PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

From ESPN: Redskins Warn Meriweather to Lower Target

NormZauchin

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Evidently, new Redskins coach Jay Gruden is concerned about ex-Patriot safety Brandon Meriweather adding to his $135,000 in career fines once the season starts. "He understands the next one is going to be a longer suspension," Gruden said. "We talked about that. I told him he is going to get a two-practice suspension if he doesn't lower his target."

Nice that the Patriots don't have to put up with that stuff anymore, at least until they see him at the joint practices in August.

Meriweather is so hilarious to watch, but I am glad he's not a Patriot.

His rip on Brandon Marshall had me laughing my ass off.

Big Bang Clock. Amazing. He really seems like a nice guy.. just missing something. I guess that's the best way to put it.

Last edited:
Is a two practice suspension supposed to be a punishment? I don't know about the rest of you, but I HATED practice. I knew it was necessary, it just sucked. To me, a two practice suspension would probably be a reward for knocking the opposing TE's mouthpiece clear out of his helmet.

Is a two practice suspension supposed to be a punishment? I don't know about the rest of you, but I HATED practice. I knew it was necessary, it just sucked. To me, a two practice suspension would probably be a reward for knocking the opposing TE's mouthpiece clear out of his helmet.

To me the salient point is that he is actually hitting Redskin receivers in the head in practice. Talk about a DUMBASS.

To me the salient point is that he is actually hitting Redskin receivers in the head in practice. Talk about a DUMBASS.

If that's happening, then Meriweather, indeed, being a dumbass. Further, if that's happening, then having him sit out practice is no punishment. Threaten to take away games or threaten to cut him altogether after that. Those two will get his attention.

He's their starting safety, and they have no depth at the position. Of course the team is going to try to get him to lower his targeting. They can't afford to have Goodell suspending him for an infraction, real or imagined.

The Redskins lack proven depth at either safety spot. Clark is 34 years old, with whispers of his having lost range, and Meriweather is one bad hit away from being forced to miss games. The team wants him to be aggressive; they need him to play.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...skins-remind-brandon-meriweather-lower-target

Snap your fingers, snap your neck.

If that's happening, then Meriweather, indeed, being a dumbass. Further, if that's happening, then having him sit out practice is no punishment. Threaten to take away games or threaten to cut him altogether after that. Those two will get his attention.

Agree completely, I just think it shows just how big an idiot The Party Starter is that his coach has to threaten him during camp for this kind of crap. I was so happy when the Patriots cut him, he's a complete moron.

Agree completely, I just think it shows just how big an idiot The Party Starter is that his coach has to threaten him during camp for this kind of crap. I was so happy when the Patriots cut him, he's a complete moron.

I would have been happy when the Pats cut him if their back-up plan didn't play to the tune of the second worst pass defense all-time. In other words, they had no back-up plan. Say what you will about Meriweather. He's not the brightest bulb in the box, but the team could have used the services of him and Sanders that season.

I would have been happy when the Pats cut him if their back-up plan didn't play to the tune of the second worst pass defense all-time. In other words, they had no back-up plan. Say what you will about Meriweather. He's not the brightest bulb in the box, but the team could have used the services of him and Sanders that season.

Agree on Sanders but Meriweather was going to do what he wanted regardless of what he was told and had to go imo. I wish they had filled it better but I was still glad to see him go. That said I may have misread the initial post on this and it's likely Gruden was referring to the regular season, I assumed he was talking about now when he was talking practice suspensions, however if he's talking regular season then promising to confiscate his hair gel would be far more of a threat than suspending him what Allen Iverson would say is "practice-we talking about practice?"

Agree on Sanders but Meriweather was going to do what he wanted regardless of what he was told and had to go imo. I wish they had filled it better but I was still glad to see him go. That said I may have misread the initial post on this and it's likely Gruden was referring to the regular season, I assumed he was talking about now when he was talking practice suspensions, however if he's talking regular season then promising to confiscate his hair gel would be far more of a threat than suspending him what Allen Iverson would say is "practice-we talking about practice?"

Meriweather roamed too much, but was still a much better safety than Ihedigbo, Chung, and Moore were. The team really could have used him back there, particularly in the Super Bowl. Be that as it may, you've stated in this post that you wish they could have filled his position better so it's a moot point.

Meriweather has an unfair advantage using his head to spear, because the other players have brains in their heads.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back