PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Friday Night Lights-Biggest game of Cassel's life !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruthSeeker

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I really can't wait for Friday night !!! I can't wait to see what Matt Cassel can do. This may be the biggest game of his life (so far). If he flounders, Belichick goes and gets another veteran backup, if he does very well, the backup job is his.

Other things I'm looking forward to, seeing if Maroney can do some big things. I wanna see him against a tough Atlanta run defense, see how he handles pass catching and blocking. Also, we have a TON of unknown WR's, besides Caldwell & Watson, I want to see what some of these unknown receivers like Keron Henry (big former Connecticut QB & WR), Kelvin Kight, Erik Davis, Berlin, etc. Hopefully Bam Childress shows me something too.

Looking forward to see if RB Patrick Cobbs has anything to offer, also to see if DB Willie Anderson can help the return game, and of course, to see our kickers in action.

Overall I'm very excited, I'm not worried about our first team guys too much, I want to see what the new guys bring to the table. GO PATS !!!!

A Cassel big preseason = outstanding trade bait this offseason.

If they can flip this kid to a top 3 round draft pick in 2007, it would be fantastic.

I hope that Mrs B's observations about Cassell's 'happy feet' and 'hestiation' in the pocket are not seen in Friday's game.

scott99 said:
I really can't wait for Friday night !!! I can't wait to see what Matt Cassel can do. This may be the biggest game of his life (so far). If he flounders, Belichick goes and gets another veteran backup, if he does very well, the backup job is his.

Other things I'm looking forward to, seeing if Maroney can do some big things. I wanna see him against a tough Atlanta run defense, see how he handles pass catching and blocking. Also, we have a TON of unknown WR's, besides Caldwell & Watson, I want to see what some of these unknown receivers like Keron Henry (big former Connecticut QB & WR), Kelvin Kight, Erik Davis, Berlin, etc. Hopefully Bam Childress shows me something too.

Looking forward to see if RB Patrick Cobbs has anything to offer, also to see if DB Willie Anderson can help the return game, and of course, to see our kickers in action.

Overall I'm very excited, I'm not worried about our first team guys too much, I want to see what the new guys bring to the table. GO PATS !!!!

I think Cassel would have to be pretty individually horrid to have the plug pulled on him during the first pre-season game.

No one can do it alone and there's a big difference in playing with the other parts of the whole humming along in game shape and the "shake the cobwebs off" 1st pre season game.

I'd definately welcome a veteran QB on the roster however - at least having someone in camp to practice and get to know the offense a little. I'm a bit surprised that hasn't happened yet, which suggests they have a degree of faith in Cassel.

Jacky Roberts said:
A Cassel big preseason = outstanding trade bait this offseason.

If they can flip this kid to a top 3 round draft pick in 2007, it would be fantastic.

Then spend that day one draft pick on their #1 need...a backup quarterback! ;)

Seriously, if Cassel can be a quality backup for a few years on 7th-round rookie contract money I'd hold on to him, tight.

I HATE preseason games. I will watch holding my breathe and hoping no one gets injured.

I was a little surprised to see that the Pats are +150 on the moneyline for Friday's game. Guess they know that BB is not at all concerned about winning when it doesn't count. Still seems like it might be worthy of a play as I'd give the Pats almost a 45% chance of winning.

patchick said:

Seriously, if Cassel can be a quality backup for a few years on 7th-round rookie contract money I'd hold on to him, tight.

You've done it again, patchick -- said just what I would have wanted to (congrats too on the curse of Romeo observation).

We're not trying to turn picks into picks but get players who can play useful roles. The uncertain hit rate with draft picks (Dexter Reid in round 3, anybody?) and the learning time before a rookie contributes fully means that, if you have a player who plays a significant role on your team, you should hang on to him if you can. This isn't baseball!

Hoodie said:
I HATE preseason games. I will watch holding my breathe and hoping no one gets injured.

I agree, everytime a player is slow to get up or gets dinged a shiver goes up my backbone... cannot wait for the regular season.

Last edited:
patchick said:

I guess I envision Cassel to be like Matt Hasselbeck. Drafted by GB to back up Favre, then he shows in the preseason he can play, teams call GB and send draft picks. If NE can load up on draft picks with a guy who will never play ahead of Brady barring injury, why let him rot on the bench?

Mike the Brit said:
You've done it again, patchick -- said just what I would have wanted to (congrats too on the curse of Romeo observation).

We're not trying to turn picks into picks but get players who can play useful roles. The uncertain hit rate with draft picks (Dexter Reid in round 3, anybody?) and the learning time before a rookie contributes fully means that, if you have a player who plays a significant role on your team, you should hang on to him if you can. This isn't baseball!

I thought Reed was in the fourth. And Scott was in the third of the same draft? Which one of us is confused?

patchick said:

Except for the fact that even if Cassel is dealt, back-up QB is not the number 1 need. It would be something like CB, or LB. You can get better value then your bench warmer and get someone who might actually see the field.

They can fill in the back-up QB with a veteran for veteran min. Or draft another day two prospect. Greenbay has done that for years with Farve back-ups.

During the Sunday night Hall of Fame game, John Madden spent some time talking about the "happy feet" syndrome. He suggested that dancing around back there affected eye vision levels and would usually lead to ugly results.

I'm not sure what the diffeence is between eye vision level for happy feet vs. throwing on the run, which Madden did not have a problem with.

My own experience in college as a FB has taught me that if you are the outlet receiver and a QB with happy feet throws you the ball, you must prepare yourself mentally and physically to be pounded, because those type QBs usually throw the ball late

Ochmed Jones said:
During the Sunday night Hall of Fame game, John Madden spent some time talking about the "happy feet" syndrome. He suggested that dancing around back there affected eye vision levels and would usually lead to ugly results.

I'm not sure what the diffeence is between eye vision level for happy feet vs. throwing on the run, which Madden did not have a problem with.

My own experience in college as a FB has taught me that if you are the outlet receiver and a QB with happy feet throws you the ball, you must prepare yourself mentally and physically to be pounded, because those type QBs usually throw the ball late

I think the difference between throwing on the run (forgetting the eye levels angle) and happy feet is exactly what you've pointed out later in your reply. Happy feet is simply the indecision on what to do. Should the QB run? Should he stay in the pocket? Who does he throw to? At least a QB that's decided to run has made some sort of decision and done it quickly enough that he (or his reciever) isn't getting pounded instantaneously. I think that the QB with happy feet just needs to be told: decide SOMETHING and do it, regardless of what else is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back