PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

From the Far East: Hi Everyone! Glad to be Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaipeiPatriot

Rookie
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Ni hao. I thought I'd introduce myself and share my enthusiasm for joining this discussion website.

I've read this website for a few years, and am part of a growing Chinese fanbase over here. I've actually been a long-time fan of the Patriots, probably because of the red, white, and blue, freedom/democracy overtones, and started following the team around the time of Eugene Chung (sincere apologies on behalf of my people!) and Drew Bledsoe. I know it's not as long as many of you here have been fans, but I'm trying!

I hope more Chinese can become fans of American football. Many people avidly follow basketball (Yao Ming) and baseball (Chien-Ming Wang), but football is becoming more well known. I think the NFL is very interesting, and much more fast, exciting, and strategic than basketball or baseball.

Anyway, I have been VERY pleased with the recent Patriots teams by Bill Belichick. In my opinion, he is a very smart strategist, like the NFL's Sun Tzu. It will be Great when the Patriots come to visit Asia.

It's quite interesting, Belichick has read The Art of War and applies some of its central ideas to the football field. One of the poster's on this board has a quote from Belichick regarding his ideas about the two.

Welcome!

Welcome TaipeiPatriot

TaipeiPatriot said:
I think the NFL is very interesting, and much more fast, exciting, and strategic than...baseball.

I whole heartedly agree. But, you can't tell a baseball fan that. They'll just say you don't understand the game. :rolleyes:

Michael said:
Welcome TaipeiPatriot

I whole heartedly agree. But, you can't tell a baseball fan that. They'll just say you don't understand the game. :rolleyes:

lol, I'm a fan of both (obviously) but football is much more exciting and there is much more strategy involved.

TaipeiPatriot said:
...and started following the team around the time of Eugene Chung (sincere apologies on behalf of my people!)
:D That was good for a chuckle! Welcome to the board.

shmessy said:
Ni hao, TaipeiPat!

Did you know that Patriots.com has a Chinese version? Chinese.Patriots.com.

Here's a link to a story in the Taipei Times that discusses it:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/sport/archives/2004/09/26/2003204491

......although you probably know all about it by now!

Of course! I think it's a great website.

It is interesting that the news article also compares football to strategic warfare. I agree. There are many ways to defend territory, and it is very much like war, and allowing for different strategies.

Welcome. Hey, maybe you and I can tailgate when the Patriots play the Seahawks in China next August.

Tunescribe said:
Welcome. Hey, maybe you and I can tailgate when the Patriots play the Seahawks in China next August.

(Hey Tunie, I just hope TaipeiPatriot knows what the term "tailgate" means - - you may have caused an international incident!)

welcome aboard, taipei! Guess you'll be going to the game next year, I guess?

Tunescribe said:

That would be great, Ha.

Also, I would like Chinese to start an American-style football league here, with CHEERLEADING teams. One can hope.

Are you mainland Chinese or Taiwanese? My wife was born and raised in Taiwan and only came to USA after college.

Her Chinese name is Wren Hsin-yueh but I call her Christine. She became an American citizen after we got married.

She told me that Chinese people usually think that in football the 'most crazy' team wins. But I'm sure your understanding of football is much better than that! How long have you followed the Pats? Did you gain interest in them in 2001 by watching the Superbowl, or have you watched football even longer?

I am from Taiwan (aka unofficial 'Republic of China').

Yes, there are a lot of Taiwanese immigrants in the United States, usually for graduate school or engineering work.

Most think it is a savage game, but I think more and more are appreciating the strategy of the game.

Welcome, TaiPeiPatriot.

Now we have fans in Taiwan, Malaysia, Australia, Italy, Spain, Denmark, Germany, the UK, Ireland, Belize, Canada ... oh, and the odd one in the U.S. Keep 'em coming!

Last edited:
Welcojme aboard, this is a good source of Patriot foorball information. There is also a chat room during the games.

Do you get games on television or webcast?

patsfan13 said:
Welcojme aboard, this is a good source of Patriot foorball information. There is also a chat room during the games.

Do you get games on television or webcast?

Sometimes you can watch online tv through internet websites.

benvenuto TaipeiPatriot

wellcome on board also from Italy

Hey Taipei! Welcome to the Board! I'm writing in from Manila, Philippines. I know there is another person here who's handle states he's from Malaysia so we've got a good group (okay, at least 3 people) from our part of the world. If the Pats really come to China for a preseason game, then I'll try to fly in and see them in action.

Here in the Philippines, we're pretty lucky because we get the 1pm and 4pm sunday games (not always the Pats unfortunately) and Espn Asia shows the sunday night and monday night games. Don't you guys in Taiwan get the games on espn asia too?

Last edited:
Hi! Yes, we do have ESPN Taiwan. We can watch Sportscenter, and other shows including some NFL. But to follow the Patriots I find it easier to go online. Taiwan programming is more NBA, and MLB, than NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes