PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillEM

Banned
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread:

We should go after Jabari Greer in Free agency.

He's a really good CB on Buffalo. I don't think the Bills will be willing to pay him since they already drafted his replacement Leodis McKelvin, and have Terrence McGee on the other side.

Greer is experienced but still young (26).

Greer IMO would be an upgrade. I dont want to draft another CB, as our secondary is already very young and inexperienced. Greer is young but has played in the league for 5 years. Won't demand huge money.

Another thing to look at - 6 out of the Top 11 ranked FA's are on 2 teams.

3 on Baltimore, and 3 on Carolina.

Baltimore - Rey Lewis, Terrel Suggs, Bart Scott - All Linebackers. Will the Ravens be able to keep all 3 of them? IMO the only one worth looking at is Suggs, since we have a young duo of ILBs in Mayo and Guyton. Suggs will demand big money, much like his former teammate Adalius Thomas. Probably too much for NE to even consider.

Carolina - Julius Peppers, Jordan Gross, Chris Gamble - either of the latter two would be a nice addition. Again, with 3 players that will be highly sought after, it's unlikely that Carolina can keep all three. Gamble won't get Asante Samuel type money. He's a player maker. Like Greer, he's young but has good experience.

TJ Housmanzadah
- Teams won't throw him top dollar since he's mainly a #2 guy. He doesnt have that game breaker quality to him but he would be deadly in our offense. Probably wouldn't' want to play second fiddle to Welker in that role though. Will stay in Cinci or sign elsewhere.

Who would you want to sign in the off season?

Last edited:
I like Greer, but I seriously doubt he comes as cheap as you seem to think. TJ Housmanzadah is the only one of the others you mention whom I see as a good fit for NE.

Maybe Crowder from Miami I knew most of the board wanted Crowder from the Gators or you could draft Spikes from FLA in the second round. TJ would be good but how much does he think he is going to command on the open market.

Gross or Columbo(BC) would be a good choice as well. I like the Greer pick up from Buffalo to solidify the DB field.

Greer IMO would be an upgrade. I dont want to draft another CB, as our secondary is already very young and inexperienced. Greer is young but has played in the league for 5 years. Won't demand huge money.

Baltimore - Rey Lewis, Terrel Suggs, Bart Scott - All Linebackers. Will the Ravens be able to keep all 3 of them? IMO the only one worth looking at is Suggs, since we have a young duo of ILBs in Mayo and Guyton. Suggs will demand big money, much like his former teammate Adalius Thomas. Probably too much for NE to even consider.

Carolina - Julius Peppers, Jordan Gross, Chris Gamble - either of the latter two would be a nice addition. Again, with 3 players that will be highly sought after, it's unlikely that Carolina can keep all three. Gamble won't get Asante Samuel type money. He's a player maker. Like Greer, he's young but has good experience.

TJ Housmanzadah
- Teams won't throw him top dollar since he's mainly a #2 guy. He doesnt have that game breaker quality to him but he would be deadly in our offense. Probably wouldn't' want to play second fiddle to Welker in that role though. Will stay in Cinci or sign elsewhere.

The Pats won't pick up the tab for a young cornerback.

This is why they sign 30 year olds like Bryant, Webster, L. Sanders,

and O'Neal to one year contracts at minimum salary.

Last edited:
I would love Anquan Boldin here. He plays hard, smart, and is one hell of a receiver. He would be perfect for opposite Randy Moss.

Q is a FA next year? Wow. Now that's one guy I would mortgage the farm for. Could you imagine him, Moss and Welker in the same team? :eek:

Last edited:
Q is a FA next year? Wow. Now that's one guy I would mortgage the farm for. Could you imagine him, Moss and Welker in the same team? :eek:

Boldin making big impact in Arizona - International Herald Tribune

Boldin's return has overshadowed his unresolved contract situation. An angry Boldin showed up at training camp in Flagstaff and lashed out at the club for failing to follow through on what he said was a promise for a new deal. A few days later, Boldin said he'd like to be traded.

Boldin is in the second year of the four-year, $22.75 million (18 million euros) extension he signed after the 2005 season that keeps him under contract through 2010. He's making an average of $4 million (3 million euros) a year.

At the time, Boldin vowed that his unhappiness with his contract wouldn't affect his play.

