PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

From PFT: Wow these guys don't give up [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: From PFT: Wow these guys don't give up

I'm still waiting for you guys to tell me which FACT of Tomase's is wrong. Ho hum...

Re: Moss and PFT...............wtf?????

Ahhhhhh, the blind squirrel approach to reporting.

Swell............. :rolleyes:

It would also seem dumb to not cut him and be forced to cut a young comer like Bam, who'll likely had a good enough TC to merit a few looks from other club. Why toss one player, in hopes you might get another "Player TBNL" in a draft next year, in which we already have a ton of picks. :confused:

Last edited:

They're a rumor site, they know they're a rumor site, so I don't understand why everyone wants to attack them by comparing them to real media. They got some credit because of the Vick issue, but they're basically the National Enquirer of football news. And if you read the site everyday (as I do) you'll realize they know it too. Heck, they even pimp their advertising deals with Sprint and Rotoworld.

Seriously people: Stop bashing them like they're a real news outlet.

Based on WHAT? You guys still haven't explained what FACT Tomase got wrong yesterday, except the Cimini thing. As far as Moss, he got the report EXACTLY right.

They cut Moss?

I'm still waiting for you guys to tell me which FACT of Tomase's is wrong. Ho hum...
It's tough to be wrong when you always wrap yourself around a "source".

I guess I could say "a source told me that 2+2=5" and I wouldn't be wrong :rolleyes:

Rumors, rumors, rumors
Posted by John Tomase at 7:01 pm

It’s 7 p.m. and the Patriots still haven’t released their list of cuts. However, a rumor gaining momentum over the last three days is that they’re planning to drop Randy Moss, which would be a shocker to end all shockers. However, we must stress that in conversations with other league executives we’ve been unable to confirm this as anything more than hearsay.

A league source with knowledge of the Patriots’ moves said there’s a surprise on the cut list, but declined to elaborate. That could mean Moss. It could mean Reche Caldwell. Right now no one knows.

The Moss stuff began percolating on Thursday and really gained steam when Pro Football Talk included it in its rumor mill this morning. The theory seems to be the that the Pats aren’t sure he’ll embrace a role as a decoy. Reached today by colleague Karen Guregian, Moss’s agent, Tim DiPiero, said he hadn’t heard anything and that he was planning to be in the Meadowlands for Sunday’s opener, presumably to watch his client.

Maybe it’s nothing. Maybe Moss will be in uniform a week from tomorrow. We’ll keep you posted.

Okay, everyone - have a look. Which of Tomase's FACTS are inaccurate here?

Once again......

Where is there any proof ANYWHERE, that these rumors have existed for the past 3 days. You're telling me that in this day and age .......someone....somewhere had not released the story of these rumors until yesterday.

I find that COMPLETELY hard to believe.

To think this is some kind of media conspiracy and either Michael Felger, Mike Florio, or John Tomase created this rumor for their own biases towards Moss or need to be right is crazy though.QUOTE]

You can't be that naive?

In Felger's case, there is a bias, either actual or manufactured for ratings purposes.

For Florio, how many hits did his site get because of these rumors.

For Tomase, I hate to pick on the fellow, but there's a need to stay relevant in a very competitive Boston sports meia market. He tends to jump the gun a little to often.

Felger gets nothing out of this. The rumor was leaked to the public on Saturday morning. Cuts were Saturday night. Story is basically over unless Moss actually gets traded, but people aren't going to take the rumor seriously enough now to pay much attention. If it was reported last week, then Felger could have had Florio on and gotten some ratings for it. Besides, Florio used to be on Dale and Holley. Felger isn't the only media guy Florio is close to. If Moss plays the whole year without incident or even catches a big TD pass on the 9th, who is going to remember this rumor? What does Felger have to gain by this rumor?

Florio won't give up the story. What does he have to gain if he is making it up? Beating a dead horse on a rumor you made up yourself is only going to ruin your own credibility. Florio constantly reporting this rumor if he made it up himself won't convince Belichick that maybe he should cut or trade Moss. Florio loses if Moss ends up on the September 9th roster and by sticking to the story, he loses more.

Tomase is a little quick to jump on stories, but he sat on this for two days and waited until he got a legitimate source to say there was a surprise cut before he even mentioned it.

It’s 7 p.m. and the Patriots still haven’t released their list of cuts.

TRUE. Feel free to check the record, the time-stamp, whatever you want. Undeniable.

However, a rumor gaining momentum over the last three days is that they’re planning to drop Randy Moss...

TRUE. This rumor has been around, we've read it, we've heard it.

which would be a shocker to end all shockers.

TRUE - and hey, look, a QUALIFIER. Good for Tomase for setting this rumor in its proper context.

However, we must stress that in conversations with other league executives we’ve been unable to confirm this as anything more than hearsay.

Unknowable on our end, but sounds plausible and has the added benefit of being another example of keeping the rumor in perspective.

A league source with knowledge of the Patriots’ moves said there’s a surprise on the cut list, but declined to elaborate.

Tomase is reporting that the LEAGUE SOURCE (with knowledge of the Patriots' move) says there's a "surprise," and makes it clear that the source would not elaborate. Seems like incredibly responsible reporting to me. This is where some of you are getting tripped up. Somehow, Tomase reporting a FACT - that the league source said it - means, to you, that Tomase is reporting that there is, IN FACT, a surprise cut. He's not. And anyone with a half a brain and a 6th grade education can see that - unless they're being willfully obstinate and leaning hard on their own agenda.

