Welcome to PatsFans.com

Freedom Trashed

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, May 5, 2010.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +493 / 2 / -9

2. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

This is not Freedom Trashed...

This is a perfect practice of democracy at work. IF the overwhelmming majority of that town, does not want to have wasteful products coming into their town, then more power to them.

JUST as if the overwhelming majority does not want strip clubs all over the towns, they can pass laws which prohibit that kind of business from city limits.

You should champion these ideals, not demonize it. If you don't like it, run for office in that town and overturn it.
  3. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Agree. Local governments can do these things and their people can decide to vote them out.
  4. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

This issue is a perfect example of why State Rights are so important. The local people should determine how they live. Not the Federal Government.

Local issues, resolved at the local level... Beautiful.
  5. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

The town's citing the fact bottles are in part made from oil therefore must be banned for the sake of the environment. They're telling people water can be obtained from your faucet as opposed to soda etc which cannot.

Interesting that this comes on the heels of that massive water main break during which several surrounding towns were advised to boil any water used for drinking. Naturally store shelves became stripped of any bottled water as people stocked up on it once the news broke.

Nothing like water from the tap:bricks: but here's what's most interesting about it:
    Town Bans Bottled Water Sales - Boston News Story - WCVB Boston
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +493 / 2 / -9

Yes, I suppose your right, they did it in Calif with the Marriage thing, I think they should also do it in Arizona with the Illegal Alien thing.
    These people should ban Oil & Gas in Concord.
  7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +476 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Well there you go, Harry. They're not NAZI's when they decide to ban plastic water bottles at all, are they? Nor are the NAZI's when some town in California decides that there will be no more salt in fast food.

Because if it's WONDERFUL to make state laws that fly in the face of federal civil rights in Arizona then it's also WONDERFUL To make them in Concord, MA., too.
  8. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

How does the AZ law fly in the face of Federal civil rights?
  9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +476 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

10. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

11. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +476 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

That's cool.....I'm glad they're trying to clarify that part of it. From what I've read, though, there's still some ambiguity in the wording and there are still challenges being filed in the court systems in several locations.

It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out in the judicial system - I'm sure it'll hit local courts first and if there are a number of differing decisions handed down there it will eventually make it's way into the federal courts.
  12. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I have a question. When would it be appropriate to ask someone to prove they are here legally? I'm not trying to start an argument.
  13. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The point being raised, and correctly, is that it could cause undue harassment on citizens if the police are issued a directive to actively round up illegal immigrants using suspicion alone rather than other lawful contact.
  14. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah, I think some AZ lawmakers wanted a very aggressive approach but didn't take into account possible misuse, which critics jumped upon quickly (and appropriately). The lawmakers then amended their bill to close the big loopholes they saw. It will be interesting how it plays out as the story first was that they simply wanted to enforce what the federal government had failed to (though with the holes in their law it would have exceeded the federal mandate, which they can't do).
  15. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I agree, but the protests are increasing in magnitude even after the tweak. These protesters either don't know of the change or just think anything is an infringement on civil rights...which is ridiculous. This has become a mob mentality movement on both sides. It doesn't help when local politicians all the way to the president are using this for political advantage at the expense of much needed reform
  16. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We're in agreement on that. It's easier to boycott someone trying to solve a problem than to come up with a solution on your own.
    Last edited: May 6, 2010