PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free Agency - What's Left

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really think there is a whole Gronk thing. The hysteria is based on no news at all.

In some ways I think you're right, but there is also a reality that he needs a 4th surgery. This "news" is based on the fact that they will have to replace his steel plate in his arm and aren't sure if the infection is gone or not. It could be gone, it could not be gone. Unfortunately, we won't know much more for at least another couple of weeks, and even that may be another tainted, speculative article. In the meantime, there is concern from doctors that the infection has persisted, and he will need a 4th surgery.

Just the fact that there is some grey area and a terribly pessimistic headline from fairly credible sources is enough to get the worry meter started; especially at a time when none of our 5 WR's from last year are currently on the team.

One thing to keep in mind is that Gronk's worst case scenario (I shudder to say that because it has gotten worse a few times already) would likely be placement on PUP and the missing of the first 6 or so games of the season.

There have been a lot of issues with a broken forearm however. It isn't like he had quadruple bypass surgery here. For a big man with a relatively common broken forearm, he's certainly had his share of setbacks. That in itself is somewhat alarming.

Boy, talk about a lot of question marks in the TE depth chart. For what it's worth to those who are quietly putting Jake Ballard in the Patriots HOF, Mike Reiss states that his rehabilitation "may put him in the mix for a 2013 roster spot." That doesn't exactly sound like somone who is ready to line him up in 3 TE sets all the time, etc, etc, etc....like we keep hearing from so many posters who are sure he's going to be the next great TE.

The kid from Iowa, Brad Herman is coming off of an Achillies injury suffered in OTA's or TC.

That leaves a questionable Fells, who had injuries of his own, and Hooman--who overachieved but still has quite a limited ceiling and isn't ever going to catch many balls.

Hernandez has missed 10 games himself in 3 years, and that takes us to Gronk...

FWIW--Reiss himself shares some of the realistic possibilities re: Gronk having a 4th surgery etc, although also says that "it's too early to know if he'll miss any time in the regular season."

Gronkowski & Pats' TE depth chart - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

The Pats have shown interest in Lattimore. He should be available Day 2. If his knee holds up, he'd be a steal. He and Ridley would be a two headed monster out of the backfield.

Words alone cannot describe how pissed-off I will become if Bill uses any Day 2 pick on a RB.
I wouldn't be happy if he uses even a Day 3 pick on one of them.
I do feel however that there is a need for another Power Back, at the very least to provide
competition for Bolden. Peyton Hillis & Rashad Jennings top my list, and they shouldn't be difficult
signings post-draft. Michael Turner, Kevin Smith, Beanie Wells & Jackie Battle are other possibilities,
as will be future UDFAs such as Bolden was last year. Hillis & Battle have added value as FBs.

I also agree with the OP that there is a need at interior OL to fill the hole created by the loss
of Donald Thomas. Kevin Boothe would've been absolutely perfect, and Chris Spencer a good
Plan B. Brandon Moore might wait until a starting job becomes available. Other options include
Tyrone Green, Leroy Harris, Antoine Caldwell, Doug Legursky, Jake Scott & Mike Pollack.

There is at least one thread dedicated to the vast wasteland of our WR group, so I won't go
into any further detail here.

And as the OP also stated, there are needs at Pass-Rusher & Coverage OLB.
Abraham is the only difference-maker at DE remaining who isn't asking for $6M/year. There is
not enough talent here, proven or otherwise, for Bill to rationalize not signing him to a $3M deal.
Daryl Smith, Nick Barnett & Thomas Howard are the best available UFA Coverage OLBs. However,
all 3 have age/injury issues, and likely have little ST value. Akeem Jordan & Quincy Black both
have youth & ST ability, but not the same coverage savvy.

Finally, we still need another vet CB. Unless Boston's own Chris Gamble can be coaxed out of
retirement, then Bill should decide btwn Antoine Winfield, Sheldon Brown, Quentin Jammer,
Jacob Lacy or Mike Jenkins, in that order.

The way things are going, a TE seems to be not out of the question.

Words alone cannot describe how pissed-off I will become if Bill uses any Day 2 pick on a RB.
I wouldn't be happy if he uses even a Day 3 pick on one of them.
I do feel however that there is a need for another Power Back, at the very least to provide
competition for Bolden. Peyton Hillis & Rashad Jennings top my list, and they shouldn't be difficult
signings post-draft. Michael Turner, Kevin Smith, Beanie Wells & Jackie Battle are other possibilities,
as will be future UDFAs such as Bolden was last year. Hillis & Battle have added value as FBs.