That could mean Moss. It could mean Reche Caldwell. Right now no one knows.

Again with the context, perspective. Very fair-minded, no?

The Moss stuff began percolating on Thursday and really gained steam when Pro Football Talk included it in its rumor mill this morning.
TRUE. Do you dispute this?

The theory seems to be the that the Pats aren’t sure he’ll embrace a role as a decoy. Reached today by colleague Karen Guregian, Moss’s agent, Tim DiPiero, said he hadn’t heard anything and that he was planning to be in the Meadowlands for Sunday’s opener, presumably to watch his client.

Anyone have a problem with this reportage?

Maybe it’s nothing. Maybe Moss will be in uniform a week from tomorrow. We’ll keep you posted.

Aaaaand there you have it. Perspective again. Context again. Now tell me, fellas - what the F exactly do you object to here?

There's a whole nuther thread about this buddy... a whole 2 posts down

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=59597

Yeah, I read that one....... BUT This is about a THIRD article (showed up this AM). It's not the same one that thread references, which was the point of this thread. This third article is starting to get obsessive.

Once: A rumor (okay, can see it).

Twice: denying that they were totally wrong on rumor 1 (silly)

Third: a separate article dedicated to the same topic (demented and obsessive).

Once again......

Where is there any proof ANYWHERE, that these rumors have existed for the past 3 days. You're telling me that in this day and age .......someone....somewhere had not released the story of these rumors until yesterday.

I find that COMPLETELY hard to believe.

If you can't see it, either you can't read or you refuse to accept that Tomase said the rumor has been gaining momentum since Thursday. I think that is proof enough. How do you prove a rumor existed before it is reported?

They cut Moss?

No. TRY READING. Tomase didn't report Moss was going to get cut. He reported that there were rumors of a surprise cut and that SOME, not Tomase himself, were speculating that it could be Moss.

ARE YOU PEOPLE SERIOUSLY THIS SHORT-SIGHTED?

Last edited:

They're a rumor site, they know they're a rumor site, so I don't understand why everyone wants to attack them by comparing them to real media. They got some credit because of the Vick issue, but they're basically the National Enquirer of football news. And if you read the site everyday (as I do) you'll realize they know it too. Heck, they even pimp their advertising deals with Sprint and Rotoworld.

I'll be honest with you.

Yesterday was a VERY overwhelming news/rumor day for Pat's fans.

The last thing we needed (me included)was more bad news.

First we took it out on Cimini and rightfully so.

Then on PFT, unrightfully, because you're right....they are a rumor mill...

Then on Tomase......who is not supposed to be a rumor mill......but is beginning to act like one.

Honestly, what this has all come down to is that you guys literally don't understand English or journalism. Really, it's amazing.

I actually thought they were "real" but regardless, why does anyone get upset at the idea that they might release him? I am a huge fan of Randy Moss and really want to see him play for the Pats, but I'm a bigger fan of Bill Belichick, and if he wants to cut Randy Moss for whatever reason, I'm all for it.

Did we stop rooting for the Patriots when they cut Josh Miller?

You know what's fun? Skimming the front page of the site to see if people are already onto their 9th or 10th page of a discussion you're about to start.

Could it be that the Pats will try to shop Moss to someone like the Packers or the Vikings before cutting him?
Yes. If we're not going to use him we should at least get our fourth round pick back. Moss can play with Brett Favre for a year and hit the open market.

I wouldn't bat an eye if Randy Moss failed to make on the 2007 New England Patriots. If Belichick and Pioli think it isn't going to work out they should get rid of him. Repeat: We do not need Randy Moss. New England has put together a 17-2 season before with less talent than we have now.

These rumors don't mean anything in the big picture. If the brain trust wants Moss gone, he should go. If they want him playing next Sunday, he'll be on the field against the Jets.

Not at all. I have said over and over again that I don't know if this rumor is true or not. I just don't think it is some media conspiracy. Rumors about players are out there all the time. Some come true and some don't. To think this is some kind of media conspiracy and either Michael Felger, Mike Florio, or John Tomase created this rumor for their own biases towards Moss or need to be right is crazy though.

I think Moss will more likely than not be on the September 9th roster, but I do believe that these rumors came from someone outside the media. I don't think the media gains anything no matter their biases by this rumor and if this rumor doesn't come true, it only hurts PFT's credibility. Why would Florio want to hurt his credibility by manufacturing a rumor and then continue to run with it after roster cuts?

Let me start by noting that, in posting this, I'm not saying that PFT is wrong about this particular rumor. My biggest beef with PST over the weekend was that completely nonsensical assertion about Simms and his future with the Buccaneers. Now, about your post.

Again, you're rationalizing. However, the answer to your question is "It could be one of many reasons". Ask the editors of The New Republic why they've covered for information proven false, or the New York Times, or various other newspapers around the world, or the companies/people that still insist that Bush was using a plastic turkey in Iraq when it was proven that it was, in fact a real turkey. People defend falsehoods for various reasons.

If you can't see it, either you can't read or you refuse to accept that Tomase said the rumor has been gaining momentum since Thursday. I think that is proof enough. How do you prove a rumor existed before it is reported?

Tomase had a very bad week, to put it kindly. Using him as a "proof" right now is not a good idea, imo.

Last edited:

THAT IS the problem!

I don't believe there were any such rumors until PFT posted/created them and Tomase picked up on them and added them to his blog with embellishment.

I don't believe any rumors from any sources anywhere existed until they were fabricated on Saturday and picked up by some "credible" writers who are suspect in my opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye