Welcome to PatsFans.com

Freeney's injury looks like Lis Franc

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Cramden, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cramden

Cramden On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Freeney might have suffered Lisfranc injury

The Indianapolis Colts already expect Dwight Freeney not to play for several weeks because of a left foot injury, but now there's reason to believe the Pro Bowl defensive end's season might be over.

Though more tests have to be completed for the team to make a final determination, a source said Tuesday that Freeney might have suffered a Lisfranc injury in Sunday's loss to the San Diego Chargers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3108696&univLogin02=stateChanged

2. DisgruntledTunaFan

DisgruntledTunaFan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Isn't this the same injury Michael Strahan had last year?

I remember he did everything he could to get back on the field after sitting out a month(from early Nov to early Dec), and then somehow made it back in late Dec against the Saints, only to be put on IR in wk17.

3. PatsDeb

PatsDeb PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -1

Ouch. Bad news for him; good news for us. Now maybe he won't be able to turnstile his way through Matt Light in the playoffs.

4. Tucker

Tucker On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

lisfranc??

5. letekro

letekro In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +36 / 14 / -10

He wouldn't be the same factor in Foxboro. Would nice to beat them full strength just to shut everybody up.

6. Gumby

Gumby 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

#11 Jersey

lisfranc is a foot injury named after one of Napoleons generals (marshals ?).

I think the general suffered it when his foot caught in the stirrup in a battle.

I believe it used to be a career ender - because it is some special bone in foot that can't be healed easily. But modern medicine heals all I guess.

we used to have a couple of orthopedic surgeon/ medical students or something on the website who explained it all about 3 years ago. (was that dealing with ty law's injury or someboy else. ummm? I forget.) If they are still around they could explain better than I.

7. DGameguy

DGameguy Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The Lisfranc fracture is an injury to the small bones that make the bump on the top of the middle of your foot. The metatarsals, which extend to begin the toes, are joined with these lisfranc structure. It is a major structural injury to the foot. Think of it as being the difference between having a broken finger, and having the plam of your hand fractured all the way through.

If they elect Not to have surgery on Freeney to repair it, it will take at least six weeks in a cast with absolutely no weight put on his foot. If they do have an operation done, the procedure required that screws and wire be inserted into the foot and again, no weight can be put on the foot. The scres then need to be removed in another procedure once the foot is healed.

Bottomline...if it is lisfranc, I wouldn't expect him back in the regular season, and maybe not the playoffs.

8. Bobs My Uncle

Bobs My Uncle PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 10 / -3

#12 Jersey

With Lisfranc injuries you have two possible situations. One where it's just a sprain and two where it's a fracture or disloaction.

For a sprain you typically are looking at 3-5 weeks.

If it's a fracture or dislocation then time away depends on severity. A less severe fracture or dislocation probably means 6-7 weeks in a cast and then another couple weeks afterwards. A severe fracture or dislocation (probably requiring surgey) and it's IR time.

9. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +231 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

Wasn't it what Ty Law had,his last year here? It put him out for almost a year.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  10. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Yay. Great news.

Don't give a **** if the media whines about full-strength, blah blah. They will always be pro-Colts anti-Pats, whatever. When we're 19-0 though we will be the undisputed best of all-time and that's all that matters. The Colts not being full strength all season will be forgotten.

At this point we might not even see the Colts again, being they're the third seed now and this injury certainly won't help their causes. They’ll have to win two playoff games if they want to see us.

By the way, I haven’t really kept up with Rice since his Tampa days, when he was beast. Has he really declined big time now? How bad is the guy?

11. DisgruntledTunaFan

DisgruntledTunaFan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The Colts will be fine, IMHO-Dungy's system is pretty unique in that when starters go down, his backups come in and do very well. It happened last year when Raeger and Simon went down. And, of course, their shutdown corner didn't play in the Super Bowl.

12. Richter

Richter In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Same injury Ty Law had the year he departed the Patriots. Basically a break in either the first or second metatarsal that results in a dislocation between them. It's a pretty bad foot injury to have.

13. BoltsFan

BoltsFan On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Same injury Rivers had in last seasons playoff game.

14. carolinatony

carolinatony In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Even thought he plays for the Colts i'm sorry to hear about his injury.
    I wish no injury on any player.

15. h0c2000

h0c2000 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Kevin Jones had his last December and he didn't get back on the field until week 4 or so of this year.

16. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Apparently toe "bones" are a lot longer than toes. They take up more than 1/2 the foot. According to this website a Lisfranc injury is when the toe bone is no longer properly connected to the rest of the foot.

17. bradmahn

bradmahn In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

You can make that argument for some of the games this year, but last year is a horrible example to make any claim that Dungy's system is good for replacement players. They had to go out and trade for Booger McFarland, anyway.

Freeney isn't as big of a loss as Schlereth and ESPN want you to believe, but it sucks for the Colts.

18. Richter

Richter In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

For your sake, you should hope it's still affecting him.

19. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +602 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

Not sure I buy that. You can't keep losing your top players and have nothing change. If Freeney were so replaceable they wouldn't have signed him to that monster contract. I hate Polian as much as anyone but the guy isn't an idiot.

20. sebman2112

sebman2112 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The injury occurred to a soldier in Napoleon's army, who got his foot cought in the stirrup while falling off his horse, but the injury is named after the discovering field surgeon Jacques Lisfranc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.