I also agree with the OP that there is a need at interior OL to fill the hole created by the loss
of Donald Thomas. Kevin Boothe would've been absolutely perfect, and Chris Spencer a good
Plan B. Brandon Moore might wait until a starting job becomes available. Other options include
Tyrone Green, Leroy Harris, Antoine Caldwell, Doug Legursky, Jake Scott & Mike Pollack.

There is at least one thread dedicated to the vast wasteland of our WR group, so I won't go
into any further detail here.

And as the OP also stated, there are needs at Pass-Rusher & Coverage OLB.
Abraham is the only difference-maker at DE remaining who isn't asking for $6M/year. There is
not enough talent here, proven or otherwise, for Bill to rationalize not signing him to a $3M deal.
Daryl Smith, Nick Barnett & Thomas Howard are the best available UFA Coverage OLBs. However,
all 3 have age/injury issues, and likely have little ST value. Akeem Jordan & Quincy Black both
have youth & ST ability, but not the same coverage savvy.

Finally, we still need another vet CB. Unless Boston's own Chris Gamble can be coaxed out of
retirement, then Bill should decide btwn Antoine Winfield, Sheldon Brown, Quentin Jammer,

I don't get all the Ballard love either...people saying if gronk is gone for some reason he can come in and step in for him...yeah we have yet to see that and he is still rehabbing.... Not sure why everyone thinks he will put up great numbers here really based on nothing

I'd be interested in another vet CB, but the price for some of these guys is going to be too high. It may be better to select one in the draft--based on the possibility of losing Talib after this season.

I don't get all the Ballard love either...people saying if gronk is gone for some reason he can come in and step in for him...yeah we have yet to see that and he is still rehabbing.... Not sure why everyone thinks he will put up great numbers here really based on nothing

Misconceptions spread around here like wildfire, that's about what it comes down to. We see plenty of these examples almost every day.

The sudden thought of Jake Ballard being 100% healthy and instantly becoming a force to be reckoned with is nothing more than a hope at this point.

The way things are going, a TE seems to be not out of the question.

I'd hate to use one of our few draft picks this year on another TE, though.
Maybe Bill should bring Kevin Boss & David Thomas to HQ, and then choose btwn the two.
Either should be easily affordable, and cuttable should Gronk recover in time.

It might be safe to say that HooHoo will be re-signed, and that Fells isn't going anywhere.

I'd be interested in another vet CB, but the price for some of these guys is going to be too high. It may be better to select one in the draft--based on the possibility of losing Talib after this season.

Even better to select one in the draft (within the first 2 rounds, 3 at the latest) and also to sign one of the vets.
It appears clearer by the day that Bill will draft both a CB & WR within the first 3 rounds.

Most folks act as if we solved the CB problem long-term by signing Talib for one year. You are right to think we need a corner.

Most of the mediots understand the need for a corner. Reiss has led the charge. Many have had us choosing a CB at #29, certainly by the end of the second.

Most folks act as if we solved the CB problem long-term by signing Talib for one year. You are right to think we need a corner.

Most of the mediots understand the need for a corner. Reiss has led the charge. Many have had us choosing a CB at #29, certainly by the end of the second.

i would have loved grimes or aso at the prices they were given

Peterson's recovery has changed the game for expectations but i still don't see Belichick using a first on him, I think he is doing his homework in case he drops. I also think the same can be said of much of their pre-draft work.

First never maybe a 4th or 5th if he can pick one up in some type of trade. Remember this is his 2nd knee injury.

There's a reason why both were given the contracts they received. Asomugha was incredibly poor with the Eagles and his skills look to have regressed where Grimes is coming back from (outside an ankle or elbow) the worst injury an explosive athlete could have the misfortune to rehab.

I think we will draft Logan Ryan out of Rutgers in round 3 if he drops that far which appears to be likely.

There's a reason why both were given the contracts they received. Asomugha was incredibly poor with the Eagles and his skills look to have regressed where Grimes is coming back from (outside an ankle or elbow) the worst injury an explosive athlete could have the misfortune to rehab.

I also think that there may be a fine line between preparing ourselves for a future need (assuming the loss of Talib, and/or injuries) by selecting a developmental CB, and potentially wasting a roster spot by going after a player who will cost a couple/few million dollars this season.

In other words--do we need another CB? Of course we do, but that CB may also be chosen via the usual routes of lower depth chart signings in a veteran or even a mid to late round pick.

