Welcome to PatsFans.com

Free Speech????

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by FreeTedWilliams, Oct 14, 2008.

1. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +117 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

An 18 year old girl said this....

"We are all capable of standing firm and expressing our own beliefs, which is why I need to tell you about someone who loves you more than you could ever imagine. He died for you on a cross over 2,000 years ago, yet was resurrected and is living today in heaven. His name is Jesus Christ. If you don't already know him personally I encourage you to find out more about the sacrifice he made for you so that you now have the opportunity to live in eternity with him."

Punishment for graduation speech taken to appeals court

Liberty Counsel contends Corder's First Amendment rights of free speech were violated when school officials "refused to present her with her diploma unless she issued an apology for mentioning Jesus Christ." The group alleges a violation of the 14th Amendment right to equal protection because officials treated religious speech "differently" than nonreligious speech.

Apparenlty because, we can not have any winners or losers in school anymore, she was one of 15 valedictorians (I know, I have no idea how they came up with that) so instead of having one speaker the got 15 30 seconds speeches and this was her's what did the Obamaacts do? They withheld her diploma until SHE APOLIGSED FOR MENTIONING JESUS!!! Think about that, she had to apologise for speaking her mind!!! I bet is she prasied allah, she would have been lauded.
  2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Will I feel for the girl,and think what happened is wrong this isn't the Religious forum FOG BANK. And being ahh er a MOD you should know this
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I'm sure YOU'D be just as upset if she read from the Koran....praised Allah...and looked to Mecca.

Check it....

this country was founded because people didn't want to pay taxes, and DIDN'T EWANT TO BE TOLD WHO TO WORSHIP.

Unless this is a bible school, or a catholic hig etc. She has no place in doing that.
  4. Mogamedogz

Mogamedogz Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

By that age, I have no idea why parents/school admin would give two :rolleyes:'s about something like this. Do they really think her 30 seconds of bible thumping is gonna make one bit of difference to any of these kids. At 17-18, either they believe or not. Just let the girl ramble, give her a diploma, and move her along. No lack of idiocy on either side of this one (imo).
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 9 / -26

In the big scale of things no big deal, but looks like another group of right wing religious fanatics.. who view the constitution as a situational document and raise sporadic hell to meet their narrow agenda.. just what this country needs is another half baked agenda driven organization filing more frivolous lawsuits..

Liberty Counsel

Cannot believe I am responding to that butt hole right wing smear sheet... World Net Daily.. and I thought this was a valid thread.. yuk!!!

Surprised our phantom moderator is even posting something like this.. talk about bias.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  6. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

7. Mogamedogz

Mogamedogz Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

[​IMG] "Knock, Knock, BIOTCH!"
  8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +401 / 5 / -2

Do a quick Google for news, and you'll see that other people reported the story.

Student appeals in lawsuit over graduation speech - Examiner.com

Top Stories: Lewis-Palmer grad appeals ruling on her 'Jesus' speech | school, palmer, district : Gazette.com

Student appeals dismissal of lawsuit over graduation speech | WNCT

Also, the Liberty Counsel is providing the lawyer. My guess is that a HS student isn't going to be able to pony up for one.
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 9 / -26

I am referring to Liberty Counsel..

Free Ted advocates for free speech in a thread and then give me an infraction for confronting him on the source.. another unequal application of the rules again..
  10. Real World

Ratings:
    +401 / 5 / -2

Wow, that's pretty dispicable even by your standards. This must be more of that (in)tolerance I keep hearing about.
  11. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +117 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

NO you got an infraction for your insult in another unrelated thread and you know it. (Nice try though)
  12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

It made me laugh.......because its funny.
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +401 / 5 / -2

To each their own I guess. The picture itself, with Jesus holding a gun, isn't what's insulting. It's the type underneath that says he'll kill you that is. But hey, I'm a racist, Nazi, POS, so what do I know. [​IMG]
  14. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

[​IMG]
  15. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

[​IMG]
  16. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

[​IMG]
  17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I think its the swear that MAKES it funny. Its over the top, but the F-word makes it SO far over. Its like how Norm MacDonald beats a joke into the ground...its funniest when he goes too far.

Wildo7, Nice Lightswitch by the way!
  18. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -13

Every American is aware that our constitution stipulates "Separation of church & state", so why do religious zealots keep trying to hammer a nail that is already set?

If someone at my graduation tried to pull some religious bullsh1t, I would have started a chorus of boo's and drowned her out. I can't believe someone would defend this little girls attempt at carrying out an act that in all likelihood was planned by her devious parents. Parents are typically the offenders in such cases as they USE their children to test the waters of constitutional law.

To all who "want" to remove separation of church and state, I have a message, so hear it loud and clear.

Separation of church and state is here to stay. Try with all your hearts and souls to defeat it, pray all your lives that it goes away...but no matter what you do, "Separation of Church and State" is here to stay!

Praise God!
  19. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

[​IMG]
  20. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Yeah I got a kick out of that too. You don't often see Jesus packing a 9 ready to Blaze.
    • Like Like x 1