PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free Agent ProBowlers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone said the exact same thing about Adalius Thomas.

Actually, they said even more. All we heard about is how he can even PLAY CORNERBACK AND SAFETY OMG OMG !!!

Woodley isn't in his 30s.

If Lamarr Woodley makes it to Free Agency, the second the clock strikes midnight his ass better be on a chartered plane to Foxboro. When he gets there, they shouldn't let him leave until they have a deal in place. He solves that pass rush problem instantly, can play the pass, and with the flexibility they have financially it would be a major let down for him to not suit up for us.

Can pittsburg use the Franchise tag on Woodley? If so, would that require to give up draft picks?

It was more of a euphemism for "they should do whatever it takes" and less of a manual for signing him.

C-mon we know you thought that no one else would think about contacting him right away and trying to get a deal done :rolleyes:

Thats how it struck me

Same here! I also appreciate that, as a cherry on this particular sundae, BB has given me a reason to watch a game I'd otherwise taken to ignoring completely :)

Can pittsburg use the Franchise tag on Woodley? If so, would that require to give up draft picks?

Pittsburgh isn't going to trade woodley to us. Although I was pretty shocked they gave the jets holmes for near nothing.

Pittsburgh isn't going to trade woodley to us. Although I was pretty shocked they gave the jets holmes for near nothing.

He was getting suspended and is a head case. Reason for only a 5th rounder

Woodley isn't coming here.. He doesnt fit our system

any player who is franchised we can have him. We have 2 first rounders so what ever the team tenders that player, we can have him

Ngata is an option- of course very unlikely

In my mind if you get hit with the Franchise Tag you are no longer a free agent. In effect you are an RFA and have a deal in place with your current team. If it comes to that, my interest wanes severely. I don't think he becomes worth giving up two first round picks given our needs.

The most valuable spot to fill on the Pats is on the Defensive line, a pass rushing RDE who can stuff the run. So I'd sign a free agent 3-4 RDE.

I suspect we would like a superior player who would be a fine tutor to the youngsters and is in his early thirties and should be good for a few more years. A fellow by the name of Richard Seymour is available who was franchised and might be too expensive for his present team to keep, and would fit the position pretty well. He was chosen for the ProBowl, too. I think he plays for one of the West Coast teams. The Raiders perhaps?

Last edited:
ngata and bailey would put the pats over the edge.

I think the chances of Ngata not being franchised are zero. Baltimore is going to make him one of the highest-paid defensive players in the NFL with a long-term deal at some point in the near future.

Everyone said the exact same thing about Adalius Thomas.

Actually, they said even more. All we heard about is how he can even PLAY CORNERBACK AND SAFETY OMG OMG !!!

Agreed. I want Woodley myself, but a lot of people here would be disappointed in him due to the fact that they wouldn't be able to understand that his primary duty in this defense wouldn't be to "RUSH RUSH RUSH DA PASSA". He'd have more extended coverage duties and different gap assignments. Still, though, he'd be a very nice addition to the defense.

I think the chances of Ngata not being franchised are zero. Baltimore is going to make him one of the highest-paid defensive players in the NFL with a long-term deal at some point in the near future.

We've gotten Phifer, Vrabel, Colvin, Thomas in FA. How many successful outside linebackers have we gotten in the draft? Zero (and hopefully Cunningham makes that one).

If BB makes a splash this offseason its gotta be Lamarr Woodley. He's in his prime, and would immediately be our best run stopping OLB and our best pass rusher.

Is it cheap? No, but did you see what Peppers did to Chicago? With Woodley and a rookie DE we would go from a middle of the pack at best defense to an elite one.

Agreed. I want Woodley myself, but a lot of people here would be disappointed in him due to the fact that they wouldn't be able to understand that his primary duty in this defense wouldn't be to "RUSH RUSH RUSH DA PASSA". He'd have more extended coverage duties and different gap assignments. Still, though, he'd be a very nice addition to the defense.

Considering more than half of our defensive snaps were in 4-2-5 nickel, his primary duty would technically be to pin his ears back. His base duties would be to play the run though.

If Lamarr Woodley makes it to Free Agency, the second the clock strikes midnight his ass better be on a chartered plane to Foxboro. When he gets there, they shouldn't let him leave until they have a deal in place. He solves that pass rush problem instantly, can play the pass, and with the flexibility they have financially it would be a major let down for him to not suit up for us.

Woodley is awesome. I hope he signs, that would be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots