Welcome to PatsFans.com

French soldiers had bin Laden in the crosshairs

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Dec 21, 2006.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -26

but the US commander in Afghanistan did not give the order for the kill...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061221/wl_sthasia_afp/afghanistanqaedausattacksfrance

PARIS (AFP) - French soldiers in Afghanistan had Al-Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden in their crosshairs -- twice -- but did not receive the order from their US commander to open fire, a French documentary reported.

The filmed report, by journalists Eric de Lavarene and Emmanuel Razavi, asserts that the French troops had bin Laden in their rifle scopes in 2003 and then again six months later in 2004.

Four French soldiers assigned to a 200-strong special forces unit in Afghanistan under US military control all confirmed -- "at different times and in different places" -- that they could have killed bin Laden but that the order to shoot was not forthcoming, the report claims.

The documentary, entitled "Bin Laden: Failings of a Manhunt" and set to be shown on French cable television channel Planete at an unspecified date, relies on the accounts given by the four soldiers.

"We have the original voice recordings of the soldiers," Razavi told AFP. "But their anonymity has to be guaranteed."

However the French defence ministry said the story was "pure fabrication".
  2. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

gosh, what a surprise.... sounds like Tora Bora in late 2001, when Dumsfeld had the real enemy cornered, and didn't do what the CIA asked of him...

instead, we draw down and rape Iraq instead... get the feeling our administration WANTS usama alive to feed the beast? hmmmmmm
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

Could be true. I've been of the mind that the west doesn't want to kill UBL and make a martyr out of him. However, there is also this part to consider:

However the French defence ministry said the story was "pure fabrication".

"There is absolutely no basis of truth in what is being said," said spokesman Jean-Francois Bureau.

Who knows. I'd say it's certainly possible though. You could see where their would be benefits to both his being alive, and also with his death.
  4. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +745 / 5 / -14

#61 Jersey

It's too obvious that Bin Laden's death or capture would generate public outcry for a radical change in U.S. foreign policy, especially re. Iraq. Bush has never made nabbing Osama a priority.
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +546 / 2 / -9

The guy that refused to give the kill order was probably a liberal democrat.
  6. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

are you like a Colbert? faking your annoying persona as a charicature?

or are you quite serious in your nonsense?
  7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

didn't OUR military have Bin Laden trapped in the mountains of Tora Bora (sp?) and retreat?

something is SO wrong with all of this.
  8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

He is serious....and thats what makes this message board so good, diversity of opinion.
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

Not that I mean to get the facts right, but they didn't retreat. What happened was that a CIA op said he wanted 600 Rangers to close a mountain pass and Rummy said no. Instead they relied on Afghan rebels/warlord, or elements of the Northern Alliance to cover the pass and the presumtion is that UBL, via the aid of one of the warlords, thus escaped. It's certainly a possibility that it went that way, but it's not proven fact. Some dispute whether or not UBL was even there. Furthermore, there is no guarantee that the 600 Rangers would have been able to prevent the presumed escape, since the terrain was less than advantageous. Of course, I'd prefer to have our Rangers there than some paid for mercenaries. It's questions like these that make me wonder if we really wanted him. Remember, there would have been serious repurcusions from his death or capture by western hands. UBL has a very large radical following in Pakistan, a nuclear nation, and maybe the West was weary of what might happen to the Musharef government if those radicals revolted.
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

word!....that was why I put in the question mark.
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

Oh, I know. I just knew how it went down and wanted to explain it. There are lots of questions post 9/11. Lots of questions and lots of interesting angles to the answers. Certianly, some of the possibilities point to my contention that there is sometimes a fine line between leading and lying.
  12. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +546 / 2 / -9

Think about it, it sounds like something Uncle Teddy or Alec Baldwin would do.
  13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +546 / 2 / -9

But of course I'm serious you didn't think I would come on here and post some stupid nonsense did you?
  14. Real World

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

Sure NEM, just like Slick Willy wouldn't let one of those same family members die when the strike team had UBL targeted for a Tomahawk strike.
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

Really, no one?

[​IMG]
  16. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +91 / 7 / -13

#37 Jersey

:confused:
    Just keep thinking that, whatever gets your old ass to sleep at night, I guess.
  17. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

some pretty unassailable questions... unfortunately, no matter how many ways you ask them, they'll never really be acknowledged by war enthusiasts anywhere...

as for the Dems getting heavy with impeachment proceedings, i just don't see it happening... they want to win the White House in 08, and impeachment, while justified, may backfire on them with the American people who don't want the shame or embarrassment...
  18. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +883 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

Was this the day Geraldo was drawing our play action attack in the sand at Tora Bora?
  19. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

so Al Qaeda settles in and gets cozy for Geraldo each night?
  20. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -26

Pix of the twin towers, blaming Clinton is the atypical method of the right.. no discussion of the validity of this story, just keep throwing **** against the wall something will stick or divert us from the issue at hand.