"It's a tough situation, especially when you come into a working environment," Boldin said then. "But my job is to stay professional. I'm going to do what I'm supposed to do."

He's under contract, but he wants a new deal or wants to be moved.

Maybe Crowder from Miami I knew most of the board wanted Crowder from the Gators or you could draft Spikes from FLA in the second round. TJ would be good but how much does he think he is going to command on the open market.

Gross or Columbo(BC) would be a good choice as well. I like the Greer pick up from Buffalo to solidify the DB field.
Crowder is a walking brainfart, he hits a ton and is athletic, but he doesn't play smart from all I've ever seen or read about him.

Whats everyone's thoughts on Nnamdi Asomugha? Obviously he'll be big money, but I think with some restructuring and resigning, the Pats should have money for at least one big time free agent. I have not seen to much of Asomughas' play, I mean he plays for Oakland! But I like the fact he is a big player, 6'1"210 lbs. Would be nice since the Pats seem to prefer little cb's. One would think he is physical corner at that size. The problem is is Oakland going to francise him again and is he worth the large contract? Would he fit in the Pats system?

Whats everyone's thoughts on Nnamdi Asomugha? Obviously he'll be big money, but I think with some restructuring and resigning, the Pats should have money for at least one big time free agent. I have not seen to much of Asomughas' play, I mean he plays for Oakland! But I like the fact he is a big player, 6'1"210 lbs. Would be nice since the Pats seem to prefer little cb's. One would think he is physical corner at that size. The problem is is Oakland going to francise him again and is he worth the large contract? Would he fit in the Pats system?

Will he want to sign the franchise tender? Why don't we trade the 1st rounder that we are sure to get for Cassell to Oakland for N.A.? LOL What does Mesolo think of that trade?

Will he want to sign the franchise tender? Why don't we trade the 1st rounder that we are sure to get for Cassell to Oakland for N.A.? LOL What does Mesolo think of that trade?

In the offseason, I hope we only sign 1 UFA, and I hope it is Asomugha. He is perfect for our defense. With him shutting down one half of the field (BB does not prefer to match up CB on the best receiver), BB can play a lot of exotic coverages in the middle and other half of the field to confuse opposing QB's and create much needed turnovers, that the soft zone defense does not get for us.

For free agency, I am thinking one big one and done. If we have to move some salary or restructure Brady, so be it.

In the offseason, I hope we only sign 1 UFA, and I hope it is Asomugha. He is perfect for our defense. With him shutting down one half of the field (BB does not prefer to match up CB on the best receiver), BB can play a lot of exotic coverages in the middle and other half of the field to confuse opposing QB's and create much needed turnovers, that the soft zone defense does not get for us.

For free agency, I am thinking one big one and done. If we have to move some salary or restructure Brady, so be it.

I'd break the bank for Asomugha but aren't the Raiders just going to franchise him again?

I'd break the bank for Asomugha but aren't the Raiders just going to franchise him again?

You would think so, but didn't they just cut a CB they traded a couple of picks for and signed to a 70 million dollar deal?

Davis is unpredictable and apparently very peeved with BB at the moment so who knows.

They used the exclusive franchise tag this year, which means no one's allowed to even make an offer. Presumably, they'd do it again this year.

They used the exclusive franchise tag this year, which means no one's allowed to even make an offer. Presumably, they'd do it again this year.

I can't see BB giving up multiple picks for the guy, so I would rule out a trade.

I like some of the Philly guys. If McNabb is traded and they are going to
re-build. We might be able to get a couple of guys like B.Dawkins- S and
J.Runyan RT. They aren't long-term answers but could help us win a Super
Bowl.

TJ Housmanzadah - Teams won't throw him top dollar since he's mainly a #2 guy. He doesnt have that game breaker quality to him but he would be deadly in our offense. Probably wouldn't' want to play second fiddle to Welker in that role though. Will stay in Cinci or sign elsewhere.

Its all well and good to have depth everywhere but I want depth where we need it.

Sign Cassel as a backup QB, the most important position, and possible starter while TB heals...

It appears that the Pats wil have about 24 million in cap room, and won't need it until 2010 to sign their big FAs. So sign Cassel for a one year and plan on a decision in the uncapped year.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes