Welcome to PatsFans.com

From the UK..The botched US raid that led to the hostage crisis

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Apr 3, 2007.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +241 / 8 / -26

From the UK, Independent... there is usually more to any of these situations than meet the eye... FYI Drudge is also reporting it, so it has veracity...

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/article2414760.ece

A failed American attempt to abduct two senior Iranian security officers on an official visit to northern Iraq was the starting pistol for a crisis that 10 weeks later led to Iranians seizing 15 British sailors and Marines.

Early on the morning of 11 January, helicopter-born US forces launched a surprise raid on a long-established Iranian liaison office in the city of Arbil in Iraqi Kurdistan. They captured five relatively junior Iranian officials whom the US accuses of being intelligence agents and still holds.

In reality the US attack had a far more ambitious objective, The Independent has learned. The aim of the raid, launched without informing the Kurdish authorities, was to seize two men at the very heart of the Iranian security establishment.

Better understanding of the seriousness of the US action in Arbil - and the angry Iranian response to it - should have led Downing Street and the Ministry of Defence to realise that Iran was likely to retaliate against American or British forces such as highly vulnerable Navy search parties in the Gulf. The two senior Iranian officers the US sought to capture were Mohammed Jafari, the powerful deputy head of the Iranian National Security Council, and General Minojahar Frouzanda, the chief of intelligence of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, according to Kurdish officials.

The two men were in Kurdistan on an official visit during which they met the Iraqi President, Jalal Talabani, and later saw Massoud Barzani, the President of the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG), at his mountain headquarters overlooking Arbil.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +384 / 5 / -2

This is classic blame america. Those Iranians were involved in the murdering insurgency aimed at undermining the Iraqi government. They were correctly apprehended. How does that justify the Iranians going and kidnapping 15 Brits in international waters? If the Iranians were so incensed at the US, then why didn't they kidnap US sailors? Classic blame america.

(I'm jokingly venting here) The sooner they nuke the ME the better. Either nuke it, or invest $500 Billion in Hydrogen fuel cells and flash the ME the finger. :D
  3. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Um, also FYI, all Drudge is doing is what he always does and that is linking to the very article you've quoted here... so it isn't like there are two "independent sources" reporting the same story.
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +241 / 8 / -26

Yea I know..
  5. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Classic idiot neocon post. The trademark sign is ending posts with 'the sooner they nuke the Middle East the better'. Tough guy talk that means nothing and reflects more simplistic thinking based on stupid catch phrases like 'blame america', 'flip flopper', and 'cut and run'.

If you read the article, the capture of those Iranian leaders is parallel to if a foreign country captured the head of our CIA, or one of our ambassadors. It's not a stretch to say that this pissed off the Iranians, and led to the UK incident a few weeks later.
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +384 / 5 / -2

Look who's trying to call someone an idiot. Still sticking to your Iranian waters, it was George Bush bit?

I guess you can't read can you? I specifically prefaced my statement by writing (I'm jokingly venting here) and by adding a :D at the end, because of people like you. I guess I should use caps and colored font next time eh? :rolleyes:

So if the CIA was in Iran and got captured......then you'd have a parallel. :rolleyes:

The next time you add something of substance to the forum it will be the first. ;)
  7. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

It's going to be hilarious to look at Real World and Quigon's posts when we do end up in Iran. Barring any surprises like major unpopularity among the American public, or a peace settlement, it is pretty much inevitable. We are simply waiting for the additional aircraft carrier, which is on its way right now, to get into position (remember, we waited until we had 4 carriers before we took Iraq).
  8. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Actually, your crappy example is not even close. It would be like the head of our CIA visiting a neighboring country of ours like Canada, and then being kidnapped by an invading, occupying power (say Russia, if they invaded into Canada and occupied it).
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2007