Welcome to PatsFans.com

Free web hosting and website from Microsoft Office Live - Pros and Cons? Anyone?

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by JoeSixPat, Mar 1, 2007.

1. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +55 / 2 / -0

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/office_live/FX101754491033.aspx?pid=CL101750181033

I was considering what to do with hosting for a few URLs that are coming due and came across Microsoft Office Live Basic

What it is, near as I can tell is a FREE web URL of your choice - FREE web hosting - FREE web templates to build your web site.

While it sounds a little too good to be true it does fit with Microsoft's MO to freeze out competition to secure a market share - in this case, keeping google from taking on business clients the way they are with individuals through free Google pages.

So my question is, what are the pros and cons.

One of my concerns was whether I would OWN the URL - or whether Microsoft could hold it hostage. Apparently there is a 60 day wait if I want to transfer the URL off the Microsoft Live hosting but that's not a deal breaker for me - i.e. but I guess I woud still have to purchase the URL from microsoft for what hopefully is a fair price.

My other concerns are with whether I HAVE to use a Microsoft Template under the Office Live Basic agreeement - but again not a deal breaker for me.

The "banner" that seems to be used with the free basic service isn't invasive from what I can tell either...

But if anyone can fill me in on other concerns of why NOT to give this a try, please let me know.