is, when is it such an immediate threat that you must do something?"
    - Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, 11/14/02

"I see a significant threat to the security of the United States in Iraq."
    - President Bush, 11/1/02

"There is real threat, in my judgment, a real and dangerous threat to American in Iraq in the form of Saddam Hussein."
    - President Bush, 10/28/02

Iraq was "the most dangerous threat of our time."
    - White House spokesman Scott McClellan, 7/17/03

"The Iraqi regime is a threat of unique urgency."
    - President Bush, 10/2/02

"There's a grave threat in Iraq. There just is."
    - President Bush, 10/2/02

"This man poses a much graver threat than anybody could have possibly imagined."
    - President Bush, 9/26/02

"There are many dangers in the world, the threat from Iraq stands alone because it gathers the most serious dangers of our age in one place. Iraq could decide on any given day to provide a biological or chemical weapon to a terrorist group or individual terrorists."
    - President Bush, 10/7/02

"The Iraqi regime is a serious and growing threat to peace."
    - President Bush, 10/16/02

it goes on and on...where have you been?
  4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

this guy just throws things up against the wall and hopes they stick... he's arguably the most full of sh!t Con man poster i've ever encountered... it's no surprise he stopped reading after two paragraphs that didn't jibe with his agenda...

OF COURSE the White House played Saddam to be an imminent threat... over and over and over and over again... it was the entire basis for rushing the resolution vote before the 2002 midterm elections...

I believe Chuck Hagel said it best:

"The (White House) used the pressures of the election to get this thing done before the election. The intensity, the manipulation, the tone of the speeches, the urgency. They were maximizing the sense Americans had that we could be attacked TOMORROW. There was no question that this was being manipulated."

You think many House or Senate members wanted to risk re-election hopes by sticking their neck out against the White House agenda? A lot more were against the resolution than actually voted against it, and that is shameful on all of them who voted for it, but were against it.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Patsfan13,

I suggest reading it. even if you view it as a work of fiction. Perspective is important in forming an opinion.
  6. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

if he responds at all, he's not going to revisit his latest moronic assertion here... he'll be on to some other declaration in the hopes that his previous failure evaporates from everyone's consciousness...
  7. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

I didn't see the word imminent in reference to Iraq in any of the quotes. I saw grave threat, which indicates intention but not an active capability.

I also saw that they referenced Saddam providing weapons to terrorist. In the indictment of Osama in 1998 by the Clinton administration they states that Saddam was working with Saddam to develop chemical weapons in Sudan. Given that history Bush commenting that Saddam would be a threat to provide then to Osama in 2002 would seem to be very prudent.

People like to ignore it, but since the US government was on record in saying that Saddam had provided chem weapon know to Osama (in the 1998 indictment) for Bush to ignore that would have been criminal negligence.

2 things:

1) Saddam had 9 months between when Bush brought up the UN acting on Saddam's violations of the cease fire and UN resolutions after the first Gulf war and when we invaded. It is certainly possibly (though not provable) that WMD agants were sent to his Baathist brothers in Syria (which Iraqi generals claim happened). There was a dam break in Syria that summer and numerous military convoys & air transports went from Iraq to Syria that summer.

2) Saddam had the expertise to help Al Queda make chem and bio agents. So even if Saddam had disposed of his WMD (and if he did why not come clean to the UN to avoid being overthrown? )he could still have his people help Osama make them. Reputedly that was one of the reasons Zarqwai had a camp in Northern Iraq.
  8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Are you just messing with me?

you are....
  9. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Saddam was working with Saddam? Oh... cool...

anyhow, the US government has been on record saying a lot of things before raping Iraq... hardly any of it has been true...

patsfan, you appear to be stuck in 2002... unfortunately, the past 5 years have obliterated each and every one of your talking points... join us here in 2007, come to the light...

there was no Al Qaeda camp in Northern Iraq, or anywhere in Iraq... yeah, and ummm, the reason Saddam didn't "come clean" with weapons inspectors is beyond obvious to anyone with a working brain... it was about keeping his arch enemy -- Iran -- guessing and at bay...
  10. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Words mean things, look up imminent and grave in the dictonary.

national Security isn't a game of partisaan gotcha.

BTW was Clinton lying when he indicted Osama and said Saddam was trying to help him get a Chem/bio capability?

If you answer yes then you have some credibility claiming Bush lied.
  11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

You ARE serious?.....oh man, I thought you knew. Everything you have been eating up to now is not caviar.....it came from a bull's behind.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200512130004

check it OUT!...
  12. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

yes... words mean things... perhaps you'll now tell us the difference between "imminent" and "immediate"... i'm sure it's vast...

In testimony before the House Armed Services Committee on September 18 of '02, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld suggested that Iraq may be an imminent threat and described its biological weapons with a similar term, "immediate threat":

He then added:

at what point does your corner throw in the towel for you? you're taking such a beating, it's hard to recognize your face at this point...

further, if they didn't portray the threat as "imminent", when THEN did Bush INSIST on the House voting on the resolution inside of two weeks, just under the wire before the '02 midterm elections? any theories on that one, Mr. Denial?
  13. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

"'Absolutely.' White House spokesman Ari Fleischer answering whether Iraq was an "imminent threat, 5/7/03"

"'This is about imminent threat.' White House spokesman Scott McClellan, 2/10/03"

"'Well, of course he is.' White House Communications Director Dan Bartlett, responding to the question 'is Saddam an imminent threat to U.S. interests, either in that part of the world or to Americans right here at home?' 1/26/03"
  14. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Who cares what media matters says, read the indictment.

from the indictment:

Apparently Media matters is full of it. Big surprise there.

http://www.fas.org/irp/news/1998/11/98110602_nlt.html
  15. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

so clearly, when your hair-splitting bunk has been shoveled away once again, you have nothing to respond with...

they DID refer to it as "imminent", and plenty... anyhow, now that the latest bit of distortion has been cleared up, we can go back on topic...
  16. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Please provide a reference the only ones talking about imminent were shrill leftist. None of the quotes presented said they were an imminent threat.

Just cause you say it doesn't make it so. Also The Clinton admin made the claim that OBL was working with Iraq to get WMD, my simple question (which no one has answered).

WAS THE CLINTON ADMIN LYING ABOUT OBL AND IRAQ??????