We have starters at the moment in Talib, Dennard, Arrington, and possibly even Dowling--since we have to certainly include him in the mix and can't keep complaining about an injured player. That gives us 4 at the moment, with the possibility of having McCourty either move back permanently, or rotate back and forth like we saw in SB46. Either way you look at it, we definitely have at least 4-5 starters right now. I don't see anything more than some usual depth competition and or a developmental choice in the draft. It's my belief that a good argument could be made for wasting too much money and resources on this position, with other positions needing attending to.

However, no one can answer that question unless they knew what Belichick's personal thoughts were regarding a number of variables. He may surprise me and select someone in the top 2 rounds, but I'm expecting something in the mid/later round range myself.

A vet like Sheldon Brown or Antonine Winfield would be great, but probably wouldn't see much, if any playing time, and really wouldn't justify the cost. I'm assuming the same came into play when considering players such as Asomugah etc, who came relatively cheap. Grimes probably comes into a totally different category altogether, due to market cost and injury concen.

First never maybe a 4th or 5th if he can pick one up in some type of trade. Remember this is his 2nd knee injury.

It's unknown whether or not anyone will take a shot at Lattimore.

I've still seen a lot of projections that have him taken before Eddie Lacy.

He honestly could go anywhere from 2nd to 4th in my opinion. The fact that he's claiming to be ready to go for 2013 obviously helped him a lot. Whether or not that is reality remains to be seen.

All corners are developmental picks, except perhaps blue-chip studs, usually picked in the first dozen picks.

I guess a lot does depend on how Belichick views Dennard and Dowling. However, it would seem to be prudent to draft a corner for the future. I would like this to be a #2 or #3 since we are looking for a potential starter.

I also think that there may be a fine line between preparing ourselves for a future need (assuming the loss of Talib, and/or injuries) by selecting a developmental CB, and potentially wasting a roster spot by going after a player who will cost a couple/few million dollars this season.

In other words--do we need another CB? Of course we do, but that CB may also be chosen via the usual routes of lower depth chart signings in a veteran or even a mid to late round pick.

We have starters at the moment in Talib, Dennard, Arrington, and possibly even Dowling--since we have to certainly include him in the mix and can't keep complaining about an injured player. That gives us 4 at the moment, with the possibility of having McCourty either move back permanently, or rotate back and forth like we saw in SB46. Either way you look at it, we definitely have at least 4-5 starters right now. I don't see anything more than some usual depth competition and or a developmental choice in the draft. It's my belief that a good argument could be made for wasting too much money and resources on this position, with other positions needing attending to.

However, no one can answer that question unless they knew what Belichick's personal thoughts were regarding a number of variables. He may surprise me and select someone in the top 2 rounds, but I'm expecting something in the mid/later round range myself.

A vet like Sheldon Brown or Antonine Winfield would be great, but probably wouldn't see much, if any playing time, and really wouldn't justify the cost. I'm assuming the same came into play when considering players such as Asomugah etc, who came relatively cheap. Grimes probably comes into a totally different category altogether, due to market cost and injury concen.

That is silly. Mallett has done nothing in his 2 years in the league that would elevate his draft slot 70 spots. If anything in a redraft he would fall farther because Brady has remained healthy and ultimately he may end up as a wasted pick who never plays, so in hindsight the Pats would pass, and he would slide further.

Silly? A player almost universally considered a first round talent that slipped because of 'character' issues, spends 2 years attached at the hip to one of the greatest QB's and coaches of all time, commits nary the slightest offense, and is praised by BB and Brady as willing to work hard and learn. So this would have been 1st round QB fixes his character issues, is mentored and instructed by the best there are in the NFL, and you think it's "silly" to believe his value may have increased significantly? That sir, is probably the silliest thing I've read on this site in a while.

Yeah, sitting and learning from the best always ruins a player - all GM's know that. Just ask them about Aaron Rodgers, or maybe Tony Romo. Wait, how about Tom Brady? Colin Kaepernick, Brett Farve, or Matt Hasselback? And those are only some recent stars. Yeah, standing around holding a clipboard is certain to devalue a quarterback. Yup, it's silly that he could become better than he was coming out of college. Silly, silly, silly!

True enough, but I never count on individual players, especially after Round 1. Unless there are 3 RB's that we want projected to be picked around where we pick, I have little confidence of getting one.

For one, he's not a vet. But, when healthy, he was one of the best RB's in all of college football. For another, you do realize that every RB currently on our roster was picked after Round 1, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes