PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free Agency - What's Left

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I would hope that the DL and WR decisions will be made before the draft. Also, there is the issue of whether we will be successful in securing an RFA; this doesn't happen often. This is truly collusion by the owners (not technically but certainly in practice).

DL
Will we get Abraham, Sweeney or neither?

WR
Will we get Edelman and/or Lloyd or someone else?

It must frustrating for Lloyd and Edelman to be listed as the best WR's out there, and yet they get little interest. Mayock thinks that it is likely that Lloyd will be back. I'm sure there will also be some JAG signings. another Jenkins or two or three.

OG
IMHO, we are still one player short. Personally, I would like to sign Brandon Moore, who is ranked much better as a RG than Connolly. Moore wouldn't be expensive. Even cheaper would be an equivalent of Svitek. We do need to sign a couple. After all, we almost always lose one OL in camp due to retirement or simply not showing up (like last year).

LB
A coverage linebacker is possible, although Belichick may think that between Fletcher and Wilson he has that role covered.

RB
It is not clear to me that Belichick won't sign a veteran as a backup and for short yardage (as an upgrade to Bolden). I've been here before with Green-Ellis, so perhaps I am making the same mistake again. I would consider almost any short-yardage vet an upgrade.

I would hope that the DL and WR decisions will be made before the draft. Also, there is the issue of whether we will be successful in securing an RFA; this doesn't happen often. This is truly collusion by the owners (not technically but certainly in practice).

DL

WR

It must frustrating for Lloyd and Edelman to be listed as the best WR's out there, and yet they get little interest. Mayock thinks that it is likely that Lloyd will be back. I'm sure there will also be some JAG signings. another Jenkins or two or three.

OG
IMHO, we are still one player short. Personally, I would like to sign Brandon Moore, who is ranked much better as a RG than Connolly. Moore wouldn't be expensive. Even cheaper would be an equivalent of Svitek. We do need to sign a couple. After all, we almost always lose one OL in camp due to retirement or simply not showing up (like last year).

LB
A coverage linebacker is possible, although Belichick may think that between Fletcher and Smith he has that role covered.

RB
It is not clear to me that Belichick won't sign a veteran as a backup and for short yardage (as an upgrade to Bolden). I've been here before with Green-Ellis, so perhaps I am making the same mistake again. I would consider almost any short-yardage vet an upgrade.

The Pats have shown interest in Lattimore. He should be available Day 2. If his knee holds up, he'd be a steal. He and Ridley would be a two headed monster out of the backfield.

True enough, but I never count on individual players, especially after Round 1. Unless there are 3 RB's that we want projected to be picked around where we pick, I have little confidence of getting one.

The Pats have shown interest in Lattimore. He should be available Day 2. If his knee holds up, he'd be a steal. He and Ridley would be a two headed monster out of the backfield.

DL

WR

OG

LB
A coverage linebacker is possible, although Belichick may think that between Fletcher and Smith he has that role covered.

RB

For the purpose of depth I wouldn't mind taking a look at Matt Toeaina who the Bears just released. He has been a solid in the past.

LB

Who is Smith?

I would really like to see the Pats get Abraham for 1yr 2.5 million as a situational passrush, then resign edelman, and possibly kick the tires on Charles Woodson???

I'm not sure a 3rd RB is really a great pick given the needs of the team and the draft picks at hand. I do like Lattimore and wouldn't be displeased if they used the 3rd to take him, but there are more pressing needs.

Understand that we are likely to try to trade down with both our 1st and 2nd.

I'm not sure a 3rd RB is really a great pick given the needs of the team and the draft picks at hand. I do like Lattimore and wouldn't be displeased if they used the 3rd to take him, but there are more pressing needs.

Try is the operative word. That said I agree with possibly trying to trade the 1st but our 2nd is so low that you're saying the draft is REALLY deep. I'd like to use our 3rd to trade up in the 2nd.

I doubt that the Pats trade down - the cost of late first and second rounders are a genuine value for three years. Draft picks are worth more than ever, particularly for a team like the Pats that does not have to rely on rookies to carry the team - rookies have time to develop and learn from veterans who understand how things work around Foxboro.

The Patriots tend to pick OL (including tight ends) or DL with their first pick in the draft, unless there is a glaring need. This year, there really is no glaring need. It's really pretty exciting this year. Every position group is solid to very good. Wide receiver is the one question mark, and if they re-sign Lloyd, they have a solid group of veterans - not great, but competent.

Since there is a need for a competent backup on both lines, I suspect they go OL and DL in rounds #1 and #2. Probably in that order. The depth in this draft at OL and DL is not that great - it never really is.

That suggests to me that they sign a couple of receivers (Lloyd and Edelman still make sense) and some JAGs over the next couple of months. I just wonder if there is one big move coming on offense - a reclamation project along the lines of Moss or Corey Dillon. I don't know who that might be, but it just feels like Belichick will make a headline grabbing move in the next few weeks.

I did day "try". I do not think that it is automatic at all. As always, it may depend on the quarterbacks available.

I understand your idea of drafting 2 good men and going home (our 1st and trading up in the 2nd). Understand that if we get a 2nd and 3rd for our first, we could likely trade our 3rds for a second and have 3 seconds, three good men.

I do think that there is value through the 3rd and expect us to make four picks in the first 3 rounds; one of which might be for an RFA, or not.

Try is the operative word. That said I agree with possibly trying to trade the 1st but our 2nd is so low that you're saying the draft is REALLY deep. I'd like to use our 3rd to trade up in the 2nd.

I did day "try". I do not think that it is automatic at all. As always, it may depend on the quarterbacks available.

I understand your idea of drafting 2 good men and going home (our 1st and trading up in the 2nd). Understand that if we get a 2nd and 3rd for our first, we could likely trade our 3rds for a second and have 3 seconds, three good men.

I do think that there is value through the 3rd and expect us to make four picks in the first 3 rounds; one of which might be for an RFA, or not.

I think they will make this trade, #29, Mallet to Browns for #6 and #68. They will then take Dion Jordan at 6 which is why they scheduled the visit.

Not where I was going. Down in the 1st gives us 2 picks plus our 2nd & 3rd. Use our 3rd to go up with our 2nd. That's 3 good players not 2.

what are the chances we start using 3 safety sets with wilson replacing a LB and devin playing FS with another guy? (either on the roster or incoming)

might be a potent personnel set for passing situations

I think they will make this trade, #29, Mallet to Browns for #6 and #68. They will then take Dion Jordan at 6 which is why they scheduled the visit.

Its unlikely, but holy **** I like it!!

Wouldn't mind trading down the 6th pick and get Patterson/Austin.

what are the chances we start using 3 safety sets with wilson replacing a LB and devin playing FS with another guy? (either on the roster or incoming)

I think it's highly likely that in certain sub packages the LB will be Mayo and A Wilson with McCourty and T Wilson playing safety. I'd actually say its definite.

Its unlikely, but holy **** I like it!!

Wouldn't mind trading down the 6th pick and get Patterson/Austin.

Basically you pick up 23 spots in the 1st and a 3rd rounder for Mallet it's a good deal for both sides IMO especially if Lombardi is as high on Mallet as suggested.

I would be shocked, totally wrong in my estimation of Mallet's worth, and pleased as hell were this or something close to it to happen. I'd trade down from the 6th if somebody's willing.

Thats the big nickel

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill